What is your least favorite Muppet Movie?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It didn't seem like Jerry did any puppeteering in that film anyway. Most of his characters were clearly dubbed. The only who I'm sure he was actually manipulating was the Ubergonzo.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hey what about MTM with the mayor thing, and I don't know MMW with "Toy Story 4". In 20 years when TS4 is a decade old that joke will be SO outdated. I mean a lot of pop culture jokes aren't bad if you know where to stop. I remember watching an episode of "I Love Lucy" recently where Lucy was pretending to be in a TV, with a box in front of her, then Ricky comes and she drops something outside of the box and he says, "What do know 3-D television". That cracked me up, while that's not really pop culture, does it really matter if a film has dated jokes. Unless VMX was all about Kermit on Fear Factor or something then does it really matter? Those jokes seal it in one era and I think that doesn't make it dated, just a nostalgic overload.
I'll say this: It isn't the pop culture jokes in VMX that make it dated, it's how they used them. Again, that style is more akin to Scary Movie (when people actually liked it) and early Family Guy. Rapid fire, non-stop parody. Now, that's very much early 00's humor, which came to a crashing fall out of fashion because on Disaster Movie. Pretty much the worst example of pop culture rapid fire parody failure there is. Where as in other Muppet films, the pop culture, while it does date the films (yes, I include some of the cameos), the humor still manages to ring out. Time will tell for MMW... the only cringe I had was the mention of One Direction... but for the most part, the pop culture humor aspects in that film didn't hurt it.

That said, while the Crock Hunter reference in VMX was a little ehhh, it really wasn't their fault that he died tragically. But the WORST Pop Culture reference in Muppet film history... well... I'll give you 2. The Mice Girls poster in MFS and the Kelly Osborne thing in... yeah... not even naming it.

Jerry had this to say -
"I did the Ubergonzo. And that was kind of weird. We did that down in North Carolina. I liked Wilmington, the town. It was a whole different feel to that because Brian didn’t direct it. Somehow it felt weird, and I can’t really pinpoint it".
I can't help feel the film would have been much better if Brian directed. he should have, I can't remember the story why he didn't, but MFS was hurt by directing misfires most of all. The backstage drama behind the film that caused general ennui on the part of Sony and Henson are why I'd consider it the worst theatrical of the Muppet films (wait for the but...). BUT I still consider MCC to be my least favorite. MFS actually used to be my favorite of the 3 Theatricals post-Henson (the phase 2...TV movies being phase 3, and the Disney ones 4), but I really gave MTI a second look and nudged it above MFS. Ignorance is bliss, and the stories I've heard of what could have been tainted MFS for me, but I still really enjoy it.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I'll say this: It isn't the pop culture jokes in VMX that make it dated, it's how they used them. Again, that style is more akin to Scary Movie (when people actually liked it) and early Family Guy. Rapid fire, non-stop parody. Now, that's very much early 00's humor, which came to a crashing fall out of fashion because on Disaster Movie. Pretty much the worst example of pop culture rapid fire parody failure there is. Where as in other Muppet films, the pop culture, while it does date the films (yes, I include some of the cameos), the humor still manages to ring out. Time will tell for MMW... the only cringe I had was the mention of One Direction... but for the most part, the pop culture humor aspects in that film didn't hurt it.

That said, while the Crock Hunter reference in VMX was a little ehhh, it really wasn't their fault that he died tragically. But the WORST Pop Culture reference in Muppet film history... well... I'll give you 2. The Mice Girls poster in MFS and the Kelly Osborne thing in... yeah... not even naming it.

