Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

Drtooth

Reaction score
MMW actually got $2.275 mil. this weekend. It needs less than $10 million to reach its budget, but it'll still be a stretch for the film to get $54 million. Meanwhile Peabody is yet another domestic bomb for Dreamworks with its budget of $145 million and a current total north of a $110 million final total.

Well, that's great. We're not going to see those characters any time soon either. :grouchy:

March sucked for movies completely. Just...really... sucked all over.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
If I could see it a fourth time I would but sadly I am a poor peasant. :stick_out_tongue:

MWoO

Reaction score
According to a Forbes article I read Disney was looking to make around $150 million world wide. As of right now it's near $60 million. Hopefully, with the world wide release starting later and the film being aimed more towards a world wide audience money will still be coming in for the next few weeks. Maybe it will eek out $80 mil?

It's rather sad that the movie did not even break it's budget domestically yet. I hope that since the movie is still somewhat profitable and I am sure Disney got some decent money out of all the commercials we will still see more muppet material in the coming years. Perhaps not a movie, which would be fine as we really don't need a movie too quickly, but maybe a web show. It seems to me that if Jim Henson was still alive we would see a muppet web show. This is based on what we saw with the Jim Henson Hour, specifically the Muppet TV portion of it. That was basically a youtube like TV stations with a channel for everything, much like youtube.

At least the movie is doing far better than MFS which didn't even make back its budget in world wide tickets. Sadly, at least when adjusted for inflation, MMW is currently only beating out MFS in domestic tickets. It's still 10 mil away from beating MCC and $20 mil from beating MTM and MTI. Too bad as I really did like this movie a lot.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's rather sad that the movie did not even break it's budget domestically yet. I hope that since the movie is still somewhat profitable and I am sure Disney got some decent money out of all the commercials we will still see more muppet material in the coming years. Perhaps not a movie, which would be fine as we really don't need a movie too quickly, but maybe a web show. It seems to me that if Jim Henson was still alive we would see a muppet web show. This is based on what we saw with the Jim Henson Hour, specifically the Muppet TV portion of it. That was basically a youtube like TV stations with a channel for everything, much like youtube.
March was an awful month for movies. Too many of them opening at once, not enough interest... I really hope both Disney and Dreamworks both realize that and don't throw both the Muppets and Classic Media/Bullwinkle characters out completely based on the fact that nothing really made back it's money that month, even the successful ones. And anything that did, made it overseas.

Disney will make some money on this film. Probably more than their usual crappy March tween flick. Hopefully they'll still keep the franchise based on home video performance and merchandising sales. If not, forget it. At least we've had 8 movies, and we've closed with a good one.

Meanwhile, I'm sure Nut Job and Rio get like 3 or 4 sequels. So yeah.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I wonder why the results for the areas where MMW came out April 11 aren't on Box Office Mojo yet? They'll give it a massive boost.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I've decided that for MMW to be a true success it needs to make either 67 million domestically or 137 million worldwide....if it does it will in fact have done better than the Godfather III.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's getting harder and harder to stay optimistic at this point...

Even at 8 million more domestic to make back its production budget, it is. Seriously... they release too many movies at once and nothing makes back its budget as a result. Hollywood Book Keeping at its finest.

Peabody took potential box office take from the Muppets and vice versa. By all means, they were put too close together in a crowded month. Too many big kids movies at once. At least Lego was successful. That was a good one.

I just hope that they both hit it big on home video (and they better not be released at the same time either). Really sucks to have to see 2 of my favorite character franchises/properties have to be dueling projects, and neither coming out on top.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
And everybody knows that the sequels never quite as good. Yeah that's what most people thought.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Hooray, MMW reached $46 million domestically. The sad part is that even with that quite weak total it still ranks (unadjusted) 3rd out of all the puppet movies released in America! Seriously, no puppet movie unadjusted has evne passed $90 million domestically. Even when you adjust it TMM posts a hefty first with $216 million and TDC has $104 million and still everything else is below $100 million. I mean there are only 3 non-Henson puppet movies ever released in America that have made more than $1 millon domestically! Without Henson, puppets would be in a worst state that they'd be irrelevent.