You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In the Child's Play movies, Chuckie has to transform into a human body soon or else be trapped inside the Good Guy doll forever (even though he always manages to be able to transform into a body after being brought back to life). I can see him maybe not wanting to be a doll forever, but would becoming human again really be helpful? If he doesn't like the body of the person he becomes can he switch into another human body?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
What's the deal with Netflix offering both online streaming and DVD rentals? With online streaming, you don't really need DVD rentals, especially since you'd have to wait for them to come in the mail. I can't believe people preferred waiting for a DVD over going to a physical video store to rent. But with online streaming, you can watch your programs right away. I know that some programs are only available on Netflix via DVD rentals, and I don't know what's up with that, either.

robodog

Reaction score
In the Child's Play movies, Chuckie has to transform into a human body soon or else be trapped inside the Good Guy doll forever (even though he always manages to be able to transform into a body after being brought back to life). I can see him maybe not wanting to be a doll forever, but would becoming human again really be helpful? If he doesn't like the body of the person he becomes can he switch into another human body?
Chucky's a serial killer. It's a lot easier to kill people in a human body rather than a two foot doll that most people could just punt like a football. But in Seed Of Chucky, Chucky decided he didn't want to be human again afterall and chose to remain a doll.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why does it seem like if you want to actually do something with yourself, you have to live in either New York or California?

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Why does it seem like if you want to actually do something with yourself, you have to live in either New York or California?
Because that's where most of the media is based, so they're going to make themselves look more important.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yet, it is also nigh on impossible to get jobs there because that's where everyone goes.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hmm. I've heard a couple of rumors that Dolly Parton is trying to lure more television production down to Tennessee... if that ever works out, I'd be psyched, 'cause then, it'd be a lot easier for me to try and stay put... but say, Tarantino's from my hometown... maybe he could try to bring more film and television production down here as well.

But, on a different subject, with the media's obsession with everything widescreen now, it's gotten me to thinking (though I'm HOPING not to give out any ideas, I still don't particularly care for this whole widescreen trend myself): if EVERYTHING just HAS to be widescreen today (movies, TV shows, computers, etc.), then why are cameras (for taking pictures) still taking 4:3-shaped pictures (and videos in some cases)?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Opening acts... I mean, do we even really need 'em? They say the opening act is the act that warms the audience up... why, exactly, do we need to be warmed up? Are we getting ready for some intense exercize regimens or something? They also say that opening acts are there to get the audience excited for the main act... what, we're not already excited to see the main act? I mean, would I even be there in the first place if I wasn't excited about seeing the main act? If anything, the opening act does the exact opposite, I'm NOT warmed up, OR getting excited whenever the opening act is on stage... in fact, after the first two or three songs, I'm screaming in the back of my mind, "GET THE FROG OFF THE STAGE ALREADY! I DIDN'T PAY TO HEAR YOUR SONGS THAT NOBODY'S EVER HEARD OF OR ARE INTERESTED IT, I'M HERE FOR SO-AND-SO! BRING 'EM OUT ALREADY!"

I went to the Earth, Wind & Fire Now, Then & Forever concert last night, and for once, the show cut right to the chase, no opening acts or anything, they came out on time, and played the whole time, which was great... but everyone else I see, there's always that half-hour where some random guys come out and do their own thing and plug their CDs that they're selling in the lobby after the show... then there's another ten or fifteen minutes after their act before the main attraction FINALLY steps out. As much as I like Bob Newhart, I was disappointed when he came to town earlier this year: not only was there the inevitable opening act, but it's like Newhart's own act seemed really short and quick, and I left wanting more.

Really, the only time I ever really got interested/invested in an opening act was when I saw Jerry Seinfeld back in 2009, because Mark Schiff was the opening act, and I was like, "Mark Schiff? The guy who did the voice of Little Dog on 2 STUPID DOGS?!" And Schiff really does sound a lot like Little Dog... and his riffs were genuinely funny. That's only time I enjoyed an opening act, other than that, I say get rid of 'em.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Opening acts... I mean, do we even really need 'em? They say the opening act is the act that warms the audience up... why, exactly, do we need to be warmed up? Are we getting ready for some intense exercize regimens or something? They also say that opening acts are there to get the audience excited for the main act... what, we're not already excited to see the main act? I mean, would I even be there in the first place if I wasn't excited about seeing the main act? If anything, the opening act does the exact opposite, I'm NOT warmed up, OR getting excited whenever the opening act is on stage... in fact, after the first two or three songs, I'm screaming in the back of my mind, "GET THE FROG OFF THE STAGE ALREADY! I DIDN'T PAY TO HEAR YOUR SONGS THAT NOBODY'S EVER HEARD OF OR ARE INTERESTED IT, I'M HERE FOR SO-AND-SO! BRING 'EM OUT ALREADY!"
Hey, I'd like to be an opening act for a big performance. I feel opening acts could very well help unknown performers become known, especially if they are opening for a really big act. Then again, I do know of instances where opening acts went bad. I have a book on stand-up comedy where the author mentioned being the opening act for a rock concert which got delayed, and the audience got angry (according to the author, the audience "timed" their drugs, so when the performance begins late and there's a non-Rock opening act, the drugs take effect too early). And I've read of a time when Bob Newhart was an opening act and he finished his act before the main attraction was ready (so he asked the audience which routine they'd like to hear again). And of course there's the time Weird Al Yankovic was an opening act for Missing Persons, and the audience booed and through things at Al and the band during the whole performance.

D'Snowth said:
but everyone else I see, there's always that half-hour where some random guys come out and do their own thing and plug their CDs that they're selling in the lobby after the show... then there's another ten or fifteen minutes after their act before the main attraction FINALLY steps out.

Really? Opening acts are usually a half hour? I would have thought opening musical acts would be just a song or two, a comedian would just do one routine..... But then again, you've obviously seen more opening acts than I have.