Muppets Most Wanted Press Reviews

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I just wanna mention I've seen parts of Rio and I just couldn't get into it I'd rather watch Toy Story.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Remember Fox News bashed Tex Richman for being an "evil American tycoon" stereotype in The Muppets? I'm surprised no one went out and bashed The Lego Movie for "Lord Business".

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
My gosh, you're right. I did a quick search on it. Here's what the weirdos are saying:

This guy calls "The Lego Movie" anti-Christian".
http://kevennewsome.com/2014/02/25/the-lego-movie-one-of-the-most-anti-christian-movies-ever/

Fox Accuses Lord Business looks like Mitt Romney:
http://freakoutnation.com/2014/02/0...vie-the-villain-looks-a-bit-like-mitt-romney/

This guy calls the movie "communist".
http://www.vulture.com/2014/02/lego-movies-antidote-to-kids-movie-clichs.html

Wow. There are a lot of idiots on the internet.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And they TOTALLY failed to find any Libertarian/Ayn Randish tones in the fact that the villain is a tyrannical president that wants to spread conformity and suppress creativity. Not so much stupid as oblivious.

Slackbot

Reaction score
As someone who recently read "Atlas Shrugged" cover to cover, including introduction and notes on the author, I want to weep every time that book is mentioned. That's several months of my life I won't get back. But then I remember my favorite part of the book--"She turned to the door in astonished indifference"--and I can smile again.

I hadn't really thought of comparing TLM to AS, but you're right, there are points to consider. The dictator who suppresses those "tall poppies" who would change the status quo, and wants to freeze the level of technology rather than allow unbridled invention parallels the government and its pet organizations who drive out the scientists who do not sell out to them, and throttle everything good and wise by regulating it to death. However, he is the one who wanted to bring about The End, whereas in AS it was the Smart People who decided to "break" the world by withdrawing their oh-so-critical brains from it, then swoop in and take over when everything fell into chaos. That couldn't have happened in a world made of interlocking bricks and KRYGLE.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hadn't really thought of comparing TLM to AS, but you're right, there are points to consider. The dictator who suppresses those "tall poppies" who would change the status quo, and wants to freeze the level of technology rather than allow unbridled invention parallels the government and its pet organizations who drive out the scientists who do not sell out to them, and throttle everything good and wise by regulating it to death.
You can tell how hard they're pressing the "oppressed right" manipulation and "They're coming to get you, Barbara" paranoia when they stress how "bad" it makes them look vs. turning the film into their own personal talking point. And remember, there were people on the far right who praised The Dark Knight for cherry picking the plot for their support of the Patriot Act, and basically making it their message.

Like I said, Unikitty said one of the best things about CloudCuckooland was that there was "no government." Cough cough cough...

You'd think the right would actually like MMW... it makes the heck fun of the French, especially their constant breaks and more liberal stance on business (wasn't there a car commercial that basically slammed Europe for not working their employees to death?). Now that I think of it, I'm surprised they didn't have a "French workers always go on strike" joke. I swear, they had one in Madagascar 3, and I was the ONLY one in the theater that got it.

galagr

Reaction score
I could say a million things about the reviews that have come up in the past week. However, when I read a negative review, this is basically what I read (Every time, even. ALL the negative reviews sound the same):

"Muppets Most Wanted is a bit of a change of tone from their previous movie. The humor is wacky, silly, and generally all over the place, much like the feel of the original show. But the Muppets aren't allowed to be themselves anymore. They need to be sweet, sappy, sugar coated characters that need to invoke a feeling of nostalgia every millisecond they're on screen. They also need to act exactly the way we remember them. And more Jason Segal. The movie cannot thrive without the guy who appeared completely nude in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"."

Also, if you ask me, in the next production, provided there is one, they should keep the celebrities to a minimal. In fact, they shouldn't even announce them. I can't tell you the amount of times if seen people comment "OMG this movie has Ricky Gervais/ Tina Fey in it worst movie ever they're soooo inappropriate for children" or (and this one is MUCH more common) "OMG this movie has Ross Lynch/Tom Hiddleston in it omg i bet they star and get two hours of screentime omg they're soooooo cute."

We are getting to the point where people judge Muppet movies on the celebrity cameos, and not the Muppets themselves. Yeah. Something's wrong with that, folks.