Where's the love for Rocky and Bullwinkle?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
When I first noticed the "Imporbably History" title, I had incorrectly thought it said "Peabody's Impossible History".

I didn't see the first segment much until I got the DVDs, and for a long time I could never really understand the parts that show that it's a "what if" machine. I kept rewatching the Benjamin Franklin scenes to see what was really going on, confused.

When this comes out, I wonder if there'll be a "Complete Mr. Peabody and Sherman" boxed set. There was recently a "Complete Fractured Fairy Tales" boxed set.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd rather just get the complete Bullwinkle set than collect sets of all the little segments. Only reason to get those are for collectors or the ease of not having to sort through a bunch of episodes to find a specific segment of a specific show. Then of course, there's also the marathon play.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I still say the complete series sets of shows that had a decent run or a long run are impractical: those should really be reserved for short runners that lasted a season or two at best. Now, if I was able to get my hands on the complete series of THE MUNSTERS (which was only two seasons), I'd buy that... or any Krofft show for that matter, since almost all of them lasted one season (though SIGMUND AND THE SEA MONSTERS was two, the original LAND OF THE LOST was three).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'd rather just get the complete Bullwinkle set than collect sets of all the little segments. Only reason to get those are for collectors or the ease of not having to sort through a bunch of episodes to find a specific segment of a specific show. Then of course, there's also the marathon play.

Yeah, I wouldn't buy any "complete collection" sets for any of the supporting segments, since I have the first four boxed sets (the supporting segments were all repeats in the last season). But I wouldn't be surprised if such a set were put out to cash in on the movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still say the complete series sets of shows that had a decent run or a long run are impractical: those should really be reserved for short runners that lasted a season or two at best. Now, if I was able to get my hands on the complete series of THE MUNSTERS (which was only two seasons), I'd buy that... or any Krofft show for that matter, since almost all of them lasted one season (though SIGMUND AND THE SEA MONSTERS was two, the original LAND OF THE LOST was three).
I'd agree, but the complete series sets wind up being cheaper than buying the series set by set. In the case of the SHOUT released Nick shows, they're cheaper than buying 2 sets of half seasons! I already have the first and second seasons of Bullwinkle, but I wouldn't mind double dipping considering how pricy it would be to get the three I'm missing. If I can get it for just the right price, it'll wind up costing the same or less. My only complaint is, what happens if one of the disks doesn't work. And yes, that happened to me when I bought PPG.

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
So according to an A.V Club interview, Tom Kenny is voicing Bullwinkle in the upcoming short. While he's admittedly one of my favorite voice actors, I don't think he would've been anyone's first recast choice (why not Frank Welker?). But, what's funny is that apparently he didn't even want to voice Bullwinkle, and how he's anticipating that sort of overly critical response. Here's a quote:

"If it’s bad, as soon as you leave, I always picture the people going, “That’s Mr. Voiceover guy? He sucks.” “That’s Mr. Been-On-A-Zillion-Cartoons? He blows. That was the worst Bullwinkle I ever heard. Talk about ‘much ado about nothing.’” On all of these voice-matches, I figure if I can just be in the ballpark enough so that it’s not humiliating when I walk out, then they’ll go, “Eh, that wasn’t bad, but there’s another guy that’s better.” [Laughs.] That’s all I want. That’s all I’m asking for. I was very surprised when the Bullwinkle thing happened."

Drtooth

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm kinda surprised they didn't go with Dave Coulier. :big_grin: Kenny even kinda mentions that.

I could imagine Tom could do a good job. Guy is in everything that isn't voiced in Canada (couldn't get to play Raimundo again in the new Xiaolin Showdown).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Uhh... hmm... I don't know... I love Tom Kenny as much as everybody else does, but... I don't know if I can hear him doing Bullwinkle... I can't even really think of any voices in his arsenal that even remotely sound close to Bullwinkle... he could probably pull off Narrator with no problem, since PPG had that same kind of narrator... but why ISN'T Keith Scott voicing Bullwinkle, or Narrator? I mean, he STUDIED those voices, and he's been voicing Bullwinkle and Narrator in various different things since the deaths of both Bill Scott and Bill Conrad.

So I take it June Foray isn't going to be Rocky either? Or Natasha? And for that matter, Keith won't be Boris either?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Keith does kinda live in Australia. They could get him to record the dialogue there, sure, but I don't think they'd want to bother flying him up to California if there was someone readily available.

After reading the interview, Tom himself basically couldn't believe they passed him or Dave Coulier up and got him instead. They directly wanted Tom. He's really in disbelief about it. Somehow, I wonder why they didn't bother with Corey Burton, who pretty much replaced Bill Scott's characters decades before (on Gummi Bears... Skip Craig couldn't tell the difference, and he worked on the original Bullwinkle show). I do agree he'd probably make a better narrator. And strangely, he did kinda do a Fred (as in Super Chicken's Sidekick) voice for the Bullwinkle homage episode of Powerpuff Girls.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I read the full interview. They apparrently wanted him for Bullwinkle because of his experience as a comedian, not because he can pull of a perfect Bullwinkle. Character above voice.

And yes, June is confirmed to be returning as Rocky.