Speculation: Sesame Street 45th Anniversary Possibilities

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's not going to happen. If they didn't do it since the inception of Sprout, they won't do it now.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Like i said i would rather just have Volume sets. I wouldn't mind Sesame Workshop doing another said clip thing and do it with episodes where everyone could vote what episodes they would love to see on a Old School set. That would be awesome. Then we could get certain sets of episodes we the fans or the viewers.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Like what about another Old School but with it being 1969-1974 Vol. 2. Then you could have other episodes in that volume other then the ones in the first volume.

One thing I often wonder, if something like this were to be done: Would/should they include one episode from each represented season, or skip at least one season and include multiple episodes from one of those seasons?

Season three has a number of really notable episodes (Linda moving to Sesame Street, Luis and Rafael opening the Fix-It Shop), plus a few episodes I want to see, in part because I want to know how they end (like when Oscar had to wait for Tough Eddie to come back to tell him something, or when Big Bird was blackmailed by Bad Barney... And I want to know what Bad Barney looks like). Not to mention some intriguing season two episodes (like one where Gordon, Mr. Hooper, and Bob have to figure out which one of them owns the garage).

In the last few years, there have been a number of single-disc releases containing two full-hour episodes. I'd like to see them do that for some of the older episodes (if they can't do multi-disc "old school" collections). I'd even like to see them do that for some of the '90s episodes.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Hey guys...I've been thinking a lot lately about our 45th anniversary ideas. Now, as much as it hurts me to say this (and please DO NOT bag on me), I kind of doubt that there's gonna be a 45th anniversary celebration. I mean, if it were to happen, wouldn't there be at least one product released in late 2013? Look how for the 35th anniversary, "Songs from the Street" was released in Fall 2003, for the 40th anniversary, "Street Gang was released in December 2008, for the 30th anniversary, Elmopalooza aired in February 1998, "Sesame Street: 25 Wonderful Years" was released in October 1993 (then again, it was several weeks before Season 25 started).

Now, I know Sesame Workshop has a lot on their plate right now, and probably aren't too worried about upcoming anniversaries, but this is all just a thought that randomly popped into my mind.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Wow, just a couple days ago I started wondering if the 45th anniversary would not get celebrated after all (since 1989 they've celebrated an anniversary every five years) and actually felt a little okay with it. And now I know that there'll be at least one anniversary item.

I mean, if it were to happen, wouldn't there be at least one product released in late 2013? Look how for the 35th anniversary, "Songs from the Street" was released in Fall 2003, for the 40th anniversary, "Street Gang was released in December 2008, for the 30th anniversary, Elmopalooza aired in February 1998, "Sesame Street: 25 Wonderful Years" was released in October 1993 (then again, it was several weeks before Season 25 started).
That's not always the case. Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting was broadcast in April 1989 (near the end of the 2oth season), and Stars and Street Forever was broadcast in April or May 1994 (near the end of the 25th season). And the 40th anniversary DVD and book were both released close to the 40th season (the DVD set was released on the day of the 40th season premiere, which also happened to be exactly the 40th birthday for the shows premier).

And I don't think Street Gang was actually an anniversary book, though I thought I saw it promoted as such. The packaging doesn't have any 40th anniversary logos, the description in the back doesn't say anything about the anniversary... In the book itself, the only time the anniversary was mentioned was briefly in the last chapter (or was it the epilogue?). It seemed more like a general non-fiction book on the history of the show.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
That's not always the case. Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting was broadcast in April 1989 (near the end of the 2oth season), and Stars and Street Forever was broadcast in April or May 1994 (near the end of the 25th season). And the 40th anniversary DVD and book were both released close to the 40th season (the DVD set was released on the day of the 40th season premiere, which also happened to be exactly the 40th birthday for the shows premier).

And I don't think Street Gang was actually an anniversary book, though I thought I saw it promoted as such. The packaging doesn't have any 40th anniversary logos, the description in the back doesn't say anything about the anniversary... In the book itself, the only time the anniversary was mentioned was briefly in the last chapter (or was it the epilogue?). It seemed more like a general non-fiction book on the history of the show.
I see what you're saying. But it seems like usually they release at least 1 product before the season starts. That's how I see it at least.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing that would be cool for the anniversary would be if PBS or Sprout would show a classic clip between programming. Maybe something under two minutes.

Of course, if classic clips were shown between programming, I guess they'd be some of the best-known classic clips. Stuff like Rubber Duckie, C is for Cookie, I Just Adore Four, Bert's Bust, Kermit and Joey Sing the Alphabet, the original What's the Name of That Song?... But if there were showings of one classic clip between each program, I wonder if they would show clips without any recurring Muppets, or any animation or film inserts, or any non-Muppet clips with the humans. I also wonder if they would include any really obscure early clips, such as clips with early versions of Big Bird, Oscar, Grover, and Snuffy, or Matt Robinson or Hal Miller as Gordon.

And for something like this, I can think of a way to work around the full frame issue: Put in a special "border" over the clip, perhaps put in a 45th anniversary logo on top and maybe include a fact track below the clip.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really hope there's some sort of surprise out there for collectors or something. Seems like an awful waste to not get anything except a sound gimmicky book that only 3 year olds would like. As if they care how old the show is.

Kinda wish Hasbro would release some older characters in the buddy packs at least.