Votes: 18 9.9%
  • 2 Stars - Fair

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • 1 Star - Poor

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

muppetlover123

Reaction score
Here's my fear and before anyone jumps down my throat for being negative let me just say I am entitled to my opinion. So if your gonna post something mean to me don't waste your typing fingers. Now being this film isn't doing as well as the last my biggest fear in all of this is I can see Disney now putting them literally on a shelf for another 12 years to collect dust. and why do I think that well let's go back shall we when Jason Segal had to pitch the idea to Disney several times before they finally green lit the dang thing. Had it been the other way around and either Disney came up with the idea on their own or were quick to jump at Jason's idea then I'd be more the optimistic about the future but the truth is I'm not and it quite frankly makes me wanna cry.

The Muppets have worked so hard to get back in the spot light it would be devastating to not hear from them for a long time again. Do I think they'll go away for good? No but I think it could be awhile before they do anything again. And it sucks. It's sad that promotions for the most part have slowed up because I check everyday for any new material. I just pray "that the studio still considers them a viable franchise". I do think they should lay off the movies for a while but I think they should at least take the risk and try tv again. Whether it's TV specials or even a new MS.

I hope I'm proved wrong in that Disney will still keep them out there.

I agree your not alone.... i love these two recent movies ALOT! But something scares me that if Disney doesnt see satisfying results.... that all the money wasted on remaking hundreds of obscure characters or all the money the spent to make and promote both TM11 and MMW..... will just go back in the box of the Disney Vault where franchises and characters are known to just die and be forgotten about... like they were about 12 years ago.... but i feel like even if the movie doesnt do as good Disney wont throw away what they built in the past like 5 years. If they do decide to "ditch" The Muppet franchise.... we may only see the Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Animal, Pepe, and Beaker puppets for a couple years... the rest will just be put to waste!

Too much negativity i just wrote but it might end up being the truth... i certainly hope not... but if Disney did forget them and they never do anything with them again, quoteing Drtooth, at least it ended with a good movie.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I talked with my father about the Muppets and I asked him why the movie is not getting the success that was supposed to and he told me that back in the old days what made people see the movies was The Muppet Show, they knew the characters and they want to see more of them, my father thinks that before they made another movie it was a better idea to do The Muppet Show to the new generation know better the muppets and they type of humor, this is just his opinion and I agree with him in a certain way, I would rather see a TV show than another movie!
I agree with your dad. I think maybe the new generation needs to know who the Muppets are. Cause let's face it when my daughter is old enough to understand who they are I want her to know where it all started. I don't want her thinking Muppets are just known for movies I want her to know who Jim Henson was and why they have lasted so long today. I don't think Disney will do away with them for good but I do think they'll limit their appearances. Like I said the whole thought of it makes me sick.

sofiasaldanha

Reaction score
I only know the Muppets for 3 years but they become a big part of my life, when I'm sad and nothing can cheer me up they can, they made me laugh and they taught me many value lessons. My father thinks that what television needs is a Muppet Show, and I told him that a lot of people think they would not get a lot of success in TV but he thinks they are wrong, The Muppets could be the future entertainment. I would hate that Disney stopped investing in them and shut them down

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
I'm disappointed with the box-office numbers (although I'll once again point out that a lot of other recent movie musicals absolutely crashed and burned compared to TM2011 and MMW) but I'm cautiously optimistic about the future of Disney's relationship with the Muppets, for a few reasons:

* The Muppet fan base may not deliver $200-million domestic box-office totals but it's loyal and hardcore, and it just got a movie that, with few exceptions, seems to have met with that fan base's demanding standards. Disney isn't going to open a Lone Ranger, John Carter or Ponyo store at its parks anytime soon. The Muppets still have legs (in every sense of the word) and this movie will only add to that.

* The Muppet cast and writers went all-out to make this movie a winner and delivered a knock-out promotional campaign to boot. The combined efforts of Whitmire, Baretta, Jacobson, Goelz, Vogel, Linz and Rudman - to say nothing of McKenzie, Bobin and Stoller - were just too good to pack away in a dustbin after the DVD/Blu-Ray comes out later this year. I don't know if it'll be on TV, Broadway, commercials or virals (I don't expect another movie for at least four years, especially with Disney concentrating on Star Wars and Marvel blockbusters), but SOMETHING has to happen with this marvelous Muppet cast.

