Positive And Negative: The Muppet Movie (Opinions on TMM)

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
Pros
1. Rainbow Connection.
2. Bernie's fear of alligators.
3. Kermit's bicycle scene.
4. Drinks on the house!
5. Fozzie comforting Kermit during Doc Hopper's commercial.
6. Movin' Right Along.
7. Mad Man Mooney scene.
8. Bob Hope's honey joke.
9. I Hope That Something Better Comes Along.
10. Fozzie's rendition of America the Beautiful.
11. Kermit walking in cowboy boots.
12. The bus ride through Hollywood.
13. The Magic Store.
14. Scooter hitting his hand with the clapboard grip.
15. The Rainbow Connection Finale. (With all the characters from TMS, SS, SNL, and Emmett Otter)
16. According to the book "The Importance of Jim Henson", Whitmire had an early experience doing puppetry work for Kermit during the Rainbow Connection number when controlling a remote control device to assist Kermit's hands on the banjo.

Cons
1. Mel Brooks and Choris Lecharman characters.
2. I'm Going to go Back There Someday.
3. Most of Never Before Never Again with the exception of Kermit in his trenchcoat get up.

GonzoWaltsfan

Reaction score
Pros;

-Loved all the songs pretty much
-Every one, even Rowlf had some funny moments.
-The showdown at the end
-Finale song

Cons;

-Miss Piggy, honestly how Kermit put up with her in this film is beyound me. Right as soon as she got a part in a film she'd run off and leave him behind. On the car ride she doesn't think Kermit should be angry with her? I really disliked her in this film.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
The film is virtually perfect. I think the cons listed in this thread are complete obsessive-compulsive insanity, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. And that's mine. There will never be another Muppet film quite as good as the first one. However, I'm glad that they keep trying! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
My only complaint is the crummy print the US got stuck with, getting rid of part of Rowlf's song and playing the music too loudly over the credits to hear the characters talking over them. Not to mention the fact that every new home video cuts off the original ending logos for legal reasons.

Other than that, it's the best Muppet Movie. Debatable for those who prefer Great Muppet Caper. I can't really choose between those two movies.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I agree with others that TMM was virtually flawless. I didn't like "Never Before, Never Again" and think it's the worst song from the film, but rousing hits like "Movin' Right Along" and "Can You Picture That" more than make up for it. Also, the carnival scene celebrity cameos seemed very rushed and forgettable compared to the other cameos in the film; Elliot Gould, Richard Prior, and Bob Hope had no time to be truly funny, while Milton Berle, Mel Brooks, Dom Deluise, and Steve Martin all had memorable cameos. Even James Coburn had a great one-liner in his brief cameo. But again, these are minor complaints about one of the greatest films of all time.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
the only thing i dont like is never before never again the song itself not the scene but the song. But i do understand it kind of is part of muppet history!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that every new home video cuts off the original ending logos for legal reasons.
I find it interesting that the Jim Henson Pictures logo stays in the films after Disney's purchase, when Jim Henson Pictures wasn't formed in 1979 or 1981. Makes me hope that if Muppet Babies (or any Disney-owned production with an animated Jim Henson Productions logo sequence) ever gets a DVD release that the animated logo sequences with Kermit's hand get to be included.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Also, the carnival scene celebrity cameos seemed very rushed and forgettable compared to the other cameos in the film; Elliot Gould, Richard Prior, and Bob Hope had no time to be truly funny, while Milton Berle, Mel Brooks, Dom Deluise, and Steve Martin all had memorable cameos. Even James Coburn had a great one-liner in his brief cameo. But again, these are minor complaints about one of the greatest films of all time.
Ironically, it's the carnival cameos like Pryor and Hope's that I enjoy the most, lol. Even if they were short, they perfectly demonstrated why these guys were funny. :smile:

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Ironically, it's the carnival cameos like Pryor and Hope's that I enjoy the most, lol. Even if they were short, they perfectly demonstrated why these guys were funny. :smile:
To each his own. I just never felt they lived up to cameos such as Steve Martin, who was simply uproarious as the goofy waiter:smile:.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Muppet Movie took quite a few cues from It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World... Pryor could have had more screen time, but I doubt that was the point. The short, ultra quick cameos are what gave TMM oomph.

That said, I love Pryor and all, but let's be thankful he wasn't like he was in Superman 3.