Bring back the Muppet Show!

mupcollector1

Reaction score
No revival. . . The original show should be brought back!
Yeah in reruns. You know what amazes me is I discovered The Muppet Show when it reran on Nickelodeon. I notice more and more there are young fans out there and perhaps they discovered The Muppet Show characters through the new movie or perhaps another way. It makes me wonder how the new generation of Muppet fans discover The Muppets? Especially how rental video stores only exist through the internet now a days.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
I agree that the original series should be brought back to television, purely for the sake of seeing how popular it is after all these years. If there was to be a new season of the show, it'd be treading a very fine line and if it was too new or too repetitive, I doubt it would last long. However, I can easily imagine an episode with Hugh Jackman or Ellen Degeneres. There would be so much to explore and offer as entertainment.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I strongly feel that if a new Muppet series were to come out, I would just love it to see that classic irreverent anarchy Muppet formula comedy again. Some might feel that it's too old hat, and tiresome to see the antics of bad campy puns, cartoon violent slapstick, monsters eating other characters, wild silliness, random explosions, and weird and strangeness that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But that's my favorite thing about The Muppets. To me it's like The Three Stooges need their slapstick and Looney Tunes needs their cartoon violence and explosives.
Though the other half of The Muppets which Disney's doing a great job with is showing that even though the main characters are quite dysfunctional, highlighting the sweetness of them all caring about each other as the little family they are. A great aspect that was in The Muppet Show and The Movies, it's great to see that still because it's truly the positive spirit of The Muppets. But in my opinion I feel the humor has been tone down.

LipsGF4Life

Reaction score
I just hope that if the show does come back, Lips can get his own solo and him and Trumpet Girl can be featured.

Mister Muppet

Reaction score
I think a new Muppet show would be a good idea, and I think it would be cool for them to show reruns of The Muppet Show

Kermoot

Reaction score
If we can't get seasons 4 and 5 on DVD what makes you think it's gonna be on tv people?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Agreed. I'm sure there's probably some loophole for the music rights on TV show reruns (though DIC's cartoons kinda prove that to not be true... reruns of Mario cartoons and Captain N have their respective songs crudely edited out).

But the biggest problem is where the heck are they going to put it?

mupcollector1

Reaction score
If we can't get seasons 4 and 5 on DVD what makes you think it's gonna be on tv people?
Well I won't loose hope just yet. I think if Disney seen how much support from fans there is, the more chance it'll be released. Kind of like how there was a petition for Fraggle Rock to be on DVD from fans awhile back. And also since the show used copyrighted music and at the time no one ever thought releasing full seasons of TV shows for home video use was possible. So the contracts in terms of licensing the songs were different. Today someone can use music and the contracts would state distribution on a home video release but back then the idea of having TV shows which someone can watch anytime they want wasn't available yet. That's usually the complications with older shows. I remember when Disney released Season 1 and it was edited, I think they want to make sure that won't happen again with the other seasons.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Agreed. I'm sure there's probably some loophole for the music rights on TV show reruns (though DIC's cartoons kinda prove that to not be true... reruns of Mario cartoons and Captain N have their respective songs crudely edited out).

But the biggest problem is where the heck are they going to put it?
Funny you mentioned that, I have a friend who's a huge Mario fan and he showed that aspect to me a few weeks ago. Plus he's extremely excited that Inspector Gadget is coming out on DVD.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I think it would be cool for them to show reruns of The Muppet Show
Definitely, I remember when the reruns ended on Nickelodeon and it was just Muppet Babies. Though it was a good thing Muppets Tonight came on shortly after. I don't have cable anymore but it would be awesome if they were to repete on TV Land or something like that. :smile: