The Muppets Character Encyclopedia coming Feb. 7 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Well, first of all- I didn't realize it cost $12 when I posted that. Also, I just don't have money to spend on everything I might like- and I'm also a big fan of libraries so I'm happy to support the public library. Why pay money for something if I can read it for free? [in a legal fashion, of course.]:fanatic:

So many fans complain about the lack of Muppet products and then don't buy the ones that come out, particularly the inexpensive ones like this. Besides, this encyclopedia is more of a keepsake than a rental. I guess each fan makes a choice where their fan dollar goes. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
So many fans complain about the lack of Muppet products and then don't buy the ones that come out, particularly the inexpensive ones like this. Besides, this encyclopedia is more of a keepsake than a rental. I guess each fan makes a choice where their fan dollar goes. :wink:
Barring ones like me who only can buy these things when they have rare times when they have actually have money, I see what you're saying. I swear there are those who are absolutely convinced that if it's nothing on the level of Palisades action figure quality, it's not worth their time, refuse to buy them, and wonder why there isn't more of stuff they wouldn't want to buy anyway.

This seems like it's going to be another in a long line of wonderful Muppet Coffee Table books to sit right there with the Sesame Street 40th anniversary book, Unpaved, and Jim Henson's The Works. Something that demands to be purchased and just won't fit at home in a shelf, with only the spine in view. Something that needs to be out on a table 24/7 because you won't be even able to put it away, much less down. Even if it has errors (it will... they always do, and they're easily overlooked) and doesn't have all the characters you want.

But I wonder... is 12 bucks the real price? Seems like this would make a better hardcover, but a smaller price tag is always welcome.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Barring ones like me who only can buy these things when they have rare times when they have actually have money, I see what you're saying. I swear there are those who are absolutely convinced that if it's nothing on the level of Palisades action figure quality, it's not worth their time, refuse to buy them, and wonder why there isn't more of stuff they wouldn't want to buy anyway.

This seems like it's going to be another in a long line of wonderful Muppet Coffee Table books to sit right there with the Sesame Street 40th anniversary book, Unpaved, and Jim Henson's The Works. Something that demands to be purchased and just won't fit at home in a shelf, with only the spine in view. Something that needs to be out on a table 24/7 because you won't be even able to put it away, much less down. Even if it has errors (it will... they always do, and they're easily overlooked) and doesn't have all the characters you want.

But I wonder... is 12 bucks the real price? Seems like this would make a better hardcover, but a smaller price tag is always welcome.

It's probably soft cover, but I'll take either.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I don't. I'm usually the one complaining about too many products available for a particular fandom and I just don't have the money to keep up with it all- lol. (Well, I try not to really complain actually- but I do have to be selective in what all I can afford and want to spend money on.) And for a book that I would probably read through at least once and then only flip through at times then on out- to me, I don't see the need to buy it. (I have limited funds and need to use my paycheck to put in my tithe, to pay bills, pay off student loans, etc.) I usually have little left over for pleasure items.
All that said though- I get what you're saying about not buying [particularly cheaper] items to support the Muppets and then being surprised that more Muppet products aren't available. That's how business works- and no business is going to keep producing products if they don't think the market for it is there and if they aren't meeting the sales figures they need.
If the paperback is indeed only $12, I might will keep this book in mind as one to pick up down the road. Or if someone wanted to get it for me as a present, that's always a good option too.:smile:

BIGMuppetFan

Reaction score
First off, I can't wait for this Book!!! It sounds great, We will probably all have something to comment on when this book is released but for now lets try and keep and open mind. If you read the bottom of the cover is says "From Animal to Zoot" So maybe which I am totally hoping for Electric Mayhem is not grouped together. If watching recent Muppet specials and web videos is any indication of whats to come, we might actually see pages in this book for Pops, Beauregard, Lew Zealand, and lips.

I was thinking and just a thought here, if they ever release Muppet Show Seasons 4 and 5 on DVD they could do a Muppet show Complete Collection that also includes this book. That way whoever is watching the show could look at the book and read about these characters. I know they probably won't learn everything if much on some characters but just the basic the book should cover.

But All is wishful thinking I just want Seasons 4 and 5 out on DVD!!

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
With a show like The Muppet Show, you really do need a character guide like this book so you can keep up with who's who- and which Muppets have been used for more than one character, etc. (I want to see listings for the obscure characters like Gaffer and Brewster, etc.) Hopefully it will be pretty comprehensive- but it seems you can never quite include every character. This may have already been covered, but what Muppets exactly are covered here? Are we talking strictly "The Muppet Show"? (That alone has a huge cast that could be mentioned, especially if we count one-shot appearances.) Can I presume "Muppets Tonight" would at least be included? "Fraggle Rock"? "The Jim Henson Hour"? "The Ghost of Faffner Hall"? "The Secret Life of Toys"? "The Animal Show"? "Mopatop's Shop"? "The Hoobs"? "Bear in the Big Blue House"? "Dinosaurs"? "Dinosaur Train"? "Sid, the Science Kid"? (What about animated shows like "Muppet Babies" and "Little Muppet Monsters"? And characters from specials?) I suppose "Sesame Street" is probably not covered since they are owned by Sesame Workshop......

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So, when I saw Disney's name on this book, the first thing I did was roll my eyes and think to myself, "Oh, gee, what else is new?".

THEN, when I REALIZED Disney's name is on this book, I've come to the conclusion, that this is going to be exclusive to just TMS Muppets... which isn't a bad thing at all, however, I was in the boat that was hoping this Muppets Character Encyclopedia would also include SST Muppets, Fraggles, maybe even the Creature Shop creations, among others... but that would be a VERY expensive book to put together.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
So, when I saw Disney's name on this book, the first thing I did was roll my eyes and think to myself, "Oh, gee, what else is new?".

THEN, when I REALIZED Disney's name is on this book, I've come to the conclusion, that this is going to be exclusive to just TMS Muppets... which isn't a bad thing at all, however, I was in the boat that was hoping this Muppets Character Encyclopedia would also include SST Muppets, Fraggles, maybe even the Creature Shop creations, among others... but that would be a VERY expensive book to put together.
Yeah, and not to mention all the legal rights! :sigh:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
True, that IS one frustrating thing about the world of Henson in that different entities belonging to different studios and companies.

Yorick

Reaction score
Yes, the Disney logo on everything that says Muppets (whether they must legally or not) is not cool.

While I won't expect Sesame Muppets or Fraggles characters in this Encyclopedia, and certainly not any other Henson Worlds, (as cool as it would be, I agree!) I personally feel that it should still have all characters from Sam & Friends, The Muppet Show, Little Muppet Monsters, MuppeTelevision, and Muppets Tonight to be anywhere near completion. And even then, I know that still leaves a lot of characters out...but at least it's a start. Again, I know that legally there may even be problems including some characters from shows I mentioned, but I was speaking more of how they might be grouped from an artistic point of view, not a money point of view :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.