Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Speaking of the originals, I got TMNT Ultimate Collection Vol. 3 for my birthday about a month ago. To be honest, IDW's Ultimate Collections are insanely overpriced, reprinting only seven issues for $50, and they don't offer a cheaper alternative either. I'm very lucky to have gotten TMNT: The Collected Book Volume One (1990) back before the price shot up. It collects #1-11 of the original comics plus the four individual Turtles one-shots for only $16.95. At the prices IDW is charging for the Ultimate Collections, it would probably be cheaper to just buy the original comics, at least when it comes to the later issues.

As far as the content of TMNT Ultimate Collection vol. 3, the only really great story was the three-part Return to New York. The fact that Shredder soundly defeated the Turtles in #10 and made them leave the city highlights how serious a villain he was in the original comics, and in "Return," the Turtles attempt to take the city back from Shredder and the foot. It's actually the first and only time Eastman and Laird collaborate in UC: V3, the other stories, #12, 14, 15, and 17, being written and drawn by one or the other. Apparently they were in break-up mode at that point, citing creative differences, but when they get back together for #19-21, "Return," it highlights how much better the story and art is when they collaborate. Leonardo's final confrontation with Shredder in #21 is truly amazing, and is probably one of the greatest fights from the original comics. The other stories are a series of one-shots that are hit and miss, though mostly miss. #14, The Unmentionables, in which the Turtles help Casey Jones hunt down a brass bull stolen from atop a restaurant, feels like a Hardy Boys mystery with the Turtles shoehorned in, and feels like the worst of the bunch. #12, The Survivalists, was the only good one of the one-shots. The Turtles find themselves up against a group of gun-toting extremist survivalists calling themselves "The Committee to Rebuild American Patriotism," and they plan to set off a home-made nuke to star WW3 and send the country back to the stone age, just so they can prove what great survivalists they are. I felt the story was really ahead of its time, and my fav Turtle, Donatello, has a major part to play, being the only one who knows how to disarm the nuke.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have that one (the single issue) and completely forgot about it. Now that I think of it, he was totally a techie in the old comics. They just didn't use it that much. Either that or I can only really remember the saga where Leonardo gets seriously injured and they have to hide out on Casey's farm and the story arc about the Utroms.

Now that I think of it, maybe that's because they're the ones I read the most.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Have Bebop and Rocksteady appeared outside of the 80's cartoon continuity? Turtles Forever doesn't count, since it was an X-over of the different continuities. I'm four issues into the new IDW series and I'm hoping they appear later on. Dumb as the 80's show was, I always thought Bebop and Rocksteady were cool.

mr3urious

Reaction score
In Nick Turtles, April also seems to be a bit of a tech geek like Don, so the good chemistry they had in the 2K3 series (no pun intended) is maintained here, too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Have Bebop and Rocksteady appeared outside of the 80's cartoon continuity? Turtles Forever doesn't count, since it was an X-over of the different continuities. I'm four issues into the new IDW series and I'm hoping they appear later on. Dumb as the 80's show was, I always thought Bebop and Rocksteady were cool.
I forget which one, but the human form of one of them appeared in the IDW Raphael one-Shot. With IDW's tendency to use characters from all different TMNT continuities, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned up soon enough. I mean, they used the Neutrinos and Krang.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I forget which one, but the human form of one of them appeared in the IDW Raphael one-Shot. With IDW's tendency to use characters from all different TMNT continuities, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned up soon enough. I mean, they used the Neutrinos and Krang.
Yes, I was flipping through the TMNT Micro-series vol 1 collection at Barnes & Nobles and I believe both Bebop and Rocksteady appear in human form in the Raphael one-shot. At the end, they ask when they'll be transformed by the mutagen, to which a shadowy figure (Shredder???) replies "soon." I've only read vol 1 of the new IDW series, but I like how they seem to be building up to Shredder rather than using him immediately.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I recently found some comic book reprints at a book store. I considered buying one but didn't. But I would have if any of them included the very first comic book story arc.

So does anybody know if there are any reprints of the first Turtles storyarc in print?

tutter_fan

Reaction score
I've seen some episodes of the new TMNT, and I think Mikey is the best one. He is so hilarious! Is Donatello supposed to be the smart one?

mr3urious

Reaction score
Yes he is, tutter_fan.

Also, after thinking about it a bit, I think Rob Paulsen fits better voicing Donatello than he does Raphael. He's good at voicing nerdy characters.