THAT'S how it ends?!?! REALLY?!?!

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Didn't like the HIMYM ending and in fact it has made it hard to watch the reruns in syndication. An ending I did like was Scrubs. I loved the ending to scrubs (even though they came back for another year). It was mostly about how endings don't measure up to our expectations...then the last 6 minutes hit you emotionally hard...and even give us a glimpse of the future characters but in a much more positive light than HIMYM. Besides they did a Sesame Street episode.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Did they even think about the finale before filming any of season nine?

It's been widely sourced that the ending (at least the parts with the kids) was filmed much earlier. I'd read about a year ago that the ending was filmed in the second season, then last week read that it was filmed during the first season. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if every scene with the kids was filmed on the same day.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I'm guessing by the clip of the kids talking to him and the clip of ted being different and not really in the same scene that the clip with the kids was in fact filmed earlier, which actually bothered me as this means that aspect was intended...which didn't bother me as much as the fact that they built up the whole Barney and Robin thing only to destroy it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
which didn't bother me as much as the fact that they built up the whole Barney and Robin thing only to destroy it.
What really made me annoyed by it was that they didn't even put up a fight for the marriage and just junked it 3 years in on one argument. They didn't try to work it out, making it completely disposable. It's bad enough the divorce erased what made the last 2 seasons special, but for it to basically be a throwaway plot device? You'd think that after all Barney did for Robin, he'd try MUCH harder to get things to work. They didn't even have them break up over infidelity... just Robin's job at SHIELD World Wide News kept getting in the way of them seeing each other. It makes it even more disgusting a plot turn.

That and killing the mother off for some idiotic plot twist... really? I agree. I'm no longer compelled to watch a rerun in syndication. The ending was horrible.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
If they had the divorce planned for years, it was unacceptable to spend an ENTIRE season dedicated to this wedding. It's just...dumb. They focused on many things that DIDN'T EVEN HAPPEN. What a waste of time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The wedding's only significance was that's how the mother was met. If there was at least more struggling and denial about their marriage and it ended slowly with love fading, it still wouldn't have been a major screw you to the audience.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
The wedding's only significance was that's how the mother was met. If there was at least more struggling and denial about their marriage and it ended slowly with love fading, it still wouldn't have been a major screw you to the audience.

True, but the whole lead up was a major waste of time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Waste of time's not the word. Waste of time I can handle. Most of the episodes this season were wastes of time of a Dragon Ball Z filler episode level (almost makes me want How I Met Your Mother Kai). They built something up to purposely tear it down. That's more trolling than wasting time.

Eh, but the creators are at least kind of apologetic to everyone that hated the ending. But they're TRYING to get How I Met Your Dad on TV. Now, either it's about the dead woman meeting Ted (so you know how it ends) or another bunch of expies in a mission pack sequel. While I do not think these guys are Satan for their ending, I just don't get why they'd want to just VR Troopers/Jabberjaw themselves and make a self imposed ripoff of themselves. How about another kind of TV series? No one's going to want to get involved in a similar series, especially if they're only going to look forward to a screw you ending.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
It's real annoying how such popular TV shows end. I watched the HIMYM season finale waiting for them to show me the freaking mother, and guess what she lasted about a half-hour! I don't understand why a show called how i met your mother has the mother only in the very last part of the very last episode! And the show's all about robin apparently! Well it wasn't half as bad as the Seinfeld finale as muppet fan said "shudder".