RIP John Henson

Dearth

Reaction score
I looked but didn't see any existing items about this. Mods, feel free to delete or move if necessary.

I was on Facebook earlier and saw a post by Ibex Puppetry that John Henson had passed away yesterday. I did a Google search and found this article:

http://www.examiner.com/article/john-henson-muppets-puppeteer-and-son-of-jim-henson-dies-at-48

"John Henson, son of the lateMuppetscreator Jim Henson, died Feb. 14 after experiencing a sudden heart attack in Saugerties, N.Y. He was 48.

The Jim Henson Company announced Henson’s death on its official Facebook page today:
“It is with great sadness that we confirm that John Henson, son of Jim and Jane Henson and brother to Lisa, Cheryl, Brian and Heather, died at age 48 of a sudden massive heart attack on Friday, February 14, while at home with his daughter. John served as a shareholder and board member of The Jim Henson Company. He leaves two daughters, Katrina (15) and Sydney (10) and his wife Gyongyi. A private service is being planned.”
The youngest son of puppeteers Jim and Jane Henson, both deceased, John Henson was a shareholder and board member of The Jim Henson Company.
Henson was also active in the creative side of the business. The puppeteer and craftsman was best known to Muppet fans for performing as Sweetums, the ferociously sweet, full-sized ogre. Henson lent his voice, body and heart to Sweetums from the 1980s through 2005’s “The Muppets’ Wizard of Oz.” Henson also performs as Sweetums in “Muppet Treasure Island,” “It’s a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie,” and several shorts and specials.
As Muppet Wiki notes, Henson took over the body-suit puppetry of Sweetums from Richard Hunt in the late 1980s. Henson then started providing character’s voice in 1992 after Hunt passed away. (Sweetums is currently performed by Matt Vogel.)
Henson’s performance as Sweetums can be seen in the film portion of Muppet*Vision 3D, a current attraction at both Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort. Henson’s physical performance complements the voice work of Hunt used for the attraction’s film."

So sad for the family as they face another loss, especially so soon after Jane's passing.

Alex

snichols1973

Reaction score
This is a sad loss for Muppet fans everywhere, and it occurred on Valentine's Day....

You will be missed, but not forgotten, and your spirit will live on in our memories.

R.I.P. John Henson (4/25/1965 - 2/14/2014) :cry:

I hope they can find time to insert a moment of tribute at the beginning or end of Muppets: Most Wanted....

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
I think there's already a thread for this in the Henson People section, the merger of which with this thread is at the administration's discretion.

My own feelings having lost my father when I was fifteen as well is something that I will always recall for the rawness of emotions at that time. There's a certain moment of "Wha?" when reading that a heart attack being the cause of death on Valentine's Day. All I can say is that I hope John's remaining family can find that sunny day once again soon. :grr: :grr: :grr:

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Apparently, he suffered the heart attack after building a snowman with his child. Just awful.

ErnieBertGonzo

Reaction score
Man, only mid-February and 2014's already been a really bad year for deaths of our beloved entertainers. In addition to John, we've lost Philip Seymour Hoffman, Shirley Temple, Sid Caesar, Ralph Waite, Russell Johnson and plenty of other notables.

R.I.P. John. Yet another one-of-a-kind talent taken too soon.

MuppetGuy75

Reaction score
I just discovered this while on Facebook. Horrible news to hear. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Henson family. RIP John

Minstrel Mayhem

Reaction score
This really saddened me. I only finished Jim Henson's biography the other day, learning a lot about the Henson family. I really feel for his family.

MsMuppet

Reaction score
Just heartbreaking. Saw the FB post yesterday. Bad enough that he passed at such a young age let alone to be home alone with his daughter. :frown:

Sending lots of love to Henson family.