No more classic episodes to be released in the near future

ssetta

Reaction score
The reason why I am doing this is because they need to stop showing Seasons 39 and 40. It's getting really annoying. However, Season 35 is now airing on Sprout again. It would be really nice to see some Season 30 episodes on Sprout.

They are? I don't think they're airing Season 35, but they are airing Season 37 for the 5am airing and 7am Sat-Sun airings only. I was surprised, because they never had Season 37 before. It was a good season. But I do think showing 26-29 is out of the question. They're not even showing 30-33 anymore.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
They are? I don't think they're airing Season 35, but they are airing Season 37 for the 5am airing and 7am Sat-Sun airings only. I was surprised, because they never had Season 37 before. It was a good season. But I do think showing 26-29 is out of the question. They're not even showing 30-33 anymore.

They still air Seasons 30-34, but they just haven't aired them on Sprout in a long time. Season 35 is on XFINITY On Demand.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't think they'll divulge any 45th anniversary plans until the 44th season is over at least. Anything we'd get won't be announced for a little while at least, much like last time. When did we even find out about the big coffee table book? I doubt it was a year in advance.

Actually I remember hearing about some of the 40th anniversary stuff a year in advance. The 40th anniversary book was announced around the same time as Street Gang was announced (though I know Michael Davis spent five years working on Street Gang, could that have been announced sooner and I just didn't get the announcement until closer to that books release?). In August 2008 the Sesame Workshop Facebook page allowed fans to nominate clips for 40 Years of Sunny Days (that's the whole reason I got on Facebook in the first place... I think 13 of the clips I nominated appeared on the DVD), and shortly later they allowed for fans to vote on things to appear in the 40th anniversary book.

Actually, anyone subscribing to them on Youtube should see that they've started something called "Throwback Thursdays." And by that I mean, just started and they only have one not that old 90's or so clip of Ernie and Bert with a Banana telephone.

They're uploading things almost daily. Parody segments one day, songs another. We'll just have to wait until Thursday to see how committed they are to older segments.
Though for the last few years it seems most of the classic clips uploaded on YouTube are clips that can also be viewed at sesamestreet.org (though there have been a few that can't be watched on sesamestreet.org, like On Vacation with Guy Smiley and News Flash: The Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe). And sesamestreet.org hasn't added any classic clips since 2011 (and last time they did, it was after nearly a year of not uploading any classic clips at all, though most of the clips added were rare clips with rare characters).

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Wow...if Sesame Workshop really doesn't plan to release anymore classic episodes, that really will be a major pity. Like someone once mentioned, Shout! Factory would have been a better choice to produce SS DVDs, as they really seem to know how to deal with classic TV shows. Plus, they've had the great honor of releasing The Electric Company, and Ghostwriter on DVD (both of which were produced by SW), even though the former had 2 DVD sets (as well as 2 single disc DVDs), and the latter only had 1 DVD set. I mean, just who knows what Shout! Factory could have pulled off if they had the right to release SS DVDs?

When SW stopped releasing classic clips on Sesamestreet.org, I assumed that they would from now on release "new" classic clips on YouTube (this was when they posted the clips where David tries to make an egg cream like Mr. Hooper, and where Big Bird and Snuffy try to take a picture of the 2 of them together; coincidentally enough, they both feature Gordon) from then on. Boy, was I wrong!

It's also a real disappointment that there possibly won't be anymore iTunes releases. This was a great way to see more rare footage, and I was looking forward to more volumes. With the possible 45th anniversary coming, we'd BETTER see some kind of classic footage heavily making its way to DVD or online (or any other format) within the next year (especially rare clips)!

But all in all, yeah, it's pretty pretty depressing to read what Tim Carter said. Definitely sad news for Old School Sesame Street fans.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think it all adds up to what I've been saying. That some of the jobs lost were probably archival. And the irony is, said archival jobs could have created more revenue in the long run by releasing more and more of the back catalog that wouldn't sell well enough on the physical home video market. Unless there was either lack of demand to support the cost or some funny business with iTunes.

I absolutely HATED the butchering of the theme song from Old School 3, so no big loss if there's no Old School 4 from whomever releases these box sets.
While the fact that they couldn't get the rights to their own theme song is a freaking embarrassment (whatever legal loophole does something that painfully idiotic proves the copyright system is screwed up completely), that's no reason for us to never get a fourth box set. If we see a small delay in its release to actually fix that frightfully moronic rights tie up, that's a good thing.

Seriously. Did anyone actually talk to anyone about why they couldn't afford to put their own theme song on DVD?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Seriously. Did anyone actually talk to anyone about why they couldn't afford to put their own theme song on DVD?
I don't know, but Jim Martin is saying one of the reasons THE GREAT SPACE COASTER can't be released on DVD is because of the copyright surrounding its own theme song as well. Go figure. :smirk:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's one option I have thought of, and I can't remember if I've expressed this idea on the forum or not. I think I thought it up around the time that the online video player debuted, but maybe it'd be good if they did a few digital-only compilations, with no new footage.
Maybe make them 15-30 minutes long and do stuff themed by character (including characters who might not realistically get their own spotlight collections, like Biff and Sully, Roosevelt Franklin, and Leslie Mostly), some themed by recurring sketches (like Sesame Street News, Monsterpiece Theater, and Super Grover) and maybe even comets collections of recurring animated segments (all of the baker films are on sesamestreet.org, and all of the pinball segments are on Elmo's Magic Numbers, but they could put out complete actions of Jazz Numbers, The typewriter, and Teeny Little Super Guy, and this could be a Bette chance for complete collections of animated segments from each animator).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know, but Jim Martin is saying one of the reasons THE GREAT SPACE COASTER can't be released on DVD is because of the copyright surrounding its own theme song as well. Go figure. :smirk:
Music rights are despicable enough, but it's not like Sesame Street could never clear their own theme song before. This isn't a Married with Children borrowed Frank Sinatra tune deal. I just want to know why they couldn't get their own rights, as it seems like something on WB's end.