Remembering John Henson

CBPuppets

Reaction score
It was a few minutes ago that I have heard this news! my deepest sympathy for the Henson Family!

Reevz1977

Reaction score
R.I.P John Henson :frown:

Here's hoping the Henson family's luck takes a turn for the better ASAP. My heart goes out to the family and friends of John during this difficult time.

rowlfy662

Reaction score
What a sad day for not only the Henson family but also us muppet fans. John Henson was such an inspiration to many and lets not forget he was Sweetums which must been quite a feat. RIP John Henson you will always be in our minds and most of all our hearts.

Rugby

Reaction score
So sad. It bothers me how easily people can just drop dead while doing one of the simplest pleasures in life with family. Feel bad for the kids, who will now be traumatized forever. I'm getting to be that age and worry about this happening to me and leaving my kids without a father.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
So sad. It bothers me how easily people can just drop dead while doing one of the simplest pleasures in life with family. Feel bad for the kids, who will now be traumatized forever. I'm getting to be that age and worry about this happening to me and leaving my kids without a father.

I'm with you on that, but death as a whole scares the crap out of me to no end. I never want to die.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Sorry for the double posting but I feel this needs to be shared. It's from the Jim Henson Company's Facebook page.

John Henson (March 25, 1965 – February 14, 2014)

John Henson was born in Greenwich Connecticut to his parents, Jim and Jane Henson. At seven years old, he and his family moved to Bedford NY, where they lived through John’s childhood years.

At sixteen, John, with his friend, John Kahn, bought an old school house in Saugerties, New York. Kahn then trained Henson in the arts of home building, furniture design, and sculpture. These disciplines would become John Henson’s life work.

Throughout his adult life, John worked with his family’s business, The Jim Henson Company, as an accomplished puppeteer. He performed the character Sweetums from 1992 until 2003, and worked as a full-body performer inside of creatures such as the Coca Cola polar bear, among others. After Jim Henson’s death in 1990, John became a shareholder and active board member in the company, and stayed involved in The Jim Henson Company until his death.

His main life passion always returned him to his projects in Saugerties, New York. He became a master in three-dimensional spatial design. His many homes and buildings in Saugerties reflect his unique design aesthetic and his extraordinary attention to detail. Each of his buildings is an art project, an immersive experience balancing function with artistic expression. His exterior, and fine interior work, utilizing a wide range of materials; from wood, to metal, to stone, created rooms of exquisite embracing craftsmanship. At the time of his death, John Henson had owned and extensively developed many properties in Saugerties, New York.

In 1996, John met the love of his life, Gyongyi Katona, and in 1999 they gave birth to their first daughter, Katrina. Their second daughter, Sydney, was born in 2003. John was a loving, playful, and dedicated father, and was very involved in all aspects of his girls’ lives.

John’s family commented, “John had the deepest soul of any man alive; sensitive, artistic, and extremely compassionate, there was no limit to his love.”

A close friend of the family, Arthur Novell described John as, “a most remarkably kind and generous man who gave so much and asked for so little. He infused us with the light of his inquisitive mind, the spirit of his keen intellect and the genius of his talent to create. John will forever be remembered and cherished and talked about and somewhere in the Universe he will be rejoiced.”

John Henson is survived by his wife Gyongyi Henson, and his two daughters, Katrina (15 years) and Sydney (10 years), as well as his siblings, Lisa, Cheryl, Brian, and Heather.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
John Henson's sudden death caught me by surprise, this is incredibly sad for the Henson family, as well as the entire extended Muppet family. I don't think anyone was expecting this.

While he wasn't one of the main front runners in the Muppets, he still played an important part in the entire Muppet franchise. I decided to write a tribute dedicated to him earlier today.
http://mickeymindset.blogspot.ca/2014/02/john-henson-1965-2014.html

I wonder if there would be enough time to put "In Loving Memory to John Henson" on Muppets Most Wanted?

I wouldn't bet on it. We'd be very lucky if they would dedicate it to Jane and Jerry, that would be a very nice tribute to them, but now that the film is opening in just a few weeks, I doubt Disney is going to pull the movie back just to dedicate it to John. It's too bad though.

cjd874

Reaction score
Very sad and unexpected news. There are so many beloved Henson associates who left us far too soon: Joe Raposo, Richard Hunt, and now John Henson. But it gives me comfort to know that he is reunited with his parents, Richard, Joe, Jerry Nelson, Jerry Juhl, Don Sahlin, and Jon Stone. My condolences and prayers go out to the Henson family and company. RIP John Henson.