Is Gonzo Being phased out?

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Carol's passing 80 yrs. and he's still performing both Oscar and Big Bird. We know that the muppet performers aren't exactly spry chickens anymore, but that doesn't mean their characters are phasing out, sure MMW might be the last muppet film Dave'll work on sadly :frown: :sympathy:, but it's not like he's sick like Jerry was. Age doesn't matter if you're healthy.
Yes but their not moving like spring chickens anymore either now are they? And last I checked he was having a few health issues maybe not as SERIOUS but nevertheless could explain why Gonzo has sort of taken a seat back. And Carol is a great example he's passing 80 but again not as agile. Last I checked doesn't puppetry take a lot of your body to move around not even counting how much they have to hold their arms in the air. So age does play a factor to a certain extent. You can be in perfect health at age 80 but that doesn't mean your body isn't slowing up.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Can we please stop worrying and just live in the moment while Dave is still alive and fully-active? Let's just be happy and enjoy it while it lasts.

And again, just because a character is taking a bit of a backseat does not that character is phased out, so let's please knock off the conclusion-jumping as well.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
He's not being phased out. Infact, he has been on some talk shows as of lately and started NASCAR recently. He had a decent sized chunk in the new film, is with the gang in commercials and on special appearances, and was in all versions of the Toyota Highlander commercial. He's not being phased out.

WalterFan1234

Reaction score
I think he has been too. His character was not nearly as likable in The Muppets or Muppets Most Wanted. They used him more for quick jokes than anything. I miss the way it used to be, because he was so much cooler of a character. Now he's just kinda eh

WalterFan1234

Reaction score
I don't know I really enjoyed how he was in MMW, and I thought they brought back some of his TMS personality.
Interesting theory. I think he had some things that were like TMS, but he was also not the same.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I think he has been too. His character was not nearly as likable in The Muppets or Muppets Most Wanted. They used him more for quick jokes than anything. I miss the way it used to be, because he was so much cooler of a character. Now he's just kinda eh
I know he's being phased out, yet so many people on this thread refuse to admit it. Since Bunsen had a pretty beefy-ish role in the film, I don't think Dave's having too many problems, but it's not that Gonzo isn't likable nowadays, it's that he's not a main character and the film could work even without GONZO!! Think about it, he had some crucial roles in TMM, without him there would be no "I'm Going To Go Back There Someday", no chasing Gonzo in the car, and no interaction in the car with him. In GMC he was responsible for finding out when and where Nicky Holiday was going to steal the baseball diamond, and he was the photographer. In MTM without him, Camilla wouldn't get CPR, and one whole "letter" scene, and the infamous Ed Koch scene would be cut! In MCC he was the narrator, in MTI, main character, and MFS (NEED I SAY MORE? UNLESS YOU WANT CLIFFORD TO HAVE AN ALIEN FAMILY), and he also had crucial roles in VMX, MWoO, and LTS. Then The Muppets (2011)? They could have easily just cut out the TWO ONLY Gonzo scenes, and nothing would happen! Sure he did save the muppet theater, but besides that he was just as a background character as Lew Zealand! MMW was MUCH WORSE! Gonzo was basically a background character, I think Bunsen had more lines and a bigger part! Again he had that one part where his nose hooked on Constantine's helicopter, but that was 2 seconds long! I was really hoping that Gonzo'd have a big role in MMW, but really, the running of the bulls was less than 1 minute long! Let's face it, Gonzo's just as phased out as Rizzo! Sure, he had roles, but they were minor and could easily have been replaced by another muppet! In TM, Crazy Harry could have taken out his plunger box and BAM, Tex is knocked out, and in MMW, Camilla could have jumped and held on to the helicopter with her mouth. Gonzo is being phased out, and until we have another muppet production to see how big his role will be, this is really sad. :sympathy:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well with MCC, MTI, and MFS the reason that Gonzo and Rizzo for that matter took such a huge role is performer wise. Steve was still getting use to doing Kermit, Frank was off directing, Richard, and Jim where gone and Jerry was just not well. Dave and Steve where a great team, and throughout the 90's really had a chance to shine. Now that Steve is focusing more on Kermit that should not have to change because Kermit and Gonzo have had a great relationship in the past, and could have some really great moments if allowed to.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Well with MCC, MTI, and MFS the reason that Gonzo and Rizzo for that matter took such a huge role is performer wise. Steve was still getting use to doing Kermit, Frank was off directing, Richard, and Jim where gone and Jerry was just not well.
Actually, Jerry was still in good health in the 90's, since he was still fully-active as a Muppeteer at that time, even though most of his main characters (Floyd, Robin, etc.) were greatly underutilized during that era.

Anywho, getting back on topic, I must reitterate that Gonzo (who, BTW, is still a cool and likable character, despite what some others on here like to think) is NOT being phased out. Just because he's getting smaller parts does not automatically mean that they're phasing him out! :grouchy: