The Great Muppet Caper VS. Muppets Most Wanted

Muppet Master

Reaction score
With MMW in theaters, we all on this forum know that GMC while not similar in plot is also a caper-oriented film. So I'm asking, which one do you think is better? I personally think GMC is better, but just by a bit, but I'm still all over MMW! So the question is, what do you think.

THE EPIC FACEOFF

VS.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
I personally love MMW better!

I kind of find GMC (here comes the hate) a little on the boring side at some points cause there are some moments where there are no muppets and only humans!

In MMW that wasnt an issue because no matter what human was on screen (Ricky, Tina, Ty) there was a muppet to accompany them! (Constantine, Kermit, Sam)

Just my thoughts but I love GMC too!

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Hmmmm...tough call. I do like Great Muppet Caper a lot...I really do. The thing is for me I feel the Muppets are at their strongest when they bring a lot of heart and its not just about comedy. It really was what the filmmakers were going for while making the Muppets (a little heavy handed maybe but still...). Great Muppet Caper on the other hand is mostly a comedy/caper film. Even the Piggy/Kermit relationship in there seems forced and acted out. In Muppet's most wanted you get the comedy but you also get the heart, something I feel that Steve delivers very well these days as Kermit. The scene where they sing something so right is so well done. So after a little rambling I guess my point is that its hard to really compare them. But if I had to I would say MMW becuase it has more heart. As was stated above though only by a little bit. Really of the Muppet movie made it is hard to rate them except in most are good and a few are so-so.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Heh...you sure you want to ask me this? :wink:

Out of the original three, I tend to place GMC at #3.

But comparing it to MMW? There is no contest. I'm happy to crown GMC #1. :smile:

First of all the concept of being bored by Jim Henson's work is just foreign to me. You might as well be speaking a different language to me. Preferably Swedish :smile:.

If you were to tune into GMC at a random moment, you'd think it was a grown up film. It's a clever parody of old movie musicals and caper plots and also highlights British humor (or at least how Americans view the British). The human guest stars know how to deliver nuanced performances where it appears they're taking it all seriously but in reality they're camping up a storm.

The humans in MMW? I liked them fine, but it's all comedy with none of that nuance. And the caper plot reminded me of Scooby Doo more than Muppets.

As far as the Muppets themselves, GMC is a traditional buddy film and the camaraderie between Kermit, Fozzie and Gonzo is so endearing and real. In MMW Fozzie is just there to be ridiculed and I honestly just felt like leaving the theater.

I get that GMC can come off a bit coarse. But I personally didn't find too much heart in MMW. More like heart breaking. Very shallow character writing.

Piggy's interactions with Nicky Holiday are still so striking to me the way it's played so straight. I mean there's even a moment where you're kind of afraid Holiday is being too physically intimidating and you hope Piggy will get away! Nowadays that would be considered too dark for a film aimed partly at children. But I'm glad GMC had enough faith in its audience to challenge them a bit.

Tina Fey's affection for Kermit is cute and funny but again, that's all it is. It's love as portrayed by an over the top SNL cast member. There are a couple moments where it feels like more than that but it's not fleshed out enough.

I'll think about this some more, these are just my initial impressions. But yea again, no contest. I will never watch MMW again. You have me on record, folks. I'd watch MFS first.

GMC is a triumph and we are fortunate to have it. :smile:

RealWonderman

Reaction score
GMC will always be #1 of all the movies for me, because it is centered around Miss Piggy. From the first time I saw it, I fell in love with first the dinner theater scene, then the whole fantasy sequence, and last motorcycle scene, and I STILL love it as much! BUT, I also LOVE MMW. It's in 3rd after GMC and TMM.

Hayley B

Reaction score
I think I like MMW more. What muppetlove123 said, is the first thing that comes to my mind with GMC. I tend to get bored with that one too and tend to lose interest in that one. It feels random at times. MMW atleast kept me atleast interested and couple of laughs out of it. Also I enjoy rooting for Animal. I loved how he quickly knew that wasn't Kermit.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
GMC is my favourite Muppet movie and it still is. It has the better comedy, timing and had a fantastic ending. Also, it was quite nice to have scenes with no background music in it, just to let the Muppet performances shine though all the more. I really liked MMW, though, but GMC just felt right.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I don't generally like to do the comparison thing because I don't generally do well with it. I will say this though- I tend to think that for me at least- no modern Muppet production will ever be quite the same as the quality of the first three Muppet movies. I suspect it has something to do with nostalgia and youth being tied up with it too, but those are in many ways the gold standard for me. Now don't get me wrong- I have seen and loved ALL the Muppet movies. I enjoy "The Great Muppet Caper" immensely- one of my favorites really. But I also enjoy "Muppets Most Wanted" immensely- perhaps for some different reasons though. The overall underlying reason though is that both are Muppets productions and are funny and endearing and I love them.
(I have had a bunch of the "Muppets Most Wanted" songs stuck in my head for the last few days now...I want to go see that movie again if I have the time and money to do so....) Of course, I'd be ecstatic to see the first three Muppet movies in theaters. They're all good in their own ways.:smile::big_grin::fanatic:

SpookyMania

Reaction score
Hm, this is a tough call. I'd have to go with GMC because it's filled with that classic Hollywood schmaltz that I just love.