The Clarence thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
It's that time again! Not to spin the Wheel of Morality, but for me to give my impressions on another new cartoon!

I recently saw the pilot episode of Clarence, an upcoming CN show from Adventure Time storyboard artist Skyler Page, and I enjoy it. Clarence is this poor but naively optimistic kid who befriends two other boys (they're the only ones who show up) when holding a sleepover: one nerdy and neurotic, and the other a troublemaking party animal. Clarence is the one who holds them together during their adventures.

The art style is a bit ugly, but it grew on me. I like how Jeff (the nerdy one) has a square head to really hammer in how "uncool" he is.

galagr

Reaction score
I saw the pilot on iTunes. It seems like a good enough show. I have a feeling it'll become pretty popular due to the nostalgia factor that it has. It really reminds you of the stuff you used to do with your friends when they came over.

It almost has an Ed, Edd, n Eddy feel to it. It probably won't be as good as that show, but the characters feel similar. There's a smart, germaphobic child, and the other two are goof offs who aren't too popular in school.

I'll give it a chance.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It almost has an Ed, Edd, n Eddy feel to it. It probably won't be as good as that show, but the characters feel similar. There's a smart, germaphobic child, and the other two are goof offs who aren't too popular in school.

I'll give it a chance.
Yeah, it does have a feel of EEnE now that I think about it, but it doesn't feel like a complete ripoff.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've seen it and I have mixed, but positive thoughts about it. The opening of the episode where Clarence was trying hard to make friends and everyone ignored his invitations was kinda depressing, and realistically so. But once you realize how absolutely insane Clarence is, then the show perks up and gets much, much better. It's one thing that he's a dorky little kid, but it's quite another (and better) that he's so incredibly off center that he shoves bees in a pinata, thinking that's fun.

I did like the modest bitter-sweetness at the beginning after it sunk in, but once it became more loud, goofy, and crazy, then it felt like a true CN series. This has potential and I'm really going to enjoy it. I don't want to say more or less than Uncle Grandpa or Steven Universe, since they're both different shows with different feels.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I relate so much to the Jeff, the square-headed kid. Real shy and socially awkward, and a lover of game shows. :big_grin:

Loved the epicness of Jeff's pursuit of Clarence through the "Fun Dungeon" playplace in the 1st episode. It is definitely not a good idea to eat (or in this case, take) his fries. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to admit, while I did really enjoy the pilot, the series itself is much better, and more defined. But I guess that usually is the case. Maybe it's because this is the first time we get to see Clarence and his friends in a public place with adults nervously reacting to their weird little quirks. I especially enjoyed that touch of awkwardness when Clarance ordered the hip watchers Chicken Salad. I also really enjoyed Sumo going off and doing his own thing during the chase and fight sequences. That bit with him and the girl's toy was priceless.

This show really has potential.

Mister Muppet

Reaction score
Watched the pilot and 1st episode on youtube and I gotta say I really enjoy it so far. It has a lot of great potential, also the part in the Fun Dungeon in episode 1 was really fun :smile:

galagr

Reaction score
They have the first episode for free on iTunes, also. I'd say the Fun Dungeon episode is a lot better than the pilot itself. I'll definitely watch it more. I'm also really diggin' the opening sequence, and it shows the overall attitude of the show. It's kids being kids.

I'm ashamed on how long it took me to realize that Sumo's voice was Tom Kenny. It really didn't hit me until he started playing with the girl toy.

I was definitely like Sumo as a kid.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm ashamed on how long it took me to realize that Sumo's voice was Tom Kenny. It really didn't hit me until he started playing with the girl toy.
That's the same voice he used when voicing Mitch on The Powerpuff Girls.

galagr

Reaction score
That's the same voice he used when voicing Mitch on The Powerpuff Girls.

You're right! Their voices do sound eerily similar.

Man, that voice can't be easy on his throat. I think they might have to limit the lines he gets with that character to avoid damaging his vocal cords.