The Garfield Show - pleasantly surprised

Xerus

Reaction score
ME: The character's name is Dr. Whipple and, yes, that's Freberg. You'll hear him popping up from time to time in the second season playing other roles and also Dr. Whipple again. We recorded one episode where I had June Foray playing Dr. Whipple's wife. It was great to get the two of them working together again.

I have no idea when, by the way, the second season will begin airing. We're still writing 'em and recording voice tracks.
Oops, sorry about misspelling Dr. Whipple's name and thank you for answering my question. And I think I heard Stan Freberg voicing one of the audience members in that same episode I mentioned, he had a Pete Puma sounding voice.

And I read somewhere that June Foray was supposed to do a voice. I think it's great how you can get veteran voice artists to do voices for shows like Garfield and Friends, Mother Goose and Grimm, and the Garfield Show.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Garfield and Friends will probably always be my favorite animated version of Garfield (along with his specials), but I have also been enjoying this CGI version of Garfield. So nice to see a cartoon on Cartoon Network that I actually want to watch.:smile:

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I have seen a few episodes. Frank Welker does a good Job Voicing Garfield.

dmoss

Reaction score
I haven't really given this incarnation of Garfield a chance yet, as I never thought anything could live up to the original "Garfield and Friends" and the Barnyard stories. Even now, it seems odd that the show's on Cartoon Network, as it's ill-promoted and placed ay strange times during the day. I've not seen the copyright date, but I'd imagine that it's not too-too recent.

Looks like a fun show, though! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Even now, it seems odd that the show's on Cartoon Network, as it's ill-promoted and placed ay strange times during the day. I've not seen the copyright date, but I'd imagine that it's not too-too recent.
Ah, well, at least we know that Cartoon network is still being cartoon network. Glad to see the thousands upon thousands of people who are annoyed by their idiotic mismanagement still haven't had their voices heard.

And the fact that it's none too recent is due in part to the fact we're living in these wonderful times where every other country in the world gets AMERICAN cartoons before America. It's a rant I've been getting on since 2007, but SOMETHING has to be done about children's TV. Something has to.

dmoss

Reaction score
And the fact that it's none too recent is due in part to the fact we're living in these wonderful times where every other country in the world gets AMERICAN cartoons before America.
Isn't that wild? It's actually the first I've heard of it, but you would think it could be aired in more than one location (worldwide, obviously) at a time...I wonder the logic is behind it?

Are there more shows that I don't know about that aired elsewhere before here? :search:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Isn't that wild? It's actually the first I've heard of it, but you would think it could be aired in more than one location (worldwide, obviously) at a time...I wonder the logic is behind it?

Are there more shows that I don't know about that aired elsewhere before here? :search:
I could tell you so much, but I'd rather just give you the skinny. Due to various unfortunate and frustrating factors (various rulings by the FCC in the 90's basically made to let single companies own more and more media outlets- which also killed competition- that let Kid's programming to eventually turn unprofitable, and the rise of live action kid-coms) we were left with only so many outlets for children's television. That leads to less and less interest for certain shows in this country, while other still have multiple outlets. As it stands, only CN, Nicktoons, Nick, Boomerang, and Disney XD run animated children's programming... and 3 of those are premiums. And they ALL want to get out of animation as well, especially CN.

Saturday Mornings are ONLY 4Kid's reruns (and they lost Ninja Turtles in a buyout by Nickelodeon) and the three major networks running FCC TV E/I lip service. There is NO more weekday animation, the cable networks want to milk the live action fad (and run old movies) and have no interest in airing cartoons... so basically, there's no where for that stuff to go. And no one's doing anything about it. And this is just howling at the moon.

Yorick

Reaction score
The Garfield Show is a lot of fun, and I wish it had been in prime time on Cartoon Network so that it could have had a bigger fan base (I feel the same about Pink Panther & Pals - I find both of these shows to be far superior to the current popular CN shows).

The show was very easy to appreciate once I got used to Jon often behaving less intelligent, and (as I said earlier in this thread) Nermal sometimes having a mean streak and ego in this version, as opposed to before, where Nermal always knew he was cute, but wasn't mean towards Garfield. (It didn't take long at all to accept the changes I mentioned, by the way! And I like the show just as it is!)

And I appreciate: Mr. E talking to us here, all the great original voice actors they got back for The Garfield Show, as well as them getting the legendary Ms. Foray and Mr. Freberg onboard. Thank you all who were involved! Glad to hear you had as much of a blast making it as we did watching it!