The Great Muppet Caper VS. Muppets Most Wanted

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
I have a certain bias towards GMC because it was the first Muppet movie I ever saw, in a theatre or anywhere else, but even as an adult I still think it's an amazing movie and will likely feel that way for a long time. (I watched it last September, on my 41st birthday, as part of an all-day Muppet movie marathon and was surprised and delighted with how well it holds up.)

I personally rank GMC second overall (behind TMM), with TM2011 in third and MMW a close fourth. (At the risk of starting any controversy, I actually have MFS at fifth.) :wink:

I hesitate to use GMC as a device to critique MMW because I had a blast at MMW and, in some ways, I think the new movie improves on what GMC did. "We're Doing A Sequel" feels like version 2.0 of "Hey, A Movie," with that same self-awareness upgraded with a few sharp swipes at Disney and Hollywood in general. And I like the writing and pacing of MMW just a little better. (Sometimes the scene with Piggy attempting to impress Kermit at John Cleese's mansion just drags on a little too long for me to fully enjoy it.)

Somehow, MMW's music works a little better for me, too. I find it a bit catchier and a little more mature. "Hey, A Movie" and "Happiness Hotel" will always be favourites, but I prefer at least four MMW songs to the likes of "Piggy's Fantasy," "Stepping Out With A Star" or "The First Time It Happens." (Again, not running those songs down - I just like the MMW music better.)

All that being said...GMC has several elements that make me love it to pieces, including the Kermit-Fozzie-Gonzo chemistry, the routine fourth-wall breaking (especially Kermit taking Piggy aside in the park to criticize her over-acting), the running gag about Kermit and Fozzie's dad (absolutely nailed by Jerry and Christine Nelson in the "park cameo" that gets more bittersweet with each passing year), some astounding achievements in puppetry (the bicycles in "Couldn't We Ride," Kermit's dancing in "Stepping Out With A Star," Piggy crashing through the window of the Mallory Gallery on her motorcycle, and the eye-popping underwater photography in "Piggy's Fantasy"), the organic feel of the Muppets in both the indoor and outdoor scenes, and the gentle good humour that accompanies the whole film. The original Muppet performers were at their peak in this movie and Jim Henson brought the best out of all of them in the director's chair.

So I'll always rank GMC above MMW (and, likely, most other Muppet movies, past, present or future) but I'm delighted that both of them exist in the Muppet filmography.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
Actually the more I watch MMW (pirate version online. I am awful) the more I like it. Maybe even a little more than GMC. Maybe it's just seeing new details I never noticed before.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Watch this interview that Kermit did 3 years ago even he didn't like MFS in fact his exact quote "with all due respect to MFS you don't want that to be the last movie you ever do, you want to do a better one."
That's crazy that Henson/Disney would have Kermit badmouthing his own film (especially considering he's a puppet and they have direct control over what he says in a sense- but I guess they can't tell Steve Whitmire what he can and can't say.) That's just one of those rules for actors and actresses though. Yes, I think you should be honest, but generally you have to speak well of the movie to help promote and not give the public a negative image of the movie and/or filmmakers, etc.
In any case, I still don't really see the issues with Muppets From Space or how it's a disaster. I enjoyed seeing it in theaters and I like it just fine. It was nice to see a movie addressing Gonzo's origins- that was pretty cool. And it was another great Gonzo and Rizzo team-up, which I definitely enjoy. It's too bad "I'm Going To Go Back There Someday" wasn't included in the movie, but at least it got released on the soundtrack and it's a great, soulful rendition- though I still love Gonzo's original performance of it from "The Muppet Movie" as well.
And I love the songs that are included in the movie- like "Brickhouse" and "Celebrate"- two songs that I particularly love anyway- and the scene montage for those songs were perfect.
I also thought the Noah's Ark sequence was awesome and perfectly fitting for Gonzo's predicament. And the scenes where the Muppets try to rescue Gonzo are quite funny too. And Bobo is hilarious! (And he plays off well with Jeffrey Tambor's character.)
It would have been nice to see some original Muppet songs in the movie, but I can get over that. I thought the movie was great- I don't have any problems with it.:smile:

Bridget

Reaction score
The Great Muppet Caper is a classic beauty that landed a place in my heart. And Muppets Most Wanted is an enjoyable, hilarious modern caper that has officially (in my opinion) really brought the Muppets back for the first time in a theatrical film. I will say GMC.