Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge Episode 2: Return of the Skeksis

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Watch the second episode of Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge "Return of the Skeksis" on SyFy Tuesday night at 10 pm eastern, 9 pm central and let us know your thoughts.

In this episode, the creature designers must re-imagine a Skeksis, the main villains of the Henson classic "The Dark Crystal" from 1982.

If you saw this episode, please "like" this post and share your thoughts below.

SpookyMania

Reaction score
I thought it was a great episode! All the designers really had some great ideas, and they all really looked like Skeksis. Even though it's only been two episodes so far, I'm very much enjoying this show. It's fantastic to see all the different creative processes joining together.

--SPOILERS!--
And I had an inkling from the beginning of the episode that Tina was going to get voted off. But I did love everyone's collective gasp at pairing her up with Russ again.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
It's great watching the Creature Shop Challenge episodes after Faceoff. There's lot of fodder between the two of them for a creature/character lover like myself.

SkekTarro, conceptually, as a vulture, was the one that reminded me of what Skekses were originally intended to be designwise from what I've read about The Dark Crystal from trusted sources like the Muppet Wiki. It's a shame they didn't make him more of a desert-dweller or a menacing buzzard/vulture hybrid.

SkekGeth was the one I didn't fully understand conceptually, but that's mostly because of me trying to interpret the verbal descript in my mind's eye given my blind batty eyes. But I like the fact they gave him a backstory as the Skeksis with a title: "Holder of the Orb", it enhances the idea of his connection to ice crystals and the Dark Crystal itself even more.

SkekSeth, as the decaying naturalist, a half mummified half-dryad skeletal figure was probably my fave out of the three. There was a connection there between the concept and the environment landscape that came together perfectly for me. I'm not as bothered by the neck ruffles he had as Brian was though, in my opinion it adds to his costume an air of mastership over what little power he has left.

Looking forward to next week's episode which makes me think they'll be scavenging around in the Junk Lady's pocket dominion of the Labyrinth.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I know next to nothing about the Dark Crystal. I keep trying to watch it, but I can't bring myself around to it. I gotta see it now, because of this. Anyway, this episode was pretty good. Great to see Victor this time.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I have to say I'm really enjoying this show so far. So impressive to see all these talented people turnout these creatures within such a short time span! I was never a big fan of Dark Crystal, but I do think the characters and technology is amazing and it was really cool to see them recreate the Skeksis.

SkeetScootSquat

Reaction score
I know next to nothing about the Dark Crystal. I keep trying to watch it, but I can't bring myself around to it. I gotta see it now, because of this. Anyway, this episode was pretty good. Great to see Victor this time.
me too.I'm not too crazy about Henson Worlds in particular lately. Probably cause of the MWM buzz.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Did you say Skeksis? :wink:
Unfortunately I cant watch the show where I live :-(
Can I see it online somewhere?

Laszlo

Reaction score
They should make a Chamberlain collectible prop head. He is still amazing:

Laszlo

Reaction score
Ok, finally saw it! Loved it! It was fantastic to see some of the real props!
Wish they would do some prop collectibles ... such fantastic stuff!