Of Muppets and Men Appreciation Thread

cjd874

Reaction score
(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLtBIrpwWZc (Part 6)

I didn't find any threads here on this TV documentary. I just want to say that this is just as incredible as the actual Muppet shows and movies. I am simply amazed by how everything works, and how everyone contributes a little something to make a remarkable whole. I loved seeing how Jim, Frank, Dave, Richard, Jerry, Steve, Louise, and Kathy brought the Muppets to life, and how the writers developed each character, and how the band, puppet builders, choreographers, producers, and directors made the show so special.

What are your thoughts on this special?

Skekayuk

Reaction score
I love this special. I've seen many docmentaries about TMS. But i think what MAKES this one the best is that it was actually made during the run of TMS. All the other specials are restrospective, but this one wasn't. - Oh and have to highlight that hilarious scene in the recording studio "Uh oh she's drowning".

cjd874

Reaction score
I love this special. I've seen many docmentaries about TMS. But i think what MAKES this one the best is that it was actually made during the run of TMS. All the other specials are restrospective, but this one wasn't. - Oh and have to highlight that hilarious scene in the recording studio "Uh oh she's drowning".
Couldn't agree more.
I also love that segment where they prerecord the vocals for Lew's singing fish:
Dave: Gluugggg...
Steve: Gluuugg... (Louise stifles her laughter)
Louise: GLUG!!!
Dave: Glugg...
Louise: PWAhahahahaha! (spits water out)
Steve: Haaahahaha!
Offscreen voice: Uh oh, she's drowwwwning! Someone help her!

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I always got a kick out of the scenes in which we actually get to see the gang puppeteering.

Nasubionna

Reaction score
This is possibly my favorite documentary of ALL TIME. What I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall for this whole wonderful, creative process!

KingR76

Reaction score
Way back in 1991 my Grandparents gave me an ex Library copy of the hardback "Of Muppets and Men." they had inscribed it to me :smile:

Its not in the best condition, rather tatty and what have you blah blah blah but it was the second item I had on me when I met Frank a few years ago, he was quite impressed with it, Steve signed it as well last year, I wouldnt even consider trying to go for anyone else- A. Because of the obvious :'( B. Because its very fragile now.

cjd874

Reaction score
Way back in 1991 my Grandparents gave me an ex Library copy of the hardback "Of Muppets and Men." they had inscribed it to me :smile:

Its not in the best condition, rather tatty and what have you blah blah blah but it was the second item I had on me when I met Frank a few years ago, he was quite impressed with it, Steve signed it as well last year, I wouldnt even consider trying to go for anyone else- A. Because of the obvious :'( B. Because its very fragile now.
That just might be the most beautiful picture of the Muppeteers I've ever seen. It's high-quality, and all of the main Muppets are present and accounted for!
It's also incredible that you got Frank Oz & Steve Whitmire to sign it. Out of curiosity, what was the other item that you had with you when you met the Muppeteers?

KingR76

Reaction score
That just might be the most beautiful picture of the Muppeteers I've ever seen. It's high-quality, and all of the main Muppets are present and accounted for!
It's also incredible that you got Frank Oz & Steve Whitmire to sign it. Out of curiosity, what was the other item that you had with you when you met the Muppeteers?
I totally love it :smile:

Have taken pictures of it, not using the scanner as because (like I said the book is awesomely fragile and I dont want to have to expose it to being put to any more stress and scanning pictures in which could cause damage) but have used the iphone instead.

The week I met Frank was also the week that the Star Wars Blu Ray had come out, and it was at that time Frank was going in the ordinary way into the Theatre to the play he was Directing (and at that time he had been unhampered by autograph dealers) when I met him it was obvious I was a Fan:

"No problem." and "Be careful, this might rub off." were some of the words that came out of this very kind mans mouth.

He signed Star Wars Blu Ray first, then Of Muppets and Men (in the Book theres different pages for the different Muppeteers:

Jim Henson.
Frank Oz.
Jerry, Richard and Dave.
Steve Louise and Kathy.

Frank signed his page, I then asked if he'd be ok to Sign a Season of the Muppet Show, I had Season 2 and 3 (both with Fozzie and Miss Piggy on either cover) to which he said "I'll try." to which he did and it was on Season 3 (Fozzie) that the Pen slightly rubbed off to which Frank said "Be careful this might rub off, don't touch that for a while. " when he signed Season 2 he said "This is much better for some reason." and then he posed for the photo. As it was just me and someone who was getting their Star Wars poster signed (who was nice enough to take the photo) he spent about two minutes - and then... A week or so later the poor man was hounded by Autograph dealers who took the pee, its now become common knowledge how they practically attacked him :frown:

But for me Frank was as nice and lovely as you can imagine :smile:

Steve, Signed The Muppet Show Season 1, also Signed his page in the Book and Fraggle Rock complete collection, whats nice is he signs it as the Character so on the DVD/Book its Kermit :smile: And on Fraggle Rock Wembley.

Here's some more lovely pictures:

And there's something about this one that I just Love :smile:

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
I have this book in like new condition, and found it on ebay for $50! It was a CRAZY steal because I've seen books in bad condition go up to $1,000!!