Where's the love for Rocky and Bullwinkle?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Anyway, after watching several trailers, I give Ty nothing but credit for actually attempting the Mr. Peabody voice. I really love how he managed to be the second choice for both this and MMW and actually managed to be better than the already amazing actors that had to back down in their respective roles.

I didn't know he was Mr. Peabody. I thought he was one of the historical figures in this.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I have read & heard there is going to be a Rocky and Bullwinkle Short before the movie. They say if Peabody and Sherman does real good they'll make a Rocky & Bullwinkle CGI movie. I know i can't wait to see the movie and the short as well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As excited as I am about the movie, I'm actually much more excited about that short. If nothing else, I'd love to see a series of short Dreamworks owned Classic Media owned cartoons before every one of their movies. That's obviously not going to happen, though.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Then again, Jonah Hill has a similar problem. He actually wants more work in serious movies, like that MONEY BALL he did with Brad Pitt, but he keeps getting typecasted in these lowbrow comedy movies.

I guess that's karma for him creating Allen Gregory...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, Mr. Peabody and Sherman has been released. Anybody here see it? Was it good (well, I've read that it's gotten good reviews)?

Drtooth

Reaction score
First off, there was kind of a huge disappointment not so much regarding the movie as it is that it actually didn't have the Rocky and Bullwinkle short at the beginning. Instead it had something about aliens constantly trying to find another planet to live on because every one they picked blew up or something. Steve Martin was the voice of the Alien leader. It was a fun cartoon, but not the Bullwinkle short they reported. I hope it comes to DVD, is paired with HTTYD2 or at least gets released online.

As for the film, without spoiling too much, they did change a few things for dramatic effect to fit in a movie's story structure. But surprisingly not much. Sherman is more like a child, Peabody's relationship is much more of a parent then a reverse pet owner. They referenced the heck out of the first episode but changed Sherman to an abandoned baby and the WABAC machine is both an actual time machine (not the what if machine he converted it into) and it's far more technical (again, dramatic effect). But Peabody does still make awful puns after every adventure (during some even)... it lampshades it too.

There are a couple jokes I have to say were unfortunate choices (there's one that's a pretty nasty accidental double entandre). A couple unfortunate dated references... but nothing really detracting from the movie... or as bad as the villain falling into a pile of elephant crap like in George of the Jungle. But overall, the best Jay Ward cartoon based film there ever was, and not nearly as insulting as the New George of the Jungle cartoon. In terms of Jay Ward movies, I liked it a lot more than both GOTJ films (my favorite until now), but in terms of Dreamworks' films I liked it much better than The Croods (which I really enjoyed quite a bit), but not quite as much as Kung Fu Pandas 1+2 (my favorite). Probably as much as I liked Monsters VS Aliens. Which is quite a bit.

OH! And while they did credit Jay Ward for producing the series, they also credited the real creator, Ted Key.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yesterday I read the full summary at wikipedia (I still plan to see the movie, wouldn't be the first time I read the wikipedia summary before seeing the film) and there are a number of interesting things I was surprised by or didn't really think about. I guess TV Tropes will have another"designated villain"/"sir not appearing in this trailer" entry (in addition to others).

When I watched the trailers, I was confused about the girl character. We don't know who she is, but Mr. Peabody had her parents over and needed Sherman to keep her company, even though she hates him. I kept thinking, who are these characters? Does Sherman have a crush on her or something? Are they knew neighbors? Reading the description, it makes sense now, but I wouldn't have guessed that. Was anybody else wondering what I was wondering?

Something just hit me yesterday: The Wabac machine seems to be the only invention that Mr. Peabody invented. I wonder what would have happened if Mr. Peabody had invented more gadgets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yesterday I read the full summary at wikipedia (I still plan to see the movie, wouldn't be the first time I read the wikipedia summary before seeing the film) and there are a number of interesting things I was surprised by or didn't really think about. I guess TV Tropes will have another"designated villain"/"sir not appearing in this trailer" entry (in addition to others).

I'm not trying to spoil anything, but said "designated villain" is pretty villainous. To compare her to, eh, Miss Finch from FTB, the Child Protective services lady is pretty nasty and vindictive. She almost gets delight out of what she has to do. She is far from concerned about Sherman's safety and almost has a vendetta against Peabody (though they never directly say anything).

Oh, and interesting side note. While there is a lack of Peabody and Sherman merchandising, they do have a picture book adaption (of roughly the first 10 minutes of the film). But what's more interesting is that the back cover advertised more books... standard kiddy fair. 2 Coloring books and a junior novelization... and a reprinting of the 1960's Bullwinkle Little Golden Book. Now, I have one of the earlier reprints of that one that I got at a yard sale several years back. And Mr. Peabody is in it for some reason. That's unfortunately the only classic Bullwinkle merchandise I've found so far.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm not trying to spoil anything, but said "designated villain" is pretty villainous. To compare her to, eh, Miss Finch from FTB, the Child Protective services lady is pretty nasty and vindictive. She almost gets delight out of what she has to do. She is far from concerned about Sherman's safety and almost has a vendetta against Peabody (though they never directly say anything).

I guess I must have missed that when reading the summary.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Miss Finch was guided by her duty to put Big Bird in a foster home. Ms. Gruinion was far more militant and nasty. All I can say without ruining the movie.