Your Thoughts: The Street We Live On

What did you think of "The Street We Live On" special?

• I thought it was good

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • I was very disappointed

Votes: 52 57.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

reevefan

Reaction score
I gave up on the current SS a long time ago..

After Sony wonder butchered the Christmas LP from 1975 and dubbed in Muppet voices, I stopped watching Sesame Street entirely. I even sold off most of my Elmo toys and put all my other SS stuff in perminent storage. I did catch the end sequence one day and noticed that Jim's name was removed from the credits! :eek:

After that, I thought NO MORE!

I did get a response that "you have to stay current" and all that BS. Leave the original recordings alone... make your own albums and don't butcher the originals...

I even sold off my Bob McGrath stuff when his wife wrote and told me that she did all the letter writing for him.

Sesame Street died when Jim died....

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
DTF said:
Sesame Street: Back to the Future - the 35th Anniversary done right

Opening shows Grover in his professor’s cap at school:
Grover: All right, children. Today, we have a special treat. Dr. Egret Brown (an egret in a brown coat) is going to teach you all about time!

Egret: Children, this is a clock. It is now ten o’clock. If I move the minute hand around like this (hand moves around clock) it will go around one hour. That will be eleven o’clock.

Elmo: Professor, Elmo has a question.

Grover: Yes, Elmo, what is it?

Elmo: Well, Elmo wonders why time can’t go backwards.

Grover: Backwards, you say? Why, that is a very good question. Professor Egret, why can’t time go backwards?

Egret: Why not?

Grover: That is what I just asked you, is it not?

Telly: Uh, well, if I may, not to take anything away from such a smart man as yourself, but if time could go backwards, we would never know if we were early or late, would we?

Egret: Let me answer all of your questions with a siple solution. Time canot go backwards; but we can.

Telly: We can? How?

Elmo: Yeah, Elmo wants to know.

Egret: Well, let me tell you…

(Elmo’s World opening, Elmo is thinking about Sesame Street)

Grover (rushing in) You are just in time, Elmo.

Elmo: Oh, it’s Elmo’s friend Grover. Time for what, Grover?

Grover: Why, Elmo, do you not remember what the professor taught us? Is is time to go BACK (dramatic hand gesture) to the future. (Thinks) Wait a minute - I suppose we would really be going forward to the past.

Elmo: Oh. Well, Elmo was just thinking about Sesame Street.

Grover: What a coincidence. Because that is what the professor was thinking about, too!

Elmo: He was?

Grover: Yes. And, if you will come with me, I can show you his invention.

(Grover, Elmo, and numerous other Muppets on the street, he is in his taxicap)

Grover: The professor and I have worked long and hard on this machine, and now it is ready. ( To Elmo: Now, what may I show you?

Elmo: Well, Elmo would like to see what the street was like before he was born.

Grover: Then that is where I shall take you. All right, everyone, stand back, while I set the dials and press some buttons. Fasten your seatbelts, for we are about to raise our horsepower to the power of ten.

Elmo: Why ten?

Child: I now, I know! I’ll be that’s the number of the day!

Grover: What a bright young lady. Here we go…

(Camera shifts to the classic 10 segment shown on the real special -that was a keeper!)

(Grover and Elmo are in the taxi as Gordon and a young girl are walking as we see in the start of the final montage of clips)

Gordon: You’ll love Sesame Street; everything happens here.

Elmo: Who was that?

Grover: That, my friend, is Gordon. Now…oh oh.

Elmo: Is something wrong, Grover?

Grover: Yes, the capacitor seems to be stuck. Apparently one of the Professor’s assistants did not properly install it.

Elmo: What was that?

Groever: Some fellow named Gilligan.

Elmo: So if this Gilligan messed up the Professor’s stuff, how do we get home?

Groever: That is a good question. Hmmm, I suppose we shall have to go ask Oscar.

Elmo: Oscar was here. Oh, boy. (Camera shifts to show Elmo and Grover in a scene with an orange Oscar) Hey, that’s not Oscar. He’s orange, and Oscar is green.

Grover: Oscar was orange when he first came to Sesame Street. (Insert explanation of why he changed)

Elmo: Wow, Elmo is learning lots of cool stuff!

Grover: Yes, now let us go ask Oscar to borrow several things. A chewing gum wrapper, a piece off an old tire, and a broken nail.

Elmo: That will fix the time machine?

Grover: No, actually, it will only get us forward a few years. We are going to have to keep borrowing things to fuel the engine until we reach the present. But, do not fear, we shall have fun along the way, learning all about Sesame Street’s history…

-------------------------------------

And then, of course, you'd have them in different scenes along the way, viewing classic Sesame Street footage, skits, and moments. And of course, they finally get home.

