Puppet-in-Progress: From the foam up

TheWeirdoGirl

Reaction score
Wow, great job on that jacket! And the puppet too, for that matter.

Rugratskid

Reaction score
A little late, but... Scooter!!! :wink: He's in my top 10 favorite Muppets, and he looks great!

Slackbot

Reaction score
Thanks! I resized his pupils, tongue, and throat, and it's done wonders for his expression. Hopefully I'll have the snaps on his jacket tonight. And I even found his shoes while shopping today!! I bought them...and when I got them home I found they were too big. So, goin' out tomorrow to try to exchange them. Sigh.

I hope that when he's finished he'll look great enough to merit an arm-swing. :wink:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Thanks! He's neeearly there...

Got the snaps on his jacket, and they snap and everything. Decorative and functional! I went into the cloth shop, looking for something I could fake up to look like the snaps, and then I discovered that snaps come in a package and are easy to attach. The worst part was painting them yellow, as I couldn't do that until they were attached to the jacket.

I redid his pupils and tongue & throat, and I think it really improves his expression. Not that you can see the inside of his mouth; for once I put a clip on the inside so he won't be gaping stupidly.

The shoes are not quite as oversized as they appear here; I was posing him on a dowel, and he slid down a little, compressing his legs. (That's also why he appears to have no neck.) Still, I'll be looking out for a smaller pair. He now has a belt; I searched in vain for a toddler-sized belt before realizing I could shorten a narrow adult belt. Derp!

Still to do:
  • Pad the inside of his head so the puppeteer's hand will not slide back
  • Permanently attach glasses
  • Attach head to body via sleeve

Slackbot

Reaction score
Thank you! I've posted the finished puppet in his own thread.

Slackbot

Reaction score
For every puppet I make, I build three to ten foam skulls before I get the shape just right. I don't give out my patterns, but since these are from my big bag o' reject skulls I don't feel the need to be so protective.

Hopefully these will help others develop their own patterns.