Why Does Everybody Hate Scrappy-Doo?

snichols1973

Reaction score
It seems that while Shaggy and Scooby would much rather take a less dangerous approach when handling bad guys, that Scrappy usually seems to have a chip on his shoulders, and whenever he says something like "Nobody messes with my Uncle Scooby", the situation gets a little more dangerously intense and the baddies get angry and put more steam into chasing Shaggy and Scooby, when Shag and Scoob would much rather leave well enough alone than have Scrappy's meddling make things worse....

And one of the definitions of "scrappy" is 'having an aggressive and determined spirit; feisty', which is a rather accurate description of Scrappy's disposition....

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't hate Scrappy much. I haven't seen the Shaggy/Scooby show that was on Kids WB, but if the episodes just had them two always running away from danger, nothing would be accomplished. Scrappy actually forced them to get things done.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I always found the character annoying. Beginning and end of story.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know who's worse?

Donkey Kong Jr.

Essentially the same character in an even worse show. And get this... his catchphrase is "Monkey Muscle."

The word Expy has never been used so appropriately.

I don't hate Scrappy much. I haven't seen the Shaggy/Scooby show that was on Kids WB, but if the episodes just had them two always running away from danger, nothing would be accomplished. Scrappy actually forced them to get things done.
Having seen those Scrappy cartoons, Scrappy WAS the reason they always ran from stuff. Scrappy was always pickin' scraps. I hate those cartoons. In the actual shows that were more Scooby-Dooish, he wasn't terrible. A sixth wheel at worst.

Yeah Scrappy doo actually saved scooby doo and got more likable particularly in the 80s with the 13 ghosts
The 13 Ghosts was headed up by a future Animaniacs writer for one thing. The other being that Flim Flam was...well... kinda worse a character. But they gave Scrappy something to do, and they let him break the fourth wall and evolve as a character. Puppy Power was actually rarely uttered. To me, the worst character in 13 Ghosts was the obvious parody of Ed Grimley that the voice actor was completely oblivious to, and always stressed the wrong word in "I MUST say."

Yeah. And it's true. Scrappy did save the show from cancellation. Look at how famous Scooby still is. He's been on TV every decade since the first series (there was that break in the 90's where they only did DTV movies, but the reruns were strong enough on CN). And it almost came to an end in the late 70's until the worst remembered character brought those ratings back up.

Yorick

Reaction score
Without Scrappy, the only interesting characters are Shaggy and Scooby (with the exception of Pup Named Scooby Doo, where they are all funny at times, if I remember rightly). When Scrappy is involved, not only do I laugh more often, due to how hilarious he is, but there is often a real supernatural threat involved (not just in 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo) as opposed to just someone in a costume. I love Scrappy.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I don't personally hate him. I think the hatred is a tad overblown (I've seen people call him the AntiChrist. Drama queen much?). I think that over the years, there have just become some cartoon characters who it's become acceptable to hate to melodramatic levels (Lisa Simpson is approaching this territory with a lot of fans, whereas I get yelled at for hating sacred cows, like Roger from American Dad). Wherever you stand though, at least Scrappy tried to fight the monsters instead of running from them like the rest of the gang did, so....there's that.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
i don"t hate scrappy but im mad that they made him evil in the live action movie and the fact that they made fred like a metrosexual jerk and made daphne prissy when she was not like that in the orignal cartoons its just as bad as when they used a siamese cat for the charactor nermal in garfield the movie when nermal is actually a silver tabby

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I'm not a major Scooby fan, but I don't mind Scrappy. Though (with all due respect to the brilliant Lennie Weinrib) I prefer Don Messick's Scrappy. I was more annoyed by some of the Scooby series' formulaic story lines. Kudos to Tom Ruegger and his team for shaking things up in the late 80's.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Without Scrappy, the only interesting characters are Shaggy and Scooby (with the exception of Pup Named Scooby Doo, where they are all funny at times, if I remember rightly). When Scrappy is involved, not only do I laugh more often, due to how hilarious he is, but there is often a real supernatural threat involved (not just in 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo) as opposed to just someone in a costume. I love Scrappy.
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! FINALLY SOMEBODY ADMITS THAT HE IS ONE OF THE ONLY FEW WITH A PERSONALITY!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm not a major Scooby fan, but I don't mind Scrappy. Though (with all due respect to the brilliant Lennie Weinrib) I prefer Don Messick's Scrappy. I was more annoyed by some of the Scooby series' formulaic story lines. Kudos to Tom Ruegger and his team for shaking things up in the late 80's.
On the one hand, sure... the collective response is that Flim Flam is more annoying and it makes Scrappy look better, but I chalk it all up to the sharp pre-Animaniacs writing of Rugger and co for making Scrappy a genuinely funny, likable character in 13 Ghosts. And for thankfully cooling off on that P-p-p-p-p-p-puppy Power. Stuff.

For a WORSE Scrappy, there's the scrappy expy of Donkey Kong Jr. in Saturday Morning Supercade. Of course, the DKJ cartoon really sucks.