Sewing Kermits Mouth Help

Rymoore21

Reaction score
I have made a few Kermits trying all of these techniques and found that the most accurate way to do it is by pinning the mouth plate on then turning it inside out and sewing a very tight ladder stitch.

Liza

Reaction score
Slackbot, do you find the stitches are still invisible when sewing the skin to the mouth plate, even though the thread is matched to the skin? Also, do you turn the edge of the skin under with your needle? Or just sew the raw edge? Many thanks.

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
I hot glue the mouth on. Simply place the mouth were you want it to go- Pin it, trace the line in chalk onto the mouth plate, just in case a pin gives way and to see if the mouth is even before gluing. Then start gluing. Start with the top, bottom and the corners of the mouth. Glue back from the line so when the fabric lays flat gle won't spill out onto the mouth plate. Once the mouth is glued at the corners simply glue the rest. I've never had a mouth plate separate or come undone and it saves time from sewing them.Just a thought. I know others prefer other options but that is one I use.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I know hot glue is very popular, and I use it when I glue feather hair to the head, but I'd never use it this way because I'd be afraid that the glue would be visible. I've seen "professional" puppets that have obvious hot glue residue around the eyes, mouths, et cetera, and it makes me cringe.

I'm not trying to dis your technique. If you can make it work, then you're doing it right--and you have lot more skill with a hot glue gun than I do!

Liza

Reaction score
I've learnt from the foam stage that I'm not very good at glueing yet…I have the burns to prove it! But it does really hold though, so I imagine it's a robust method to use. Thank you.

Slackbot

Reaction score
One good thing about sewing is that if you goof, it's simple to correct it. Just pull the seam and re-sew. With hot glue, if you goof, well, you're stuck with it. I'm too much of a wimp to take the risk. :wink:

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
I'm a risk taker LOL The key is to take your time and not rush. I also use a top notch glue gun with different fitting tips- I actually (for some unknown reason) feel I have more control with the glue than the sewing method. LOL

Liza

Reaction score
Thanks both for your valuable comments. I am sewing at the moment, and reasonably happy with the results but am definitely going to work on improving my glueing technique too.

I wish there was a class in this type of puppet-making in the UK!

Slackbot

Reaction score
Heh, my glue gun is a little bitty cheapie model I bought about 24 years ago, so that can't help the quality much. Anyway, whatever works!

Animal31

Reaction score
I feel the same way as TheCreatureWork, my glue gun has a Hi and Low setting, wouldn't do the mouth any other way. With the one exception maybe being something like a Cookie Monster type puppet...