MUPPETS Screenwriter Nicholas Stoller Says THE MUPPETS Might Be Coming Back to TV

cahuenga

Reaction score
I think one thing can bring old muppet fans to the franchise its the return of Frank Oz, If he directs the next muppet movie it would bring the attention from the purist fans...and he would be executive producer or consultant in a new tv series, if not ocassional performer...I think it would be one of the best things the muppet studio cand do now to maintain the muppets ....

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I think one thing can bring old muppet fans to the franchise its the return of Frank Oz, If he directs the next muppet movie it would bring the attention from the purist fans...and he would be executive producer or consultant in a new tv series, if not ocassional performer...I think it would be one of the best things the muppet studio cand do now to maintain the muppets ....

I don't think Frank Oz should be involved with the Muppets unless he wants to fully commit himself to them. He phoned it in on Muppets From Space and then decided to leave, but still felt the need to comment on the 2011 movie. It would be great if he wanted to work on the Muppets, but he can't have it both ways. He can't not bother to show up to the set on a movie when he's still involved, and then drop in his two cents when he's not a part of things.

cjd874

Reaction score
My question is: do the Muppets really appeal to both adults and children those days? This isn't 1980. Kid's TV programming and adult shows are polar opposites now. I'm honestly not sure if this show would get that far off the ground. But if it does, I will be pleasantly surprised…and eat a hat :attitude:...and give a big introduction for Elton John. :smile:

In all likelihood, he won't. That's a thing of the past. He's put it behind him, and is focusing on different projects. For now, let's be happy with what we've got, which are his return performances on Sesame Street as Bert, Grover, or a one-shot character.

cjd874

Reaction score
To add on to my previous post, if the show DOES end up airing, I don't think the original TMS vaudeville-style format would work well. The guests could still do their numbers, and the Muppets could have their own spotlights (maybe remakes of Pigs in Space or some new Swedish Chef skits), but I'm not sure how Stoller and the Muppet writers could feasibly fit all of that into a cohesive half-hour slot (or perhaps one hour if they're allowed to do that).

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I don't think Stoller is going to be involved in any TV show that the Muppets do, and I also don't think that if for some strange reason the Muppets did make another movie that he would not be involved at that ether.

Now on to the Frank Oz chatter....He is one of the last remaining founding fathers of the Muppets, and even though he went on to pursue a directing gig, he still deeply cares about the Muppets. Even though he is not working with them on a daily bases he still can have an opinion about what they are doing, just as much as anyone else has.

When I was still talking with Jim Lewis on a regular bases he told me that him and Frank where working on a script for a movie. Then Disney announced they where going with Stroller and friends script. So Frank still cares.....

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think Frank Oz should be involved with the Muppets unless he wants to fully commit himself to them. He phoned it in on Muppets From Space and then decided to leave, but still felt the need to comment on the 2011 movie. It would be great if he wanted to work on the Muppets, but he can't have it both ways. He can't not bother to show up to the set on a movie when he's still involved, and then drop in his two cents when he's not a part of things.
I'd say more than just Frank phoned it in in MFS. But he had his foot out the door since the late 80's. Look at how few of his characters appeared on JHH, not to mention how many solo Ernie skits came out near the end of that decade. But MFS must've been the last straw. Considering the problems behind that production, I could see why.

As for his commenting on the 2011 movie, well he was kinda pestered by the reporter. I don't think he wanted to say anything and wanted to focus on his project, and was a little annoyed by it. Plus he seems to at least have been apologetic about his opinion. And I'd admit, I like TM, but he had a point about the movie being a little too cautious and safe. MMW at least took risks and became a more Muppety film as a result. Even though TM was written for a fan audience in mind, it was the film that they needed to re-establish the brand. That actually had to be safe/cautious.

I don't think Stoller is going to be involved in any TV show that the Muppets do, and I also don't think that if for some strange reason the Muppets did make another movie that he would not be involved at that ether.
I don't think Stoller would bother with a TV show. I'd see him as a producer, if anything. Maybe come up with a core concept or two. I don't really see the film crew getting involved with the series unless they're that dedicated to it. Seems they'd just make other films over a TV series no matter what.