"Muppets Take Manhatten" Revisited

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Anyways MTM seems to be the most easy-to-get muppet film, I mean it's always on TV and the DVD is literally everywhere!
You know, back in the 1990s, it seems like this was the hardest Muppet film to find a non-rental video copy of. Most video stores and libraries had it, but finding a copy to buy was hard... I remember back then seeing copies to buy at Suncoast (which I didn't go to often back then) and Kroger, though whenever I did see a video copy I didn't have the money for it. I sort of wonder if it was harder to find in stores because it was the one Muppet movie (at the time) to not be released by Jim Henson Video (though I feel that shouldn't have been the case).

Of course, this reminds me of when I first got the internet. The first Muppet website I saw was Jon Cooke's Muppets and Stuff, which my mom had printed some pages from on her work computer (at home we wouldn't get the internet for another month or two), including the video guide. I saw "out of print" listed by The Muppets Take Manhattan, and I believed it. Then I'd see a Muppet FAQ which, after linking to the video guide, made a few corrections (unless the FAQ was wrong), stating that MTM was in print but hard to find (for the record, after that I never saw a copy of the movie to purchase again until Jim Henson Home Entertainment rereleased it in 1999).

And back then, it seems like this movie got just as much TV exposure as the others (though it seems people constantly say it's broadcast more than the others). All of the original trilogy was frequently broadcast on premium channels and it seems each of them was broadcast at least once a year on local TV, though I mainly remember it being "once a year" more than "at least once a year".

Princeton

Reaction score
Well folks, today marks the 30th anniversary of the release of "The Muppets Take Manhattan"!