Muppet Film and TV References

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just a quick question regarding the legitimacy of this.

Did Sesame Street invent the "I can't hear you, I have a banana in my ear." bit?

Found one in "The New Super Mario World" animated series. They were using coconuts as tin can telephones ("Watermelons are too juicy. They'd drip right in your ear"), and Mario tested on on Luigi, to wit, Luigi states "I can't hear you! I got a coconut in my ear."

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Just a quick question regarding the legitimacy of this.

Did Sesame Street invent the "I can't hear you, I have a banana in my ear." bit?

Found one in "The New Super Mario World" animated series. They were using coconuts as tin can telephones ("Watermelons are too juicy. They'd drip right in your ear"), and Mario tested on on Luigi, to wit, Luigi states "I can't hear you! I got a coconut in my ear."
It's an old Vaudeville joke. Bert and Ernie did perhaps the most well-known variation, just as Abbott and Costello did the most well-known version of "Who's on First?". So, no Sesame Street didn't invent the bit (and A&C didn't invent "Who's on First?").

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
On My Life as a Teenage Robot in the episode involving a robot dummy (which I swear seems taken right out of Goosebumps) there's some puppets called Ert and Bernie which look like Ernie and Bert

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's an old Vaudeville joke. Bert and Ernie did perhaps the most well-known variation, just as Abbott and Costello did the most well-known version of "Who's on First?". So, no Sesame Street didn't invent the bit (and A&C didn't invent "Who's on First?").
Yeah. Didn't think so.

Katzi428

Reaction score
I remember that one. That was Howard (Simon Helberg). There was another episode where the guys were going to a costume party as superheroes (Raj got stuck being Aquaman). Something went wrong (can't remember what), so they considered going to the party as the Muppet Babies.
Raj: I get to be Kermit!
Sheldon: No, I'm Kermit. You're Scooter.
Raj: But Scooter sucks! He's the Aquaman of the Muppet Babies.
Yeah! Considering a lot of people only going to The Muppet Movie 2011 only Jim Parsons(the guy that plays Sheldon) play another role. I just find it coincidental. I like Big Bang Theory! :big_grin: (I wonder if & when we'll find out Penny's last name?)

Minstrel Murray

Reaction score
Jeffrey Tambor was on Craig Ferguson's show last week, and there was a little shout out to Muppets From Space. You can see it on the Late Late Show website (around 31:00), but you'll have to watch a bunch of commercials first. Here is what they said:

Jeffrey: What was the other movie that I did that you really liked?
Craig: Muppets in Space
Jeffrey: Muppets in Space!
Craig: That's a great movie.
Jeffrey: Very few people cite that.
Craig: You've done a lot of good movies, but that's a great movie. When you do that thing with the bear, you say to the bear "get the remote", and the bear says "the goat?", that's one of the funniest things.
Jeffrey: The Muppets are the best moment-to-moment actors going.
Craig: Oh no doubt, no doubt.
Jeffrey: You have to understand, they're beneath the floor and they're going like this (mimics puppeteering with hand over head), and ...
Craig: Anything you want to tell us about Santa or the Easter Bunny, by the way?
Jeffrey: Oh yeah, there goes that. Oh, and by the way, there's no Christmas.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You gotta love those Mad writers. They know who Zoot is. Even had Alfred E. Neuman stand in for him in that Limitless parody a few seasons back. Some skits they really show their work.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
I mean, they must know that kids have no clue who Zoot is. It's cool that they went that extra mile to please people who get the joke.