Labyrinth Fandom History

Rachael

Reaction score
Introduction/Part One/Part Two/Part Three/Part Four/Part Five

I thought I'd post links to this here, as it's something I've been working on for a while and I figured that it will probably be of interest to some of the patrons here. It's pretty long (as in almost 10,000 words long altogether!) but I like to think it's rather interesting and offers some good insights into the surprising development of the Labyrinth fandom. I've always found the Labyrinth fandom to be quite distinct from the more general Muppets/Henson fandom, though there is of course crossover.

Let me know if you have any thoughts/if there are any points you would like to contribute.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Great overview, thanks! But does the Labyrinth fandom only consist of written fan fiction?

Certainly not...

Rachael

Reaction score
Glad you liked it! I don't only discuss fanfic, though that is the main focus - I cover memorabilia, fanart and official licensed material. I'm aware some people in the fandom engage in different ways (as you do with your reproductions) but fanfic is what I personally have the most knowledge of. Also, I find the groups that produce fanfic/fanart the most interesting segments of the fandom because they're really expanding on the narrative of the film in interesting and exciting ways.

Laszlo

Reaction score
I understand why you prefer fanfics. But there are some fan art that I find absolutely amazing. They should be mentioned also. (No, I do not speak of my own work).

Rachael

Reaction score
Oh yes, I totally agree - I do cover fanart in the history, just not as much as I do fanfiction (which is mainly because the fanfic community is far more organised and vocal than the fanart community) - I specifically discuss the fanart of Pika La Cynique and AsheRhyder as their webcomics have been very influential. Is there any particular artist or artwork you felt wasn't covered? I'm totally open to revising the history, though I won't include stories/art etc. purely on the basis of their perceived merit - they have to have drawn a reaction or been influential in some way.

Laszlo

Reaction score
... though I won't include stories/art etc. purely on the basis of their perceived merit - they have to have drawn a reaction or been influential in some way.
Depends on influential for whom? LOL!