Are Ernie and Bert gay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hays

Reaction score
I think people get upset about this not because of the sexual preferences, but because discussions about sexuality are wildly inappropriate for preschoolers, just like suggesting their parents will eventually die. I myself would have a problem if Sesame Street had open discussions of these topics, although I plan to discuss them with my son when I think he's old enough to handle the information. Frankly, think about it - you don't discuss heterosexual relationships with your kids in that context.

None of this means I don't support homosexuals in their choice to do what makes them happy, nor would I ask them to hide their choice from my child, but it's still not an appropriate topic for preschool-specific television. Sesame Street clearly agrees with me on that point.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man
Well, I disagree with that. I mean, it's obvious that puppets have sexuality---I mean c'mon, Kermit, Piggy, Floyd, Janice, Gonzo, Camilla, Rizzo, even subtle signs in the fraggles.
*AHEM!*

:rolleyes:

Once again, Byron misses the obvious...

Clean Gultch

Reaction score
Have Bert and Ernie ever actually bathed together? Thats one of the arguments that people say to try and prove theyre gay. but ive never seen them bathe otgether.

Hays

Reaction score
Well, I've never seen him in the bath with Bert, but if they're going to use that as an argument, think about "Do De Rubber Duck;" he's in there with a cow, 2 monsters, 3 or 4 men...

Silly argument in general, no?:big_grin:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
think of the nursery rhyme...

rub a dub dub...three men in a tub....

i don't see any threads about this...this is a bigger worry to me:eek:

Sarah

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I feel it's a legitimate question to ask on the surface, but when you think about it for two minutes it just doesn't make any sense. I'm kind of offended that so many people seem have a problem with the question and fly off the handle. It's like saying, "I have no problem with gay people...unless they are in my family." Come one, you guys, let's be mature and fair on all sides of this. Reports from the Henson Company tell us they are not gay, but it's certainly not an insult. Steps off soap box. :frown: :stick_out_tongue: :concern:

Kye

Reaction score
So lets sum up what we have learned in this thread! This way, next week when someone posts it again, we can show them this page and all we be resolved.

These will be considered Muppet Central Facts! Lets make sure nobody has any revisions!

We, the People of Muppet Central, In order to clarify the coomonly asked question of Ernie and Berts Sexuality, hereby offer up these Undeniable statements that we believe are true! This, collection of truths, should finally put this common inquiry to rest.

1. That Ernie and Bert are preschool aged, and therefore sexuality is not an issue

2. That the creators of the characters have insisted that these characters were not now, nor ever, intended to represent a homosexual couple.

3.That some muppet characters, do portray signs of having some sexual feelings, through dating, or flirtation, yet Ernie or Bert never shoed any of these signs, because, as stated in #1, they are children.

4. That If a character was gay, which we have concluded that they are not, there would not be anything wrong with discussing it.

5.that this case should now, forever be closed.

We hold this Truth to Be quite obvious!

I will start a new post where we can all sign this, but first, does anyone have anything to add or change???:stick_out_tongue: :frown:

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
The one thing I always bring up when asked this by people i know "because they know i'm a Muppet fan" is that Jim Henson and Frank Oz were very close friends, they were not Gay or anything just having fun with the puppets.

Everyday people today in the younger geniration would most likey not know this, that Jim Henson voiced Ernie, and Frank Oz "who's Frank Oz?" voiced Bert, the same man that voiced Yoda from Star Wars as also Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Grover, Cookie Monster, Animal, and Sam the Eagle.

I have people come up to me and say oh no! I know for a fact they are Gay!! and then i'll tell them this and there mouths shut and all is peaceful again ( not to be taken in an anti Gay way, I mean the person who is making jokes on it shuts up then:wink:

Zack)Rowlf the, Sarah, i'm getting board with this, ya got anything new for the next 4 days? ...oh alright...We should all bow down to Sarah,dog.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
So tired of this question...

But still curious about the SS Muppets' "psychological age."

Status
Not open for further replies.