* There will always be Muppet boosters across the media spectrum. Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel alone will ensure there's a place for them in pop culture and in our hearts. I expect Stephen Colbert (who's had Kermit, Big Bird, Oscar and Cookie Monster on The Colbert Report) to show some more Muppet love when he takes Letterman's job next year. Wendy Williams and Queen Latifah will likely always have a home for Kermit and Piggy after the interviews they did together in the run-up to MMW's release. These aren't past-their-prime characters with no traction in a modern world - they're live, they're colourful, they can talk back to you and they can crack you up. That alone should ensure they stick around.

* Apart from MMW itself, a lot of simply amazing things happened with the Muppets this year, particularly in advertising. The Toyota and Lipton Tea campaigns alone have, in my view, already entrenched themselves as wonderful new entries in Muppet history. If we'd shown these commercials to a 25-year-old Jim Henson doing those crude Wilkins Coffee ads on cheap B&W film in the late '50s, I think his eyes would have bugged out.

I know we all wish MMW could have done better but, even with these numbers, it's reaching its basic goal of keeping the characters alive in an increasingly crowded and fractured pop-culture landscape. And at the risk of sounding too optimistic, I don't see Disney or anyone else shoving them to the side anytime soon.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I'm glad someone is being optimistic I'm just trying to be realistic. Whether it's a Muppet hit or not if Disney doesn't see it as a hit you can kiss any Muppet projects goodbye. Sorry to sound blunt but that's how how I see it. I did state that I don't think the Muppets would go away for good but it could be awhile.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm not so much disappointed at the results so much as P.O'd. MMW may not have made much money, but exactly what movie has the last month domestically? Certainly not...uh... I can't even remember the names of them, actually... need for Speed. AH! Okay, that, something with AH-nold, a Tyler Perry chick flick, and 2 ...well... actually good looking comedies that were semi-independent, and therefore not meant for a mainstream audience. And the movies that did make money were so high budget, that most of their money came from overseas. At most Disney didn't lose too much on MMW, but it SHOULD have at least opened at 30 mil.

Just the whole month was a wash, and MMW did manage to stay in the top 5 for 3 weeks. Even 300 had a HUGE drop second week.

This may just hit on home video and we'll see more shorts and DTV things and appearances. But if Disney wants to release another movie, they had better just chuck it in January or something. I mean, Nut Job, a movie that by no means should've been theatrical became a hit for being the only thing out at the time.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I don't think either of the last two Muppet movies have anything to apologise to Disney for. They are classic movies in the truest sense of the word, and will be watched and re-watched many, many times.

But what I really wanted to say in this post was what an absolutely stellar job Eric has done with Piggy over the span of the last two movies. I have both albums on my phones (yes, muppet nerds of the world unite an embrace technology!) and our favourite diva is just spot-on amazing. Steve also deserves done serious kudos for Kermit's great singing. He smug folksy sound in "We're Doin' A Sequel" is as much fun to listen to as it is to watch.

Let's face it-our muppeteers ROCK!

Princeton

Reaction score
I absolutely loved MMW; this is the movie that TM11 wanted to be and was marketed to be but failed to be. Jim and Richard are smiling from heaven in approval for the first time because their best characters (Rowlf and Scooter) are back with lotsa lines and plenty o'screen time. Some random thoughts:
-Since this movie is a clear tribute to MTM and GMC, there were two huge missed opportunites: 1) The priest should have sang in the wedding scene 2) Half the movie takes place in museums and NO BASEBALL DIAMOND REFERENCE???
-Walter is now officially my fourth least favorite Muppet. The Muppets only have room for one complete innocent and that's Fozzie, so stop trying to give Walter Christ-like perfection.
-Again, there was a cringe-worthy line from Fozzie (but nowhere near 'fart shoes' level): When Jesus... I mean Walter tells Fozzie about Dominic paying for good reviews, Fozzie says "How come we never thought of that?" Really Fozzie, you would have been dishonest just to get to get good reviews? I thought stuff like that didn't matter to him and I'm sure Kermit would agree.
-I hate Sam, but he was used well in this film because it was the first time that he was not directly involved with the Muppets and that's as it should be.
-I loved the Figs. This is what the Cratchit kids in MCC SHOULD HAVE looked like, but no, Brian Henson had to be lazy.