Marvin The Martian And Hong Kong Phooey Movies Leaked

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, Marvin actually looks good, but Hong Kong Phooey is pretty awful.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Phooey looks basically what I'd expect (I posted this in another thread, BTW). Very Scooby-Doo ish. I take more issue with his out of character hyper activity. Hey! That's the same exact reason I hated new George of the Jungle. Why must old cartoon characters all the sudden turn into ADHD versions of themselves? Phooey has a big ego (they got that right at least), but he's mellow and laid back. Not to mention he is completely and utterly oblivious to everything. Actually, know who would be a perfect voice actor for him? Garret Morris. Other than that and the toilet humor (tap dancing across the line on that one) there could be potential... but I'd see the film work more as a mild Blaxploitation parody.

Marvin looks good minus the blue eyes and height. That one seems like it could have been either a decent film or something starring a bunch of annoying kids. The plot somehow sounds like it could have been used for an unrealized Pinky and the Brain movie.

But above all, these are test footage. That doesn't mean the films are happening. Quite the opposite. Seems both projects are dead. Not that I wouldn't want some sort of Hong Kong Phooey reboot project. I just think that's the completely wrong film and style of film for it. I'd rather see some reimagined cartoon where he's the worst student at a Kung Fu temple in his secret identity as Penrod Pooch, but as Hong Kong Phooey, he's a legendary master (though he really isn't).

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Er, the Filmforce article's tag says these are test footage leaks of unproduced movies... So I rully dunno if that means they will or won't be made.
But as soon as I saw/read the headline, I thought, what will Drtooth's reaction be?

Edit: And I've been ziffled.
Erm, you mean his secret identity of Henry Hound don't you?
*Hears Sarge in his Botch-esque voicing yelling "Henry! ! !"

Drtooth

Reaction score
But as soon as I saw/read the headline, I thought, what will Drtooth's reaction be?
Not quite the reaction I had like 8 or so years ago when both films were announced. Of course, that long ago I actually liked films like that. Actually... no... Marvin the Martian was announced 2007 ish, and I was more of a "let's wait and see" attitude. I forget when they first threatened to make a Hong Kong Phooey movie, but I kinda liked the idea.

Erm, you mean his secret identity of Henry Hound don't you?
*Hears Sarge in his Botch-esque voicing yelling "Henry! ! !"
Nope. The official spelling is "Penry" or "Penrod" with a P. Trust me on that. There are a lot of people who are confused and say they heard his name as Henry, even when they made an official Cartoon Network Presents story. But Penrod/Penry is on all the official press materials and model sheets.
That said, I wonder why they'd bother making a movie based on a 1970's cartoon when the 70's phase died in the early 00's, especially since HKP only ever appeared in one other show besides his own, the Scooby Laff a Lympics series. Scooby-Doo was impossible to escape in the late 90's on CN, and he's still really popular today. I don't know if kids would care for something that their parents are even too young to have seen.

galagr

Reaction score
Oy, I don't like the looks of the Hong Kong Phooey test footage. He's a lot more laid back than they show him. Also, I was hoping they would stay away from another CGI dog movie. Between Underdog, and those god-awful "Buddies" movies, I was hoping they would keep him in cartoon form.

On the bright side, I like the looks of the Marvin the Martian test footage. Maybe it's just my love for Marvin the Martian, but I think it could do relatively well. Although, I could see him in a "road trip through the galaxy" type movie. Ah well, at least it'll get rid of some attention from the other alien named Marvin;

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oy, I don't like the looks of the Hong Kong Phooey test footage. He's a lot more laid back than they show him. Also, I was hoping they would stay away from another CGI dog movie. Between Underdog, and those god-awful "Buddies" movies, I was hoping they would keep him in cartoon form.
On a technicality, they did. He's one of those annoying hybrid realistic/cartoonish things. I'd place him closer to Yogi Bear or the Smurfs than Underdog. Underdog was taking a real dog. At least this time HKP was able to walk on his hind legs. I wouldn't picture a Hong Kong Phooey movie that looks any different. As long as they don't go full on Underdog. I just hope that if this does happen, they have a better script. And someone who isn't Eddie Murphy as HKP.

On the bright side, I like the looks of the Marvin the Martian test footage. Maybe it's just my love for Marvin the Martian, but I think it could do relatively well. Although, I could see him in a "road trip through the galaxy" type movie. Ah well, at least it'll get rid of some attention from the other alien named Marvin;
I'm going to pretend that series doesn't exist. Nick's live action shows are the worst and that's really saying something. Besides, there's already a much better alien based sitcom on ABC. it's hardly 3rd Rock from the Sun, but it's far better than that.

As for the Marvin the Martian movie? I doubt that's going to happen either.

matleo

Reaction score
I actually like the design and execution of HKP here. It's a nice mix between the original design and a the texture of an actual dog. It's unfortunate though that the filmmakers feel they have to resprt to a grotesque amount of not just gross out humor but quite literally bathroom humor as if anyone finds that funny. I am also in the camp that would like to hear someone other than Eddie Murphy as the voice of HKP. Personally, I would rather see someone like Wayne Brady in the role as I think he'd give Hong Kong the right amount of panache!

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's a conspiracy that toilet humor is shoved into kid's movies to purposely get a PG rating. There's potential in Hong Kong Phooey the movie, but they need to start over. No hyper TUFF Puppy stuff. It doesn't work with the character.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
HKP seems way to hyper here and also a bit of a moron. He might have been inept, but he wasn't a hyperactive moron :/