Simpsons house and town layout distortion

muppetperson

Reaction score
We see in every episode where Homer is standing in the garage and then Marge's car comes in and Homer gets pushed to the back and smashes through the door and lands in the lounge room. I didn't think much about it, until I started putting together my Lego Simpsons house and noticed the door isn't at the back of the garage, but on the left hand side. Then I started thinking that when people walk into the house, they turn left to go to the lounge room, which makes it on the far left of the house, so the garage should be on the other side. If the door was correct, then Homer would be going into the back yard instead of the lounge room! Then I started thinking about the whole Springfield town and realised that it doesn't have any set layout (despite being mapped out in some books) such as variations on what is on the right hand side of the Simpson's house, across the street and shops next to Moe's and also the location of the Power plant. one episode it was right next to the Simpson house after Homer took a long time to get to work. Ah, the magic of Television.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I once tried to figure out the Mallard house in Darkwing Duck. From the inside, the living room is turned one way, and from the outside it's the other way. And I think the kitchen was in the backyard, at least according to the floor plan.

muppetperson

Reaction score
The Brady Bunch house is around the other way, too, from how it looks from the street.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This is exactly what I was talking about a while back, interior sets don't match exteriors, and they drive me crazy.

SEINFELD is probably one of the worst offenders... not only is the shape and layout of Jerry's apartment not even plausible, but the Costanzas' condo makes no sense: from the outside, they live in the unit on the left, but on the inside, the clearly live in the unit on the right. Also, the kitchen wouldn't be where it is, because that would be walking into the unit next door.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, that's the thing with The Simpsons. They only care about continuity as long as it doesn't get in the way of the jokes or the plot. They keep going back and forth on their wedding. Either they had a normal one, or they stick to the story that they were married at a quick marriage chapel. Personally, I wish they stuck to the "He ate the entire wedding cake... before the wedding" one, but that was a Treehouse of Horror story (never meant to be canon).

Then of course there's the thing that they can't control. And that's the fact the show's still on, the characters haven't aged, and Bart would have been born 20 years after the show started to be placed in current times. And that becomes somewhat of a thorn in the side when you have to reference past events in the series.

muppetperson

Reaction score
..........and what is with the Doctor's Tardis? It is much bigger inside than the external exterior !!!! Just joking.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed. I can just about map out the bottom of the Simpsons house, but the top level is just a mess. Homer and Marge's room is closer to the stairs and their window is left of the house, but I still can't figure out Lisa and Bart's rooms. I remember one episode when Bart abandoned his homework for a helicopter ride with Milhouse, the helicopter lands in front of the house where Bart's window is. But then in the video game Hit and Run, Bart's window is at the BACK of the house. A similar thing happens with Lisa's room too. One episode, her window is at the back, the next, it's at the front.

And I have no idea where Maggie's is!