Just thought I'd expand on what I said earlier; this would have been a real treat, and also would have kept the young ones who do want Elmo happy.
That was good. I liked the part with Oscar, but maybe you could have put in an explanation of why Gordon changed. After all, he was played by a different actor in the first season. Other than that, I enjoyed reading it.

maxdrive

Reaction score
i saw it not to long on seseme street i hated the fact it was almsont competely a logn elmos world and they only barily touched on the past i did liek seeing the song of 10 bit though i forgot about that but it allc ame back to me witht he 10 chocolate layer cakes lol too funny but i wish they would touched more on mr hooper and each of the caracters more made it longer then they did

Censored

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
That was good. I liked the part with Oscar, but maybe you could have put in an explanation of why Gordon changed. After all, he was played by a different actor in the first season. Other than that, I enjoyed reading it.

The perfect explanation for why Gordon changed would be that he was hanging around the Amazing Mumford who kept doing his magic on him.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Technically, it's both a special and a regular episode due to the costs/time involved to produce it.
How much does it cost to produce an episode of Sesame Street?

DTF

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
The perfect explanation for why Gordon changed would be that he was hanging around the Amazing Mumford who kept doing his magic on him.
That would have been perfect for inclusion, yes. And have them go to Mr. Hooper's several times. I wonder if they could have gotten some of the characters to interact with them? I always loved the "banana in my ear" sketch, & Ernie could have given them the banana after they showed that sketch for the B&E fans.

SesameStreetGuy

Reaction score
I didn't really like this special much, of coarse by the looks of it, I knew I wouldn't be expecting much. :frown:

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Why Was The Count's Cape Purple Instead Of Green Inside Elmo's World :confused:
I think they had to do this because since they were shooting in bluescreen, The Count's cape had to be changed in order to be visible in the bluescreen.

I know that The Count's cape was also purple in episode 4109 (Abby Cadabby's Debut ep.), Elmo's World: Friends, the playlist intros at the Sesamstreet.org website, and in the promo photo for "Five By", a parody of Train's "Drive By" starring Train themselves, along with Elmo and The Count.

DePingPong

Reaction score
I remember watching this the day it aired, I was around 7 or 8, I know, I'm young. But, I'm not young enough to not remember any old SST. (Currently 17, 18 in March)

I grew up with 1997-2007 SST, I'd occasionally watch it here and there after '07 also grew up with 123 Sesame Street on Noggin (1993-1994 episodes), I had tons of the Sesame Songs and My Sesame Street Home Video VHS tapes, so I was exposed to plenty of Classic SST.

I watched the 25th anniversary numerous times, I've seen the 20th a few times. I loved Elmopalooza to death cause I grew up with Elmo, so ultimately he was my favorite character. What was great about Elmopalooza was that it wasn't so much Elmo. He was here and there. There was plenty of other characters which made it enjoyable, the colorful cast of muppets is what I really love about SST, which was current SST seems to lack, it's Elmo and Abby centered, I can't stand Abby honestly, which is one of the reasons why I won't watch current SST, but I digress.

Back to the 35th special, I never liked Elmo's World, no matter how big of an Elmo fan I was. EW drags on, I got un-involved. I really appreciated the classic clips and the timeline, cause I never knew the Sesame of 1969-1992, so that got me really interested. I knew it was a special, so I knew the EW format wasn't right. I can't remember much of what I saw, but I do remember that I didn't enjoy it. Maybe I expected something like the 25th, but who knows, I can't remember.

People say SST is aimed at 3-5 yrs, and maybe a 7 year old could've enjoyed it, in my case at least. Classic SST is also aimed for most of you, the people who grew up with it. But personally, Classic > Modern. I'm happy to have access to the Old School sets, classic clips online, the 40 Years DVD set, the Spoofs set, the episodes on iTunes, the re-releases of classic SST VHS tapes onto DVD. Classic SST really catches my attention, has many of my favorites, Herry, Sherlock, Honkers, Dingers, Snuffy, Mumford, YipYips, Kermit, AM Monsters/minor monster characters. All of these characters of many colors, voices, personality and whatnot all blended together just makes for an awesome experience, as of now, Elmo and Abby make for a mediocre experience.

Even though I grew up with "dumbed down" SST, I'm in love the classics, absolutely in love, haha.

I got TOTALLY sidetracked, but eh, I don't remember much of the 35th special. I was upset that they didn't go into more detail about Mr. Hooper cause I really wanted to know who he was at the time. Maybe I'll give it another watch to form a better opinion, maybe I'll watch it now...