Another Muppetlab Replica :-)

ashkent

Reaction score
I would love to get into building replicas. What is the average cost to build one?

It really depends on the replica. Kermit I suppose will be cheapest as he is literally just the antron fleece and a few bits of felt/eyes mouth plate. When i did Fozzie the materials all in (considering I'm in the UK so was stung on importing it) cost about £60-£70 tops. Alternatively, Elmo was around £50, Floyd around £50-60 and the new Animal has cost around £80.

The one rule i would say is Antron or Fur only is cheapest, anything with Ostrich feathers, lots of accessories or clothing is going to be more.

Derek Thompson

Reaction score
Okay so this is the Mongolian faux fur in Butterscotch I found. I got a swatch to show you all and get your opinions. What do you think? I know your going off the same thing I did which is a pic but the pile is good and long and I think it will look brilliant when it is boiled and trimmed in all the right places. In some lights it looks darker than Fozzie but to me in Person it feels really good. Not gold but not fawn. it has that slight orange tone to it without being orange. Let me know your thoughts. The lady didnt have much left so I put in a request for an invoice. I haven't bought it yet because i value all of your feedback but I think it is really close.

Derek Thompson

Reaction score
Okay so this is the Mongolian faux fur in Butterscotch I found. I got a swatch to show you all and get your opinions. What do you think? I know your going off the same thing I did which is a pic but the pile is good and long and I think it will look brilliant when it is boiled and trimmed in all the right places. In some lights it looks darker than Fozzie but to me in Person it feels really good. Not gold but not fawn. it has that slight orange tone to it without being orange. Let me know your thoughts. The lady didnt have much left so I put in a request for an invoice. I haven't bought it yet because i value all of your feedback but I think it is really close.

Okay, so I just uploaded this then I held the swatch up to the screen and they look like completely different colors. the swatch in my hand definitely is darker and rich in color but it photographed much lighter. I held my swatch up to the pantone color square on line and it looked pretty close. Oh well. Still would love your impressions.

Derek Thompson

Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and got my fur for Fozzie. I think it will be a really good match and since No one said " Wait, Stop!!! Your making a Horrible mistake!!!" I felt confident that this will work just fine. I will start a thread as i get some progress on him. Oh and thanks to Muppetlab and the others on this thread for the advice of how much to get. I ordered 2 and 1/2 yards. Next thing would be to get the pattern and start blowing up my reference based on the mouth plate measurements taken from the original one on the other Fozzie replica Thread. You guys have such a wonderful resource here. Thank you again. I am having so much fun.

Derek Thompson

Reaction score
Okay, which pattern is the better one to start with? Borsa or Punto? Or a combo of Both? I think form what I have seen that Fozzie has arms that come down and then have live hand in the ends so maybe i should figure that part out for myself. But what about the head? Someone here said Punto was good for the head. let me know what you all think. DT

Muppetlab

Reaction score
Ive heard a lot of peiple starting with the punto.. Which gives passable results. I used a mix of the pinhead and the roly.. One ontop of the other then tweaked a bit to fill it out.

Derek Thompson

Reaction score
Thank you Muppetlab for the advice. I figure what ever i use wil have to be a launching point only. I figure the scaled up reference will be my biggest guide. Oh, and I got my fur and I am really happy with it. I will have to boil it but that leads to another question. Do i trim it first and then boil it or Visa versa? I would imagine that i would boil the fur before assembly then trim it as needed but it also makes sense to trim it when it isnt all matted up. what are your thoughts on this.

Animal31

Reaction score
Personally, I get it sewn up and trimmed before I treat it. To do it afterwards, I always thought the ends looked flat and cut, this ways the tips of the trimmed fur will have the nice ends as well. Plus, it tends to tighten up more when its shorter.