Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm trying (very hard) not to get excited about this film, but I actually can't help it. I'm actually impressed with the choice of Transformers in this one. They're really going for interesting choices rather than fan favorites and tried and true iconic characters.
You know what, I don't even find Bayformers that offensive anymore. At least Bay never had any pretensions that he was doing deep work, unlike a lot of comic book movies I can mention, hehe.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
The sad part is that movie (Alexander & The Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day) is by the Henson company themselfs, despite their names not being on there, their names are gonna be on the film, man, that's sad.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know what, I don't even find Bayformers that offensive anymore. At least Bay never had any pretensions that he was doing deep work, unlike a lot of comic book movies I can mention, hehe.

I really think the pubic didn't turn on these movies until the second one. The first one actually got good reviews. Ebert gave the first one a thumbs up, but pretty much thought that the second was the worst thing he's ever seen. And it really seems that even the filmmakers feel the second one was terrible. But what it all boils down to is Bayformers holds up the principle of the Transformers brand, To Sell Toys. Plus, there's always another Transformers show inbetween the films. My only complaint about the movies is that the retailers push the movie merchandise over the other TF brands. That's what caused TFA to get cancelled quickly.

The sad part is that movie (Alexander & The Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day) is by the Henson company themselfs, despite their names not being on there, their names are gonna be on the film, man, that's sad.

Is this the movie they were releasing? Seems like it isn't the case. Unless they're just barely producing it. I have to apologize to the Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs films. At least there was food falling from the sky. Someone made an even less faithful to the source material movie based on a kid's book. Not saying I actually liked that book. Even if it wasn't named that, it just looks like a generic film they'd toss off in August. What really depresses me is that Steve Carrel is in it. Now, I love Steve. He can be in mainstream films and indies at the same time. The Way Way Back and Despicable Me 2 the same day. This film looks like something he'd have to do at the start of his movie career to gain film cred. Like Kicking and Screaming was for Will Ferrel where he basically was just there.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So long, giant fart.
smacks head... okay, NOW I know of what you're referring.

Anyway, I did see Spidey 2 and, well...

I don't get the hype of this being such a terrible film. Certainly those who hated it, really hated it. And I'll admit, the first one of this series was better done. I think the problem is that they're trying to set too much up and this Spider-Man series wants to get too ambitious. I actually really liked the direction they went with the Green Goblin, and hopefully that sets up something good for the third film. It just seems that there was too much in the film. But darned if Electro wasn't the best thing in there. Jamie Foxx hammed it the heck up. Kinda reminded me of Baxter Stockman in the current TMNT cartoon.

My 2 biggest complaints are this.... (I'd put a spoiler for the first one, but... you'll see). Gwen Stacy's death would have been a lot more powerful... if they didn't basically ruin it the second they announced the second film. I mean, really?!?! That's the first thing they confirmed the second they announced the second filmed a couple weeks after the first one hit theaters. I'm surprised they didn't call the film "Gwen Stacy's gonna Die: Amazing Spider-Man 2." When they announce something like that, you expect it, and that hurts the story. How would it have looked if they marketed the Lego Movie's big reveal? Loose lips sink drama.

Secondly, the film should have ended just as they were building up the Sinister 6. The thing with the Rhino at the end felt tacked on, and with stickynote glue. It felt like the beginning of the third movie was edited onto the end of this one. Somehow, I almost expected the Rhino to say "Fear me! For I am the UNDERMINER!!" And it felt almost goofy and out of place, but intentionally goofy. This film did go from dramatic to purposely campy a couple times. The Herr Doctor that examined Electro for example. It's an odd jump in film tone.

But over all, didn't hate it as much as everyone else seemed to. It was more entertaining than man of Steel (which I liked and can defend) and much much better than Green Lantern. Just not as good as the Disney produced Marvel Phase films, and I'll admit it seems weak after that strong Captain America sequel. But that one was a tough act to follow, anyway.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So much for the excuse of film goers rather seeing CGI films. Seems now's the opposite, no thanks to DTV quality, tenth party stuff like that. Sure, it does fall into that whole Wizard of Oz ghetto where nothing but the original movie and Wicked shine through. But it wholly looked unremarkable, and like something that should be at a Redbox, not a theatrically released film. And one that was delayed for 2 years, at that.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Saw Godzilla today, and I have mixed feelings. The effects were nice, the story didn't have any of the logic holes that action movies often have (see Promethius) and the acting was actually decent. But the destruction was just overkill, it seemed like every single building in California was taken down by the end of the movie. After awhile it sort of lost its impact.