Votes: 18 9.9%
  • 2 Stars - Fair

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • 1 Star - Poor

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
wow oh wow we might have a freaking hour of deleted scenes!
It's possible! I'm crossing my fingers for a major extended version. There's a possibility that's what they'll do.

I think the problem was that children won't sit through a 120 minute Muppet film.

Of course that's the reason, but it's a shame that things had to be cut, but at least they actually went out and filmed it, so it exists out there. James Bobin likes to film more than they need, and that's one of the things I like about him. There's so many scenes we haven't seen yet, so I'm really excited for the Deleted Scene once this thing hits Blu-Ray.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Of course that's the reason, but it's a shame that things had to be cut, but at least they actually went out and filmed it, so it exists out there. James Bobin likes to film more than they need, and that's one of the things I like about him. There's so many scenes we haven't seen yet, so I'm really excited for the Deleted Scene once this thing hits Blu-Ray.

The film is already incredibly long as is, clocking in at 113 minutes.

Anyways... I guess I'm going to give the first non-glowing review. Don't get me wrong: I really, really wanted to love this. And I probably also need to rewatch it.

It was just... okay. There was a lot of good in there, and I thought that they cut in places that they didn't need to cut and there were other areas where they probably should've cut more.

While I liked that aside from Ricky Gervais (who puts out way too little effort aside from his musical number) there's not as much emphasis put on the human characters, the entire production kind of felt off-balance. A lot of focus on Kermit/Constantine/Piggy with an almost too-late subplot featuring Walter, Fozzie and Animal... I did really appreciate the gag about Rizzo and Robin, but in the end I felt like there needed to actually be more Muppets focus. They were there, but only really in the background and to input gags every now and then. The fact that they judiciously cut them out of certain musical numbers (poor Gonzo got straight ripped out of the Interrogation Song, Pepe lost his solo in the Los Muppets Show number, and Rowlf had his excellent line taken away from We're Doing a Sequel)... it kind of set me aback.

The second half of the movie is definitely better than the first half, especially when Ty Burrell as Jean and Sam Eagle show up. My sister and I agreed that they were absolutely the best part of the movie, I loved their little friendship. Especially the running gag where Jean keeps taking impromptu breaks because... well, he's French haha. This is the first plot Sam has ever had in a Muppet movie, correct? It may be worth it for that very honor, so I'm glad that this film did do something new.

Otherwise, the movie would only occasionally have us laughing and the songs were too few since that's when it truly sparkled through Bret's music and lyrics. "I'll Get You What You Want" and "Something So Right" felt totally like old Muppets, but then you got back to the movie which only ever so often felt like it.

I feel like I'm being too mean in retrospect, and there were some sound issues in the theater regarding balancing and some personal stuff as well so I most definitely watch it again. But I don't think I'll find it better than the 2011 film, which had a less meandering plot and felt a little more polished.

Of course, I am thrilled that it's out in theaters and hope this leads for more success to this franchise as always.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
I was so excited to see Rizzo Pepe Robin Bobo Pops Bobby Benson Poogy and Uncle Deadly.

Steve Whitmire, Eric Jacobson and Matt Vogel definetly played to their strengths this time around as Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie and Constantine!

The amazing puppetry in this movie is just shocking! Constantine is the character that is most full bodied in the movie! When he broke out of the GULAG, switching places with Kermit, his Yoda like moves when leaving Kermit to get sent to the GULAG, Im Number One number!

Speaking of Im Number One, that number an Together Again.... Again have to be my favorite scenes visually of the movie! Constantine is full bodied the whole time! And together again all the muppets are full bodied!

Constantine always says "I am Kiermit" alot throughout the movie!

Constantine fainting was awesome!

Dominic and Constantine always planned their explosions and break ins when loud things were happening on stage such as, Crazy Harry blowing things up, Indoor running of the bulls, and Mutations drilling on stage.

Poogy being in the GULAG was hilarious!

The Big House number was very beautifully shot!

Constantine saying "Good night folks. YAY!" in Kermits voice was funny!

The Helicopter scene was EPIC!

I loved that Constantine was leading the Russian prisoners during the russian part in Together Again.

Last thing I loved was that Kermit tells Nadya to sing her solo, and then THE END pops up and screen and she yells "KIERMIT!"

Oscarfan

Reaction score
One thing made me go completely "What" was the fact the Crown security system is completely turned off my the locket. How would that've worked? Those things were made well before that security system must have been implemented.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
One thing made me go completely "What" was the fact the Crown security system is completely turned off my the locket. How would that've worked? Those things were made well before that security system must have been implemented.

