Creepiest Muppet Moment

Drtooth

Reaction score
For me it's the creepy HUGGA WUGGA. For those of you who have seen the 'What sketches scared you' thread under 'Classic Sesame Street', you know THE creepiest part are Hugga's eyes. I was so afraid that I haven't seen a picture recently until I read the Muppet Wiki article and saw the giant muppet monsters freaky eyes and shivered!
I say Hugga Wugga is child's play compared with Scrlap Fyapp. Much MUCH creepier.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I vote funny. Again it seems things so many others found creepy, i loved! ("Peachy.")

I still contend that the nipples line in MWOO wasn't that bad. But Pepe's huge reaction overkilled it. If it was just a quick throwaway line from Gonzo and just went right on to a character's next line, it would have worked better and not so many people would have been disturbed by it.
I've always thought that nipple line was funny and brought a natural edge back to the Muppet Show characters. For too long they've been trapped in this Sesame Street ideal rather than their true experimental form for older viewers. The line is said to have been an improv from Goelz and not something scripted or trying too hard. It's nipples people! Nipples are funny and they're not an offensive body part. I get that humor is different, but will never understand what led people to take such great offense to that off-the-cuff remark in Oz.

There seems to be a lack of direction is Oz for whatever reason. That kind of creeped me out. The Muppets seem truly lost in that story overall. I sometimes wonder how that happens with all the thought that goes into storyboarding and set building. What about the story?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I see what you're getting at, and the more I think about it, I agree with whoever said it... it isn't so much the joke, as the musical sting and Pepe's overreaction to it that really made it unsettling. It really seems like something off the cuff that really wouldn't have made it into the final cut. Like they were just messing around trying to make the funniest of a decidedly bad script. The fact that they left it in there as a jaded attempt to be adult (trying TOO hard to do the same stuff that actually worked in VMX, but fell flat here).

Of course, I thought the joke was REALLY funny initially when it was shown briefly as a clip on AFV... but in the context of the movie, it just seemed... well, like it came at the wrong time to make that joke.

We could turn this into a "Why MupOz sucks" thread, but I really think it had an unsettling look throughout. Alkmost like someone was trying to be Tim Burton-esque and 1960's Batman at the same time, and it just made the movie look dark, sinister, and forced... even the bright sunny parts felt unsettling.

analeisa

Reaction score
When I was really small, Animal getting into Busen's growth pills and becoming giant size in The Muppet Movie creeped me out. The whole scene just overwhemled me.

That said, now I get creeped out by the Kermit-less world in Verry Merry Muppet Christmas. It's really umfortable to watch characters you love reduced to such pathetic levels. As for the "those are my nippels" gag in Oz, it never creeped me out. I think it's an okay joke that feels off in context of the movie. *shrug*

CountFan1998

Reaction score
I say Hugga Wugga is child's play compared with Scrlap Fyapp. Much MUCH creepier.
What do you mean? The photos on the Muppet Wiki page aren't creepy. Are you talking about another time they performed it?
I mean 'Business Business' is creepy on some shows, but on other shows it's not. Like Hugga appearing in 'Somebody Come and Play' on one show, and Sweetums appearing in another version. See? But seriously Hugga in a Sesame Street song? Aggresive parenting groups would be FURIATED. I can imagine a parent watching that, thinking how scary that is for a two-year old, then finally cracking. They'd yell "OK, NO MORE TELEVISON. YOU KNOW WHAT? EVERYTHING IS BAD, SO NO MORE BLINKING, BREATHING, LIVING OR EXISTING! AAAAHHHHH!" Yeah. That would be sweet. Or not...

GREAT SCOTT, MARTY! 1.21 GIGAWATTS -Doc Brown
Am I weird, or is it you? Maybe it's you...

CountFan1998

Reaction score
Yeah, monsters never really scared me either. Old movies that popped and hissed scared me, and still scare me.
Ok, I understand. For me was old WAV. files that would end in popping and hissing. For so long I was afraid of the WAV file of the Road Runner theme!

Another thing I was afraid of was The Grinch. I mean his eyes, WHOA! When it used to air on Cartoon Network, and probably still does, when the Grinch peers over the snowy cliff before the sled takes off, just before commercial break, scared the heck out of me! Every time we watched it at our Christmas Eve party I'd run to the stairs and hide. I'm ok with it now, I can even impersonate Boris Karloff's line: All the noise, noise, noise!

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Blind Pew from Muppet Treasure Island used to make me hide under a blanket when I was younger. It was his entrance that scared me. On a Muppet Show tape I used to watch at someone else's house there was a Fraggle Rock commerical, and Junior grabbing Gobo in the theme song scared me bad.

piggyinmanhatte

Reaction score
Sweetums scared the beejeebers out of me when I was little...it was nice to grow up and realize he was a big softie.
Apparently my parents watched the Muppet Show so much, someone got them a Cookie Monster cookie jar for a wedding gift (which, 33 years later, they still use). That, as well as Cookie himself, also scared me when I was little. But, being the weird kid I was, I got some strange satisfaction out of decapitating him whenever I wanted a cookie (and thus rendering him incapable of harming me, haHA!)

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
When I was four-years-old, my mom bought me the "Rock Music With The Muppets" VHS tape. I was fine until Alice Cooper came on, then I started screaming and crying. I couldn't even TALK about the Muppets for a year after seeing that. It really scared me bad. I couldn't even say Alice Cooper's name, for that reason, I would always call him "The guy I don't like" or "The guy that scared me". I was freaked by the band as well, I couldn't say chopped liver for about a month. When I was 7, I saw the episode again and I realized how funny it actually was, :smile:.

CountFan1998

Reaction score
I say Hugga Wugga is child's play compared with Sclrap Fyapp. Much MUCH creepier.
Having seen Sclrap Flyapp on YouTube, (finally!!!)
it's not all that scary, (I expected it to be a lot worse) but it's kind of unnerving when the music pauses and "SCLRAP FLYAPP" in that guttural voice fills the silence with those glowing eyes... I still have to say Hugga Wugga looks creepier, but Sclrap Flyapp sounds as creepy as its later incarnation on TMS.