"Peanuts" movie in development for November 2015 release

Drtooth

Reaction score
It looks like the Peanuts estate probably has a major hand in making sure this film has the right look and feel. Hopefully, they're as strict about the script.

And I really hope Peppermint Patty and Marcie are in this thing. There's this huge retro-sixties movement with the Peanuts lately, and they seem to sometimes be left out (like in Happiness was a Warm Blanket). They are, after all, 2 of my favorite characters.

Teheheman

Reaction score
I actually like it. I'm glad that it's more traditional, Peanuts style and I think that's one of the reasons why the Schultz family signed off on this. I'm sure if they heard it was 'live action' or CGI-look as real as possible thing, they wouldn't have said yes. I was skeptical about this but this isn't bad. Like I said, I'd have to see a trailer first. Hope we see more footage soon as the movie gets closer.

Daniel

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I don't want to sound like a fangirl, but I just went "squee!" after seeing the teaser.

:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I actually like it. I'm glad that it's more traditional, Peanuts style and I think that's one of the reasons why the Schultz family signed off on this. I'm sure if they heard it was 'live action' or CGI-look as real as possible thing, they wouldn't have said yes. I was skeptical about this but this isn't bad. Like I said, I'd have to see a trailer first. Hope we see more footage soon as the movie gets closer.
Live action would never work. Unless they were doing a staged You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown or Snoopy the Musical thing, but I can't see that being anything more than a limited release concert thing. As I said earlier, John Hughes threatened to make one decades back. Presumably, live action... I dunno, I still see Gedde Watanabe playing Charlie Brown's hereto never seen racist Chinese/Japanese friend. :skeptical:

Now that I'm thinking about it, I would imagine they'd use child actors for this one. Question is, will they split the difference and hire established celebrity child actors for this one? Kinda like how they used the kid from The Neighbors as Sherman in Peabody and Sherman.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Live action would never work.
I have to agree. The whole point of Peanuts is it's children saying unexpected, grown up things. The way to get that across in a charming way was to use real children's voices but have the cover of animated characters. I think if you used live action children awkwardly saying such lines it would look embarrassing. That's why the stage musicals used adults. Now if they wanted to film the stage show that would be fine. But yeah, they couldn't use adults in a normal movie setting.

Frankly I have little hope for the script. That always seems to be the weakness in these reboots/remakes, heh.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, that's why in the decades of Peanuts, we've never seen a movie that isn't animated. If it were simple, we'd've seen one by now, maybe something in the 70's.

There's too much that couldn't translate in live action. Snoopy, being the major and obvious issue. Unless they were going for a L'il Folks type adaption, Snoopy is too human to work correctly. Yeah, CGI... but that wouldn't have been viable until the 90's. Still, what would be the point?

But other than that, all I could see is something that looks like that 90's Little Rascals thing, but with the children talking about deep psychological things. I dunno... that buffer of them looking like cartoons stops it from being ...well... weird. Think of how weird it would be to see kids actually talking like the Peanuts characters in real life. That's unsettling!

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Now, I'm very mixed about this considering what animation studio is behind it.

I will say Boom has done a very good job with their comic book, keeping the characters completely in tact and pitch perfect in new stories. They're under heavy scrutiny from the Schulz children and Schulz legacy people to make sure of that. I'm sure they'll have a fine toothed comb through the process, making sure that it won't be like every CGI film out there. And I hope part of that is keeping the original character looks as well as personalities.

But I have a mixed feeling with Blue Sky. They have very gorgeous looking movies, but the scripts are usually half done to almost there. Horton Hears a Who I dug, but it felt as schizophrenic as they portrayed Horton in the trailers. Sure, the "anime" sequence was beautifully animated, but made no sense, even in context (odd, since the movie was an analogy of post war Japan). And the person heading this film is the one behind the last Ice Age movie, which had a coherent script (possibly the most coherent of all the films) and a funny villain and crazy old sloth that stole the show, but just lacked something otherwise.

Plus, how is this thing going to get made? Will it be a "Happiness is a Warm Puppy" type film made out of existing Peanuts strip stories?
I'm also on the fence with the film. After watching the teaser, I like how even though it's CG they're making it more like the Charlie Brown look which is good, and second the voice actor behind Charlie Brown is the best I've heard in a long while, and is Snoopy's voice dubbed, because if it isn't then kudos to that voice actor too, BUT there could be many things that go wrong, the story, character portrayal etc.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
This movie, we can tell it's not "Alvin and the chipmunks" or " The Cat in the Hat" all over again.