Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge Episode 5: Life in Motion

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Watch the fifth episode of Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge "Life in Motion" on SyFy Tuesday night at 10 pm eastern, 9 pm central and let us know your thoughts.

In this episode, the creature designers create a larger than life creation with realistic movement, performed on a black light soundstage.

If you saw this episode, please "like" this post and share your thoughts below.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding Episode 5... The finalists got put into teams again, Robert and Rus, Ben and Melissa, and Jake and Lex.
The first two teams built birdlike creatures, an ostrich and long-necked loon respectively. The third went for a komodo saurus creature.

The fun thing about this episode were the anecdotes from the judges during the in-person critiques.
Yes, I knew about Big Bird having all his feathers hand-glued onto the body and how they're classified into individual groups from A to D-class, with the C and D-class feathers being the ones that have to be replaced for his next appearance. But I didn't know he has to be shipped in the overhead compartment of a first-class flight so the feathers don't get crushed.

Neat to know the sunblock trick to get rid of the glow effect on reflective surfaces used during MCC.

And Kirk was the full-bodied puppeteer of the Ranken pit creature in Return of the Jedi? :cool:

Ultimately, Lex got eliminated for the wonky unrestricted leg joints that made her saurian reptile unrealistic-looking.

Looking forward to next week's episode. And remember it'll be on one hour earlier, at 9 PM EST next week.

sofiasaldanha

Reaction score
I just start watching the show now and my brother who have 8 years clung to the TV, he was so enchanted by the show and told me that when he grow up he wanna do that things like that, when the show was over he start doing creatures with plasticine and he made me so proud.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
This episode was very good. I love the info Brian gave on Big Bird and Muppet Christmas Carol.