Anyone Find The Muppets More Funny Now?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wasn't aware they needed to evolve after The Muppet Movie. No need to evolve after hitting perfection. :smile:
Evolution is something that cannot be helped. Let's forget the post-Jim products and look at the massive evolutionary changes since the Muppets were created. We wouldn't have a TV show. We'd just have little novelties where they mimed to current songs, versus the huge thing thing the Muppets became. No Sesame Street, No Muppet Show, and definitely no Fraggle Rock (and as much as I love the Muppet Show characters, Fraggle Rock was a very special thing that owes itself to 80's Jim).

TMM was a completely different movie from the later MTM. And both films are great because they're both different. TMM has a lot of wacky "no fourth wall" humor and some very Jay Ward inspired puns and running gags. MTM was more of a special, indie film feel that didn't need to make constant visual puns. That's evolution.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The examples you gave I agree are evolution. I just feel there was a point where it became change, but not evolution.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
There was a lot I didn't "get" from the Muppet films as a kid. Luckily it's a lot easier nowadays to look things up. Being not of the time is no longer an excuse, hehe.
Still, it's not the same watching the film and getting the reference the first time, then looking it up, and forcing a laugh the next time you watch it. Though references don't make a movie and TMM is still better than MMW.

WalterFan1234

Reaction score
I think that' they've had some great great humor now. Although movies like TMM and MTM are funnier for me