Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

Muppet Master

Reaction score
MMW plummeted 53.1% in its 5th weekend to an estimated $48,318,000. While it didn't exactly hold well on Easter weekend, that can be attributed to it losing 1,332 theaters. It should at least get $50 million by the end of next weekend.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Whoa. Over 1,000 theaters dropped the movie? That's bad. It's only playing in two places in my entire city. Now it's only playing in 929 theaters in North America. It opened with 3,194.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I went to see it today at the AMC Phipps Plaza. I was expecting an empty house, but surprise surprise, the theater house was about 80% full. People chuckled rather than laughed at most of the jokes.

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
The weird thing about the lower number of theatres is that is seems like there's a higher number of tickets being sold per theatre than there were earlier in the month - so people are actually still going to see MMW in places where it's still playing. So maybe Slackbot's experience is a common one in the admittedly-reduced number of theatres across North America that are still running it.

I hope Disney will pick up on that and run it as long as they can. Frozen, The Lego Movie and The Nut Job (THE FREAKIN' NUT JOB!!!) are still running in a handful of theatres even though all but Lego are on DVD/Blu-Ray - I see no reason MMW couldn't do that as well.

At this stage, every weekend it's still in theatres is a victory for me. (I'm recalling that TMTM was in and out of theatres in my part of Canada after four weeks in 1984. By contrast, Ghostbusters ran for five months.)

Side note: The competition took an interesting shift this week with Heaven Is For Real coming out - combined with God's Not Dead and Noah (admittedly a secular retelling of the story), that's a whole lot of Christian content in theatres right before - and after - Easter. With all due respect to the Muppets, I have to admit that kind of trend makes me happy.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Sadly on my end MMW has also left most of the theaters in my area. There's one left still showing it but very few time slots left so I'm assuming it's also gonna make an exit by the end of this week. So sad. :frown:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
The smaller theaters here in OKC have stopped playing it. Lots of movies dropping in the next couple weeks.

MuppetGuy75

Reaction score
I was so bummed when I was going to try to see the movie again this past weekend but surprise, surprise.... it was pulled from majority of theaters around my area. The only time I could see it was 10:20AM at a theater 40 mins away. :sympathy: Why in the world would Disney pull back on Easter weekend? I don't know what there stratigic planning is by doing that but someone needs to be fired. LOL

Reevz1977

Reaction score
I was so bummed when I was going to try to see the movie again this past weekend but surprise, surprise.... it was pulled from majority of theaters around my area. The only time I could see it was 10:20AM at a theater 40 mins away. :sympathy: Why in the world would Disney pull back on Easter weekend? I don't know what there stratigic planning is by doing that but someone needs to be fired. LOL
We would kids want to see a family movie at Easter :stick_out_tongue: