The Dark Crystal - Info and Links

Laszlo

Reaction score
Great idea! Did you make it with the official map, made for the movie?
Now you should do an interactive Skeksis Castle... :wink:
Yes, I am that Laszlo. I hope you like the shard. It really is the best and most accurate collectible I ever saw.

Johnny Wilson

Reaction score
Hi Laszlo, I was very impressed with the shard prop, I compared it to every picture I had of the actual prop and every facet and angle is spot on. I remember reading that you used an actual screen used shard to make the mold, is that correct? Do you know someone who worked on the film? A buddy of mine is friends with Lyle Conway but I have not gotten to meet him yet. He was in the thick of it on The Dark Crystal and I would love to ask him to recall some of his experiences. Thanks for making such a great shard by the way! I didn't use the actual map from the movie, I scanned the map from "The World of The Dark Crystal" and painted out all the lines and anything that wasn't just terrain. Aughra's observatory is based only on what I could see in the film, I can find no picture of it anywhere and even in the film I can barely make it out. It's mostly modeled from the image that emerges from Ursu's magic bowl of stew or whatever that was.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Glad to hear you like it!

I can confirm that it is casted from a real prop, as I do own an original as well.
It was produced by a toy manufacturer as a promo item.
I am very glad that this beautiful piece has now been preserved, and has been made available for all normal mortals :smile: . Not everyone can afford a USD 5000.- original. Let alone if you can find one at all! Almost impossible.
I bought the original from a former employee. Unfortunately, At the moment I do not have direct contact to crew members.
Maybe you can ask your buddy if he can get some props. Im always very interested...

Laszlo

Reaction score
Above is a very cool production used map.
Aughra's observatory can be seen in the distance when Jen climbs the mountain. Best way for a good screenshot would be the Blu-Ray. Can you make screenshots?

Johnny Wilson

Reaction score
Hi Lazlo, sorry for the delay, I just saw your post. That map is what I used to place all the landmarks in the 3D map along with the Froud map. Originally I wanted to make a realistic map with trees and photo real mountains just to see what Thra would look like in real life and I was using the above map more than the other one but it ended up being too processor intense and taking too much time. I wonder where that map is now.

Johnny Wilson

Reaction score
Just looked at your gallery, is that all your art work? If s then WOW! Nice work! And where the heck did you get that Skesis castle model? I can't find one anywhere. Did you make that?

Laszlo

Reaction score
Hi Johnny,
yes thats all my work. Thank you for the kind words!
I did the Skeksis Castle myself. It seems a lot of people want one...