Cartoon all stars to the rescue.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I personally refer to Captain Planet as singlehandedly launching millions of young Republicans.

Give people a little more credit. They're not going to sway a certain way politically because of a stinking cartoon. People are (disgustingly) easily swayed, but not that much.

And just FYI, population control is a serious environmental concern (just look at the latest climate report from NASA).

Drtooth

Reaction score
And just FYI, population control is a serious environmental concern (just look at the latest climate report from NASA).
I can agree to that. But it was handled in such a way that it was a bizarre rant, rather than a serious discussion of the issue. And for kids!

And for the record, there are people who can take the message without becoming cynical and snarky about it. But keep the message direct, friendly, and devoid of drama. Preachy can turn into ranty quickly if the writers aren't careful.

Yorick

Reaction score
That said, you know when Dinosaurs did the drugs episode, they did it sarcastically, right? :hungry:
That statement isn't entirely accurate, since there are points made in the episode that are not sarcasm. Believe me, I understand that gem of a show, Dinosaurs :halo: and when I mentioned Dinosaurs and their messages, I wasn't singling out "A New Leaf"; I was referring to the messages the show made in general, almost all the time, and how deep the writing is on the show. Like nothing today. Sure, I know the Dinosaur characters let the writers tackle more topics, but still, you'd think someone could try to approach something of that caliber today. But for the most part, nonsense rules now. That's not to say there was much (if anything) like Dinosaurs at the time, either. But you get the idea...

The worst thing is, that you actually can't have anti-drug messages (at least in kid's shows) because that would require you to have to show drugs or an allegory for them. Even deglorifying them for a point gets your episode banned (see Buzz Lightyear of Star command).
Good point!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Dinosaurs tackled things with ruthlessness and got away with it because it both looked kid friendly and not taken too seriously AND it flew that under the radar that no one actually had the chance to find anything controversial in it.

The show openly mocked Scientology! And it was so under the radar no one tried suing them.

But I take the "Happy Plant" episode as partially sincere, partially scathing. But on that level, they were far more accurate with their portrayal of pot than anything else before it, especially this cartoon special. It showed everyone using it wasting their time, reacting to it as goofy (and in one case very paranoid), and just not doing anything worthwhile since the plant was all they thought they needed. So yeah, in a way, they did have some sincerity about it.

But it also brutally satirized networks having to make these propaganda pieces (even though they had good intentions). The message at the end was one of the most bitingly brilliant in the show's short lifespan. Stop doing drugs or we'll have to have more preachy sitcoms telling you to quit.

And to think, this show lost in the ratings because of a show that had the same three mysteries every week. :stick_out_tongue:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That said, you know when Dinosaurs did the drugs episode, they did it sarcastically, right? :hungry:

It was done sarcastically in "A New Leaf", but I think drugs were taken more seriously in "Steroids to Heaven".

mimitchi33

Reaction score
Happy late birthday, Cartoon All-Stars! I watched this as a kid on YouTube and thought it was cool. I did like the Nostalgia Critic's review of this as well...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm really starting to realize that this thing was the greatest waste of all time. Other than the fact they perpetuated the lie that Pot is exactly LSD, you had all these great characters stripped of what made them great to push a well meaning agenda, delivered poorly. Drugs aren't good, sure. And we should have more simplistic messages about things like this for kids. But the more I think about it, the fewer and fewer I remember actually handling the message with clarity and maturity. Not everyone can be Bravestarr.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Anyone seen this? A nice companion piece to CASTTR. I can't help but laugh out loud when Boo Boo's totally late '80's buddy offers him drugs.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Here is a question do they do programs like D.A.R.E or just say NO anymore?