My Audrey II Adventure

PennyDreadful

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I just started building a set of Audrey II puppets for my college's production of Little Shop which will be going up next year. I have done some smaller scale puppet projects and even built a set of Avenue Q puppets for a local theater last summer, but this is the first time I've taken on a project of this scale. Anyways, I thought it would be fun to post my process on here and maybe get some advice from people who have more experience with this sort of thing than I do.

I started building the first 2 pods by patterning them out of 1/2 inch L200. I then covered the front half in spray foam and carved the lips out of that. After that, I covered them in 1/4 inch upholstery foam to smooth them out and then some white stretchy fabric.
The 3rd puppet followed basically the same process except it has a PVC frame.
It would probably be ideal to make the 4th puppet out of fiberglass, but I think I'll stick with a PVC frame because I have more experience with that.

I continued working on the 2nd pod. I hinged the 2 halves with hot glue and elastic. I then cut out 2 pieces of fabric to fit each half of the mouth plate and sewed strapping to that for the puppeteer's hand. These 2 pieces were then attached to the mouth plate with foam/ fabric adhesive. I'm a little concerned that this won't last since the glue may give out eventually, but I don't see any other way of attaching the fabric.

Finally I covered it in spandex. On the right is my current design for the finished puppet. I'm debating whether I should go more green, though, since the red veins might look a bit monotone with the red mouth.

Sam Bald Eagle

Reaction score
they look great :smile:!! I'm about to start a set of Audrey II's aswell. had not though of expander foam to sculpt the lips!!! the shape of your pods has a nice curve on them. GREAT job!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

PennyDreadful

Reaction score
Thanks Sam! I'd love to see your set when you start working on them.

I'm back at school now so I won't be able to continue work on my puppets until mid May. But I did have a chance to put the faux fur mouth on Pod 2 and buy her a pot.

And here are some more design sketches for Pod 2 (and the branches for Pod 4).

I'm going for kind of arthropod style legs on the puppet. These will be worn by the puppeteer for Pod 3 (just like the root pants that Pod 3 usually has). For Pod 4 the legs will be controlled by additional puppeteers so that when the main puppeteer stands up the puppet can actually walk around the stage.

ashkent

Reaction score
Loving him so far. I think the best thing about Audrey II is that everyone has their own take on it. There's not hard and fast rules about what it has to look like. It is one of the many things on my list to do when i have time.

PennyDreadful

Reaction score
Hey, everyone, sorry for the lack of updates. I've been away at college so I haven't been able to work on Audrey II at all. I just got home, though, and here's what I've done so far!

PennyDreadful

Reaction score
More updates! Here are some pics of pod 1 and 2, which are pretty close to completion.

And here's a clip of me operating the unfinished 4th puppet. I'm very short and not all that strong, so I'm not the ideal person to be operating it, but you can still get the idea. The puppeteer can also stand up when operating the puppet, adding a few extra feet to it.

Last edited: