The Missing Link Hogthrob

snichols1973

Reaction score
I thought he looked a little different there, and assumed it was a new puppet. But maybe it was just an "aged" puppet. Before the movie, had the Strangepork puppet ever been rebuilt or altered (not counting him being altered from Dr. Nauga and a generic brown-haired pig from the first season)?
According to the Origins section of Dr. Strangepork's MuppetWiki profile:

Dr. Nauga, a character bearing a striking resemblance to Dr. Strangepork, appeared in a sketch called "Return to Beneath the Planet of the Pigs" on TMS: S&V.

The puppet, refurbished with brown hair and eyebrows, was part of the pig ensemble in the first season of TMS and appeared in various At The Dance and Panel Discussion sketches, among others.

The pig's white hair was restored for the second season, and he was thereafter known as Dr. Strangepork. His name and German dialect is a likely nod to the title character (played by Peter Sellers) of the 1964 film Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Link has also been known for starring in the animated "Pigs in Space" segments of Little Muppet Monsters, as well as an animated cameo in the "Eight Flags Over the Nursery" episode of Muppet Babies; the footage was borrowed from the second aired episode of LMM.

These reference links (no pun intended) have a bit more info on the animated Link Hogthrob
(voiced by Bob Bergen):

http://www.muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_808:_Eight_Flags_Over_the_Nursery
http://www.muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Link_Hogthrob_(animated)

Whatnot1988

Reaction score
Interesting, snichols1973. When I had an idea for a "new" Pigs in Space animated series, I'd always picture Jeff Bennett voicing Link (essentially a drowsier version of his Johnny Bravo voice). I'll have to check this one out.

Anyways, it's nice to know an old favorite character of ours has returned. Whoever did his voice in the recent QVC spots sounded spot-on, IMO.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
You know now that I've seen a lot of TMS episodes, when I watch the muppet movies, I kind of miss Link. He was somewhat of a secondary character on TMS, but he didn't even have a role or even a line in TMM, GMC, MTM, MCC, MTI, or MFS.

Mr Sweetums

Reaction score
I've been happily shocked at the return of Link Hogthrob in the recent years, I did not expect to ever see him again and now he's back and I'm so happy. Am I wrong to say that until The Muppets (2011) came out Link had not been seen since his brief cameo in MTI? :smile::attitude::concern::shifty::embarrassed::confused::eek:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I've been happily shocked at the return of Link Hogthrob in the recent years, I did not expect to ever see him again and now he's back and I'm so happy. Am I wrong to say that until The Muppets (2011) came out Link had not been seen since his brief cameo in MTI? :smile::attitude::concern::shifty::embarrassed::confused::eek:
Actually, Link's last appearence before The Muppets (2011) was a cameo in the boarding house in MFS.

Mr Sweetums

Reaction score
You're right lol I actually feel embarrassed that i didn't remember that, now I remember him wearing his dressing gown during Brick House.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Did you catch a glimpse of Link on the intro to America's Got Talent last night?
He was only on a few seconds but it was totally worth it!! :flirt:
Yes, I did, it was cool, but you could barely see him, and the muppet appearance was rather dull in my opinion.