I can't help feel the film would have been much better if Brian directed. he should have, I can't remember the story why he didn't, but MFS was hurt by directing misfires most of all. The backstage drama behind the film that caused general ennui on the part of Sony and Henson are why I'd consider it the worst theatrical of the Muppet films (wait for the but...). BUT I still consider MCC to be my least favorite. MFS actually used to be my favorite of the 3 Theatricals post-Henson (the phase 2...TV movies being phase 3, and the Disney ones 4), but I really gave MTI a second look and nudged it above MFS. Ignorance is bliss, and the stories I've heard of what could have been tainted MFS for me, but I still really enjoy it.
For the VMX thing, I've got to tell you I watched my DVD last night, and I still love the film. I mean I don't know when you were born but in '02 I was like 1 yrs. old (I wish I could've seen muppet history in action back then) so the crock hunter jokes and stuff make as little sense to me as why MFS waasn't directed by Brian. I mean the only jokes I get is the Fear Factor, Scrubs, and Kelly Ripa ones. I bet if I was born when the film was out I'd have seen how badly the pop culture jokes were used, but most of them go over my head.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Disregarding its flaws, VMX is still a pretty good film with a nice heart behind it. NBC's forced vertical product integration aside, there isn't anything really that bad. It's just the non-stop, rapid fire thing was something that was perfect for it's period.

But again, Disaster Movie destroyed that completely. Pop culture jokes kinda have to be subtle now. Not what they reference mind you, but how they reference it.

other than that, it had a LOT of what fans wanted to see for years. Kermit expressing complex emotions (forgivable for his roles in MTI and MCC where he had to be nuanced, unforgivable in MFS where he was just there), the Piggy/Kermit relationship explored... I mean, that scene in the alternate universe where Piggy lacks confidence and lives alone, and Kermit realizing how much they both need each other. That was beautiful right there. Take away the pop culture bits, and the film really has heart to it.

SpookyMania

Reaction score
I think the worst one was VMX. There are some others that I'm not fond of, but VMX just left a bad taste in my mouth. It never really felt like the Muppets to me.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Disregarding its flaws, VMX is still a pretty good film with a nice heart behind it. NBC's forced vertical product integration aside, there isn't anything really that bad. It's just the non-stop, rapid fire thing was something that was perfect for it's period.

But again, Disaster Movie destroyed that completely. Pop culture jokes kinda have to be subtle now. Not what they reference mind you, but how they reference it.

other than that, it had a LOT of what fans wanted to see for years. Kermit expressing complex emotions (forgivable for his roles in MTI and MCC where he had to be nuanced, unforgivable in MFS where he was just there), the Piggy/Kermit relationship explored... I mean, that scene in the alternate universe where Piggy lacks confidence and lives alone, and Kermit realizing how much they both need each other. That was beautiful right there. Take away the pop culture bits, and the film really has heart to it.
So just VCR it when it's on The CW that's basically an NBC-free version of VMX.

David French

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
This thread is called "What is the Worst Muppet Movie" not "which Muppet Movie do you dislike greatly."
And yes, I am being a little unfair to those who don't like that movie. But think of it this way. MFS and MWO killed the franchise. Twice. The Muppets gave us Muppets Most Wanted. Of which, by every indication looks like a far better movie. So yeah, there is a logical biased towards the film. Yes, it does have it's fair share of problems. A stronger edit would have done the film a world of good. However, I'm not saying anyone has to like it, I'm just saying calling it the worst is nothing short of snotty fanboy mode because it's different from something made back 30+ years ago when there are plenty of worse things the Muppets were associated with.

The difference between a disappointing or not that great film and a bad film is that an okay film could have been salvaged. A Truly bad film cannot. Least favorite is an opinion. Worst is a title.
Now who's talking hyperbole? "Killed the franchise"?

I consider The Muppets to be the worst Muppet Movie as I felt it was less a Muppet film and more a Disney film disguised as a Muppet film. It has nothing to do with "some self centered old school fanboy self-righteousness."

We're being asked in this thread to say what we individually think is the worst Muppet Movie, and I consider "The Muppets" to be the worst film.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Over freaking Kermit's Swamp Years and Muppet Wizard of Oz, you mean?

Yeah. Those two really felt like Muppet films there. :rolleyes:

Bridget

Reaction score
Now, I personally believe that every Muppet movie has at least ONE thing that is good about it. I am definitely very iffy about the Muppets Wizard of Oz, because obviously, it did not live up to "Muppet Standards" as a a Muppet movie. However, we do get to see a lot of Pepe action in this movie- some of his lines being very humorous.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's not to say there aren't some things I liked about MWO. But it just boils down to Scooter's in it and the Electric Mayhem sort of plays 2 songs. The newer characters gave their best, but couldn't save it for me like they did with MFS.