Project Puppet Patterns with full head

amyleew1

Reaction score
Hi there

I have been hanging around this forum for a couple days now reading some tips and it has been quite helpful. I have made half of a monster puppet using Project Puppet's Roly Head pattern but I am already looking forward to my next project.

I have tried to use the contact form at Project Puppet to ask them if any of the simple series patterns have the entire head in foam all the way to the neck. Does anyone know? I did read a few threads here about how much everyone seems to like Project Puppet and I will say, they did make my first puppet really easy.

Ideally I would really love to get Mostro next but I don't really have $50 at the moment. Does Melonhead or Pinhead pattern have the entire scull in foam? The Roly only has the top part or is this the same for all patterns so you can fit your hand in?

Amy

downunderbatman

Reaction score
Hi mate,

Only the forma series patterns have the full foam head. Even mostro is only the top skull in foam. Hope that helps. They are all well worth the cost and each one offers different ideas.

Greg

amyleew1

Reaction score
Thanks so much Greg. I just got an email from Project Pattern to say that it costs $40 to post a ship only pattern to Australia so I am not going to be able to buy any of their patterns. Shipping is just too expensive and I'm struggling to even come up with the pattern price before you double it for shipping.

Safe to say I'm devastated. I finished my first Roly puppet last night and I love him so much and I so badly want Mostro even more now I can see how good the Roly turned out.

downunderbatman

Reaction score
Totally understand. I'm in Australia and have the same dilemma for cost. Best advice I can give you is to save up, they really are well worth it. I have all the project puppet patterns and they are all fantastic. You could also try adding just some chin foam under the mouthplate to beef the head up a bit. I did that with a recent baby puppet I made in a post down the page a bit and I was happy with how it turned out.

There are some cheaper patterns around that are downloadable but in my opinion not nearly as detailed or user friendly.

Good luck,

Greg

amyleew1

Reaction score
Everyone says they are worth the expense but $90 is just too much for me for one pattern and that is before I even buy anything to make it with. I have only made one puppet and I don't have the skills to be winging it yet. Every link I can find for patterns are either broken or no longer available or they just don't have enough information for me to work out how to use them. That, or they are just a head and I have no idea how to make a body to fit.

janel

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a question for downunderbatman I was just wondering what sort of fleece do you use to make ur puppets? Im new to makeing puppets and all I read about is how atron fleece is the best and as I am in Australia we dont have atron fleece here thats why im wondering what u use.

Rymoore21

Reaction score
Here is my opinion: Antron fleece is what the muppets are made of. Many puppet builders go for that "muppet" look but in all honesty, you need to make your puppets out of whatever materials you can afford and most importantly, the materials you PREFER. There are so many muppet knock-offs out there and your only hope in this community is to be original. I have used fleece, fur, flannel, rugs, etc. You really just need to make sure that the puppet has a decent weight to it (not too heavy nor too light) and that it works. Not all puppets are made from fleece. Some are made from pure foam, some are made from cardboard, and some are even made from rubber. The effectiveness of your puppet depends on the effectiveness of the character you create. Some of the best puppetry I have ever seen involve puppets made from crude material. The best part about puppetry is this: THERE ARE NO RULES! Be creative, be unique, HAVE FUN! This forum gave me my start and it is a great place to learn. Oh, and regarding patterns, search YouTube and you will learn how to make your own patterns.

Much Love,

Ryan Moore
Fruppet Puppets

downunderbatman

Reaction score
I have ordered Antron fleece in but have only used it once so far. I go to spotlight and use high quality polar fleece. Works great and hides the seams well in my opinion. My Kermit and Ernie were both made from that fleece.

cjspiteri

Reaction score
THERE ARE NO RULES! Be creative, be unique, HAVE FUN! This forum gave me my start and it is a great place to learn.

Ryan Moore
Fruppet Puppets
Just found this now. I can not find antron fleece or any other fleece in Thailand that does not have some goofy pattern of christmas trees and elves or animal skins mock ups. I've resorted to digging through the bargan bins for fleece pullovers/jumpers/sweats/sweaters. The material has just the right stretch.

I've taken all my patterns from the internet and now that Project Puppet has downloadable patterns i will put an order in soon (Trying to hook up paypal...difficult and costly to pay my CC from overseas).