What are your secret fears?

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'm rather freaked out by elevators, but if needed I can suck it up and use them. I've made a bit of progress on that in recent years. I'm also rather scared of bad weather situations, like severe rain storms and other events like that.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Yes, monsters now are actually very tame. But back in Season 1, there were quite a few that were meant to be scary. A lot of them were holdovers from when the Muppets appeared on variety shows Ed Sullivan, Jack Paar, etc. Jim designed them, Don Sahlin built them, and Frank performed them. They were pretty ugly, had sharp teeth, and were not meant to be friendly. They were MONSTERS, and they were INTENDED to be scary. That was the idea. And the idea worked all too well.

Back in 1969, there was no Elmo, no Zoe, no Telly, no Rosita, no monster that was remotely cute or cuddly. Grover back then was an ugly brownish-green, and Cookie used to interrupt Kermit's lectures, eat the props, and once tried to eat Kermit (very first episode, Kermit demonstrating the letter W).

Like I said, back in the first season some Muppet skits were pretty edgy, and the monsters were supposed to make you a little nervous. Maybe you had to be there, says the old geezer...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You know, there is something very unnerving about the original design of Snorky...he's always kind of freaked me out...

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I used to be scared of elevators, not so much now, but a couple times, my dad pushed the wrong button on an elevator and setting off alarms or calling for help, so that freaked me out some.

My other fears are tornadoes, all kinds of bugs except butterflies, ladybugs and caterpillars. I also don't like going to the doctors for fear of needles and finding out results of certain tests (blood tests, blood pressure, etc.), snakes and the potential of having a heart attack.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Since I've been lurking through this thread, my secrets fears are pretty much tears. I'm afraid of thunderstorms and the sound of thunder freaks me out. I don't go to the pool because I can't swim and I'm afraid of drowning. Loud noises hurt my ears (they're verty sensitive), and monsters (not Muppet monsters). I'm also scared of heights.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Monkeys, man. They'll rip you to pieces. Also, I'm sort of afraid of Michael Bay; he's a brainless hack who is now taking over one of my favorite franchises, TMNT. Seriously, I know most people are just angry at him, but he frightens me; he's too powerful, and I don't know which of my beloved childhood memories he's going to crap all over next. Ghostbusters? Roger Rabbit? Who can say? He's all-powerful, and I'm afraid of the things I love being ruined through terrible movies, like Frank Miller ruined The Spirit or DC Comics ruined Green Lantern.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Monkeys, man. They'll rip you to pieces. Also, I'm sort of afraid of Michael Bay; he's a brainless hack who is now taking over one of my favorite franchises, TMNT. Seriously, I know most people are just angry at him, but he frightens me; he's too powerful, and I don't know which of my beloved childhood memories he's going to crap all over next. Ghostbusters? Roger Rabbit? Who can say? He's all-powerful, and I'm afraid of the things I love being ruined through terrible movies, like Frank Miller ruined The Spirit or DC Comics ruined Green Lantern.
It is frustrating that he keeps getting rewarded for nonsense.

HootsytheOwl

Reaction score
Hi all...

Well, my fears really aren't secret...I tend to tell people when something bugs me. However, I am absolutely terrified of nuclear explosions. It doesn't matter if it's an accident or a war. ( though war is even scarier than an accident...)

And the old Emergency Broadcast System...eeek, with that e, b, and s just staring evilly at you....and that awful beeeeeeeeeeeeep noise, and the possibility that someday it just may not be a test.

In the early 80's, when we were still worried about Russia, I was watching the Smurfs one Saturday. Mom n dad were still asleep. And the Civil Defense + EBS logo came on and said " BEEEEEEEEEEP!!!" " THIS IS NOT A TEST!!" I freaked out and went under the couch....turned out to be a tornado warning a few counties away. I was never so glad to see the weatherman who came on after that message in all my life. I hope...by all that is holy............that we never ever face that terror for real.

Your dear friend,
Kitt