Help With Eyelids

llamallover

Reaction score
I'm very confused about how to make eyelids on a puppet. Could anyone explain this?

Thanks!:insatiable:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What kind of eyes are they? Are they round, flat, circular, oval? Will the eyelids be permanent?

llamallover

Reaction score
They are round (each made from half a styrofoam ball). They will be permanent.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, here's what you can do...

Get some scraps of the desired fabric you want, place them firmly over how much of the eyes you want to cover, and pin them, that will give you an idea of how to pattern them, after you pattern them and cut them out, you can attach them to the eyes. I personally use hot glue when I attach stuff like that.

llamallover

Reaction score
Well, here's what you can do...

Get some scraps of the desired fabric you want, place them firmly over how much of the eyes you want to cover, and pin them, that will give you an idea of how to pattern them, after you pattern them and cut them out, you can attach them to the eyes. I personally use hot glue when I attach stuff like that.
Thank you so much for your help! Before I thought that the eyelids had to be attached to the rest of the muppet, but now I realize that they do not.

JacobsBest

Reaction score
For the edge/rim of the eyelid I use sheets of craft foam. I have a big mulit-color pack and I try to use a complimentary color to that of the lid. I start by applying a thin line of hot glue slightly higher (the width of the craft foam) than I want the lid to be and stretch and glue the fleece down. I press down by cupping my hand over it. I follow this with another strip and so on until I get to the end. I do this rather than applying glue to the whole thing, because if you do not work fast enough you get noticeable bumps and ridges where the glue dried too quickly. I thine add the craft foam lid. And of course, pupil is the last thing I would add after getting the eyes attached to the head.

llamallover

Reaction score
Thank you, JacobsBest! This was very useful! I get how to apply an eyelid now! :insatiable:

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Use Push pins to position the eye- take a picture and evaluate. Once you have what you want simply take the eye off but keep the push pins in. When you go to glue the eye on you'll get the exact position you want by letting the push pins be your guide.