The whole Da Vinci Code/National Treasure thing really took aback now that I think about it. I think it hurt a lot of the film's pacing and would've been better off without it.

I also forgot to mention I loved Beauregard in the movie as the train conductor!

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I got to sneak out after putting my daughter to bed last night and go see this. It's hard for me to remember everything now, but WOW I laughed hard! I had a weird bout of laryngitis a week or so ago, and I would have forgotten about it completely except for this movie--it made me use places in my voice I don't use very often just from the continual giggles and occasional side-splitters that just came fast and furious. A few quibbles with pacing or plotting aside, I thought this was one terrific movie! It did what it should do--some of my oldest friends in the world entertained me thoroughly for two hours. What more could I ask for? (Even the Monsters University short that preceded it was, I thought, inspired).

I was particularly happy to see so many of the MTI characters as extras, especially in the gulag. I've got a special place for that movie--it came out when I was in college, and it was the first Muppet movie I saw in theaters since childhood (somehow I didn't catch MCC until video). It was great to see Angel Marie and other built-for-MTI pirates and supporting characters still lurking around the background with the Muppet regulars.

Hooray for MMW!

Slackbot

Reaction score
I left work at lunch and saw a matinee today. The theater was half full, mostly of families with young kids. I brought my Skeeter puppet and talked with some of the kids before the show, and ended up posing for a few pictures with them. Working the theater crowd--I oughtta get paid. :wink:

I can't get in-depth on the film, as the first viewing of any movie is a blur in my mind. I can't see it clearly enough to analyze it until the second or subsequent viewings. (My father has invited me to see it tomorrow, soooo....) Overall, I enjoyed the heck out of it, and wanted more. That said, here are some disorganized comments and nitpicks.

* The opening, which took a sledgehammer to the fourth wall and lampshaded the sequel device made me happy. That was such a Muppetty way to handle things. And the backstage workings as seen here are so close to what I would have envisioned were I to try to write a Muppet story.

* I was surprised at Celine Dion's song with Piggy. Specifically, I'm surprised that Miss Piggy allowed her to get so much camera time when Miss Piggy was having a moment. When she faded in at the end, covering up what I think was a picture of Kermit that Miss Piggy was looking at, I half expected Piggy to swat her away, barking that this was HER song. Seriously, why was she on the screen so much?

* My favorite song? The Interrogation Song. I LOVE patter songs. (Ask me about my Gilbery & Sullivan collection.) After that, We're Doing a Sequel and then I'm Number One. Oscar bait & love songs don't do much for me.

* I liked The Wall. However, the special effects of the non-Muppets stuck to the wall were really fakey-looking, as if they'd been Photoshopped in. Ouch.

* Some of the Bobby Benson's Baby Band puppets are looking the worse for wear. Are those puppets really old, or were they made to look that rough?

* I think Walter's role was just right. Prominent, but not upstaging the main characters. However, that said, Rizzo's remark and Robin's cameo made me giggle audibly. (I don't LOL.)

* Miss Poogy in the gulag? Thank you. I also liked seeing Big Mean Carl there.

* I want to see the full version of Moves Like Jagger. Three seconds of Scooter's adorkability ain't enough.

* Is it my imagination, or wasn't it a big news item that Annie Sue would be returning on the arm of Louise Gold, and that she was to be an obsessed fan and/or rival for Miss Piggy? Seems I did, and I remember being nonplussed by the joyous backflips people were turning. I never cared for the character. I saw the puppet, but it looks like her part was removed in the Third Drafting.

* I loved the Spanish theme, which matched the TV opening so very well. That put me in a happy spot. It wouldn't have played well in the movie, but I would love to see as a DVD extra some other international themes. Muppets in lederhosen!

* Sam was intelligent and effectual. What?! I'm not used to this! I guess Sam can get something done if he actually has something to do besides act more patriotic than thou.

* Constantine. Wow. I love his face. The puppet may be nearly identical to Kermit, but the expressions make him into a completely different character. And he is a truly magnificent child of unmarried parents. Bravo.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
BTW: Who was the monster critter in the orchestra during the Berlin show? Was that the Yellow Alien from "Hugga Wugga"?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
BTW: Who was the monster critter in the orchestra during the Berlin show? Was that the Yellow Alien from "Hugga Wugga"?

There was no monster in the orchestra. You might be referring to Sweetums, who was dressed as a woman while dancing with Christoph Waltz. The Yellow Hugga Wugga creature appeared during "I'll Get You What You Want".