Movies You Like But Everyone Else Hates.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I honestly liked the first Chipmunk film, and it's allegory of new music talent getting abused by the record companies (if this was intentional or not). I'm mixed about the second. There's a lot to like in the second, and then there's a lot I felt was just the same lame tropes they shove into kid's movies to get 2 year olds to giggle. I didn't bother with the third, but saw some of it on cable at someone's house on Christmas... I wasn't exactly enjoying it, but (and this sums up my feeling about the whole film series and the poor casting choice of Dave) it took 3 movies for Dave to actually have fatherly feelings for his adoptive sons. In one sequence, they actually managed to humanize him, instead of having him grumble through a script for a pay check. Something he wouldn't bother to do in the second one.

Eyeball

Reaction score
.... Like almost two years ago. 'Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked'. And apparently there's a fourth happening next year.
oh wow, completely slipped past me, but my feelings are similar to drtooth's the first one was thouroughly enjoyable but the second one was not a patch on the 1st one, as for the third one, ill watch it tonight and make my mind up on it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The second one would have been better if Jason Lee just gritted his teeth and did the movie as Dave instead of forcing the filmmakers to get that talentless hack who played "estranged cousin that totally exists," who's subplot and romantic plot tumor (in a freaking movie with an organic romantic subplot between the Chipmunks and the Chipettes, mind you) ruined the enjoyability of the film. That, the random (and useless) commercials for references to Meerkat Manor, and that idiotic sequence with the random NASCAR mascot. Essentially, it's both a good and bad movie. If you edit it down and recut it the right way, you have a pretty good half hour special.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
The second one would have been better if Jason Lee just gritted his teeth and did the movie as Dave instead of forcing the filmmakers to get that talentless hack who played "estranged cousin that totally exists," who's subplot and romantic plot tumor (in a freaking movie with an organic romantic subplot between the Chipmunks and the Chipettes, mind you) ruined the enjoyability of the film. That, the random (and useless) commercials for references to Meerkat Manor, and that idiotic sequence with the random NASCAR mascot. Essentially, it's both a good and bad movie. If you edit it down and recut it the right way, you have a pretty good half hour special.
Ohhhhhhhhh! That's who that little thing was...I saw he at Universal one time, and wasn't sure who he was....after rewatching the movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, I thought it was some sort of weird Easter Egg at first, referencing something from an earlier Chipmunks bit... but I was annoyed as heck to find out it was a useless product placement. I'd almost call it a BLAM, but I'd have to rewatch it for sure to verify that.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium...intelligent film with a sense of whimsy and yet a very serious a mature story lying just below the surface. I think the fact it dealt with death turns people off, but I find the way it deals with this inspiring. I show it to my students every year (bonus: I also have a copy of Edward Magorium's biography which makes the story that much more enjoyable....though it is called a compendium actually...so it is an alphabetized biography)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm unashamed to say I liked both Live Action Flintstones movies, even the second one that nobody likes. They're both visually awesome. I've seen lots of cartoons as live action films that just didn't care, and went for the lowest budget possible. But to create the entire world of Bedrock in fiberglass and foam? You can't deny that there's a lot of care into a film that feels the need to make so many Easter Eggs (before they were a thing) to make sure the film felt authentic. I mean, Popeye lucked out on finding a worn down (but livable) sea town, and Speed Racer owes mostly to digital effects and lighting (and those are the only ones that put the semblance of detail into the setting). But Flintstones blew its budget twice on background settings that look fantastic. That should be celebrated.

Other than that, and I hate to say this, I liked these movies MORE than A Man Called Flintstone. Then again, I was slightly disappointed by that one. Fred becomes a spy like 15 minutes to the end of the film, and there's WAAAAAAAY too much filler of Pebbles and Bamm Bamm singing (or being sung about) that come off as BLAM's. Not even funny ones. Cloyingly cute ones.

As for the live action Yogi movie over the Hey There, it's Yogi Bear animated film? Yeah. Hey there by a trillion lightyears. EVEN with the horrible singing voices the characters have.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
My daid, in general, does not like remake movies at all like my mom and I do, because he does not care if the remakes are better or worse than the originals.

Tell your dad that The Muppets isn't a "remake movie".

I'm unashamed to say I liked both Live Action Flintstones movies, even the second one that nobody likes.
I was surprised to learn that a lot of people dislike the first one. Maybe there's just as many people who like it as there are those who hate it? I also liked the second one.

Drtooth said:
Other than that, and I hate to say this, I liked these movies MORE than A Man Called Flintstone. Then again, I was slightly disappointed by that one. Fred becomes a spy like 15 minutes to the end of the film, and there's WAAAAAAAY too much filler of Pebbles and Bamm Bamm singing (or being sung about) that come off as BLAM's. Not even funny ones. Cloyingly cute ones.
I like those Pebbles and Bamm Bamm songs.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm unashamed to say I liked both Live Action Flintstones movies, even the second one that nobody likes. They're both visually awesome. I've seen lots of cartoons as live action films that just didn't care, and went for the lowest budget possible. But to create the entire world of Bedrock in fiberglass and foam? You can't deny that there's a lot of care into a film that feels the need to make so many Easter Eggs (before they were a thing) to make sure the film felt authentic.
The first Flintstones movie also had some great Creature Shop effects with Dino and the others.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I was surprised to learn that a lot of people dislike the first one.
I really loved what the actors did for the characters in the first Flintstones movie. But I can understand why the movie isn't universally praised. The overall execution is a bit confused and some things that work well in cartoons just end up looking weird and awkward in real life, lol.